• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

President Obama Defends Choosing a White Male for the US Supreme Court

Ntharotep

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Reuters - Obama Defends Choice of White Male for Supreme Court
"President Barack Obama on Thursday defended his pick of a white man to fill a U.S. Supreme Court vacancy against criticism he could have chosen someone from a more diverse background, saying Merrick Garland was "indisputably qualified" for the post."

Ok. I haven't been a big fan of the current administration (or the one just before it for that matter). I don't hate the President and I can name off a few things that got done under his watch.
That being said...
Seriously??

The President has to defend choosing a white man to fill a position now?
What in the bloody blue blazes is going on in this country??

The rest about Garland facing an uphill battle and the idea that the next President should choose the Supreme Court nominee can be discussed to but the main headline is what caught my eye on this one.

And...debate if there is a debate here...

"President Barack Obama on Thursday defended his pick of a white man to fill a U.S. Supreme Court vacancy against criticism he could have chosen someone from a more diverse background, saying Merrick Garland was "indisputably qualified" for the post."

Ok. I haven't been a big fan of the current administration (or the one just before it for that matter). I don't hate the President and I can name off a few things that got done under his watch.
That being said...
Seriously??

The rest about Garland facing an uphill battle and the idea that the next President should choose the Supreme Court nominee can be discussed to but the main headline is what caught my eye on this one.

I agree. Why does Obama have to defend his choice at all? Shouldn't people look at who Obama appointed for their qualifications instead of their goddamn race?! What does that have to do with anything?

I am so happy he did.

I want him to get his pick in, wouldn't trust the GOP to not act shady with a more.....diverse pick.

His race really shouldn't matter, anyway. All that matters is that he's capable and flexible with a good sense of constitutionality.

I feel like the diversity of a SCOTUS candidate should come from their professional background, not the color of their skin. How are ever going to become a post-racial society if we constantly challenge the advancement, employment, or selection of anybody for anything on the basis of their skin color?

I feel like the diversity of a SCOTUS candidate should come from their professional background, not the color of their skin. How are ever going to become a post-racial society if we constantly challenge the advancement, employment, or selection of anybody for anything on the basis of their skin color?
Exactly. The only way we are gonna get past all this racial BS going on within America, is that we have to stop constantly focusing on race. Otherwise, this is never going to end.

That being said...
Seriously??

The main "diversity" issue I have with the Supreme Court is that they often draw from Ivy Leagues graduates.

And again, I feel schadenfreude watching idiotic identity politics that dominates the Democrat party finally turn inward.

It's heartening to see traditionally Democrat supporters finally questioning Affirmative Action... they just couldn't see the idiocy until it was leveled against a Democrat.

The main "diversity" issue I have with the Supreme Court is that they often draw from Ivy Leagues graduates.
And that's a valid criticism of the diversity of the Supreme Court. Because you're actually focusing on their credentials instead of their race. Because their credentials are what truly matter, not the color of their skin.

Exactly. The only way we are gonna get past all this racial BS going on within America, is that we have to stop constantly focusing on race. Otherwise, this is never going to end.

You are right. We need to get NASCAR out of this discussion. :mrgreen:

And that's a valid criticism of the diversity of the Supreme Court. Because you're actually focusing on their credentials instead of their race. Because their credentials are what truly matter, not the color of their skin.

It seems to create, at least to me, a closed pool of the "elite" who get to judge us.

And again, I feel schadenfreude watching idiotic identity politics that dominates the Democrat party finally turn inward.

It's heartening to see traditionally Democrat supporters finally questioning Affirmative Action... they just couldn't see the idiocy until it was leveled against a Democrat.
I feel you. I'm glad that a lot of liberals (like me) are starting to realise how stupid it is that we keep on trying to focus too much on things like race and gender, so much so that so many morons like to 'spot' racism and sexism where it clearly isn't. And it still annoys me so much at how so many liberals will continue to focus so unhealthily on race and gender.

That being said...
Seriously??

A little disturbing. You are right.

That being said...
Seriously??

this is what happens when you let political correctness run the country.
this is a making really of his own doing. while I agree he shouldn't have to defend his pick.

this is liberalism run amuck in this country and the fact is no one can do anything about it anymore.
we have thrown all logic and reason to the wind and have allowed feeling and emotions to drive
every single law and policy that we have.

this is not longer America the home of the free it is America home of the offended.

Yep. If you look at the President's appointees, there is a very large number of Harvard graduates among them. Does Stanford, Oregon State, Wisconsin State, University of Tennessee Martin, BYU or any one of hundreds (thousands??) of other colleges/universities not have anyone graduating from them that could do these jobs??

Yep. If you look at the President's appointees, there is a very large number of Harvard graduates among them. Does Stanford, Oregon State, Wisconsin State, University of Tennessee Martin, BYU or any one of hundreds (thousands??) of other colleges/universities not have anyone graduating from them that could do these jobs??

Ick, filthy plebs. :2razz:

It comes off as an insular oligarchy of law makers.
Genius is sometimes random and sometimes hereditary.
We're leaving too much genius off the table.

Im sure that has nothing to do with the smartest law minds choosing to attend ivy league law schools....

Would there be any change if it enlarged to elite non-Ivy private unis and elite state unis on a more consistent basis?

I wouldn't mind seeing more people from places like Stanford, Cal, Duke, Michigan, and such, but that's still picking from the most elite bunch.

Then again, the great Earl Warren went to Cal.....

Im sure that has nothing to do with the smartest law minds choosing to attend ivy league law schools....

So you're saying that of all the potentially capable people, who could be able jurists, that they all only go to Ivy Leagues and that the Ivy Leagues, have an untainted way of selecting said individuals?
That income, legacy admissions, et all, serve no factor on who actually attends?

Would there be any change if it enlarged to elite non-Ivy private unis and elite state unis on a more consistent basis?

I wouldn't mind seeing more people from places like Stanford, Cal, Duke, Michigan, and such, but that's still picking from the most elite bunch.

Then again, the great Earl Warren went to Cal.....

School selection shouldn't matter, the work record and legal opinions should matter more.
Just my opinion.

School selection shouldn't matter, the work record and legal opinions should matter more.
Just my opinion.

While I don't disagree concerning either race or school, what constitutes work record and qualifications may be skewed based on our own prejudices, thus leaving those with excellent work records and legal opinions out in the cold merely due to race. Nearly everyone considered has an excellent work history and body of work that qualifies them. This being true, if you only get white men from the Ivy league, it's far to question why.

That being said...
Seriously??

Yeah, he’s a white guy, but he’s a really outstanding jurist. Sorry,” Obama said of Garland, 63, calling him "indisputably qualified to serve on the highest court in the land."

I have enormous amounts of respect for President Obama after reading that. Good for him. He shouldn't have to be dragged down into the sewer to have to answer that kind of answer. Kudos.

And I wish the ****ing Republicans would stop being pissy babies about this. Give the man the hearings he deserves. Don't want to vote for confirm him? Okay, fine. But hold the goddamn hearings.

While I don't disagree concerning either race or school, what constitutes work record and qualifications may be skewed based on our own prejudices, thus leaving those with excellent work records and legal opinions out in the cold merely due to race. Nearly everyone considered has an excellent work history and body of work that qualifies them. This being true, if you only get white men from the Ivy league, it's far to question why.

Work record will always be up to the discretion of the President picking them.
It's just that the "only Ivy Leagues" is a new (unofficial) rule implemented, regardless of race.

White, Black or otherwise, colleges are potentially subject to a narrow version of the law being taught and adopted.

If Obama had picked a minority, he would have been criticized for having picked the nominee based on race/ethnicity rather than on qualifications. Since he didn't, he's being criticized for not picking a minority.

And, since the Republican Congress has already vowed not to approve anyone he picks, to quote another famous politician, "What possible difference could it make now?"

Just my opinion.

The people with the best records tend to come from the most elite schools, overwhelmingly.

The Supreme Court requires the best of the best, that will breed some level of elitism, a meritocratic sort.

Back
Top Bottom