• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

President Bush wishes you all a generic "Happy Holidays"

KidRocks

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Ha!

After all the stink raised by many Republicans complaining that the media and the left were waging a "war on Christmas", their leader comes out with a very generic "Happy Holidays" wish via the annual White House Christmas card.

Notice how politically-correct the White House and President Bush stooped to in order to not offend some? Notice how "Christ" is conveniently left out of the White House? And they had the nerve to attack Boston.

What hypocrites!

Let us boycott the White House until they put "Christ" back in the White House Christmas card.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10355980/

Bushes' 'holiday' cards ring hollow for some

What's missing from the White House Christmas card? Christmas.

This month, as in every December since he took office, President Bush sent out cards with a generic end-of-the-year message, wishing 1.4 million of his close friends and supporters a happy "holiday season."

Many people are thrilled to get a White House Christmas card, no matter what the greeting inside. But some conservative Christians are reacting as if Bush stuck coal in their stockings.

"This clearly demonstrates that the Bush administration has suffered a loss of will and that they have capitulated to the worst elements in our culture," said William A. Donohue, president of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights.

Bush "claims to be a born-again, evangelical Christian. But he sure doesn't act like one," said Joseph Farah, editor of the conservative Web site WorldNetDaily.com. "I threw out my White House card as soon as I got it."

Religious conservatives are miffed because they have been pressuring stores to advertise Christmas sales rather than "holiday specials" and urging schools to let students out for Christmas vacation rather than for "winter break." They celebrated when House Speaker J. Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) insisted that the sparkling spectacle on the Capitol lawn should be called the Capitol Christmas Tree, not a holiday spruce.

Then along comes a generic season's greeting from the White House, paid for by the Republican National Committee. The cover art is also secular, if not humanist: It shows the presidential pets -- two dogs and a cat -- frolicking on a snowy White House lawn...

Who cares?

What is that supposed to mean anyways? So what if he wrote "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas"?

If a jewish person came into office, will we complain if he says "Happy Holidays" instead of "Happy Haunukah"?

FinnMacCool said:
Who cares?

What is that supposed to mean anyways? So what if he wrote "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas"?

If a jewish person came into office, will we complain if he says "Happy Holidays" instead of "Happy Haunukah"?

Right, but there are a great deal of people who were offended by the Boston escapade.

Millions more believe that the "left & the media" are waging a war on Christmas which has recieved a lot of coverage in the (heavens forbid) main-stream media lately, that's who cares!

I care too, because hate-radio picked up on the subject and massivly attacked the Democrats, liberals and the left in general as "God-less people". Their propaganda-machine went into an all-out attack-mode filled with lies, innuendos, misinformation and gossip.

When will people such as yourself take notice and learn that these repeated hate tactics work on the weak-minded and thus, the dumbing-down of America by the extremists, continues.

Thus, more Republicans are elected via scare tactics effectivly employed by paid-political hacks, plants in the media, and so on!

Wake up!

We need to point out their blatent hypocrisy more often and louder!

Last edited:
So you criticize him if he says Merry Christmas and you call him hypocrit if he says Happy Holidays. Interesting.:roll:

It seems the appropriate thing for the president to do, as he does not know the faith, or lack there of, of his constituents. I really don't see the problem, but KC is correct, had he said Merry Christmas, there would be hell to pay, no pun intended.:roll:

I have to admit, this whole debate about what the Christmas/Holiday card says is kinda ridiculous. Does it really matter to organizations across the country. One way or another, somebody will be offended.

KCConservative said:
So you criticize him if he says Merry Christmas and you call him hypocrit if he says Happy Holidays. Interesting.:roll:

I don't criticize for saying Merry Christmas, I criticize him for pandering to the politically-correct, I criticize him for his lack of courage, I criticize him for leaving "Christ" out of the White House Christmas card. I critcize him for speaking with a fork-tongue. I criticize him for flip-flopping around the "holidays"!

Let's boycott the White House until they put "Christ" back in the White House Christmas card!

KidRocks said:
I don't criticize for saying Merry Christmas, I criticize him for pandering to the politically-correct, I criticize him for his lack of courage, I criticize him for leaving "Christ" out of the White House Christmas card. I critcize him for speaking with a fork-tongue. I criticize him for flip-flopping around the "holidays"!

Let's boycott the White House until they put "Christ" back in the White House Christmas card!

And then you'll criticize him for using Christ's name and insulting other religions. We know partisan your hate game.

KCConservative said:
And then you'll criticize him for using Christ's name and insulting other religions. We know partisan your hate game.

Not me pal, I say "MERRY CHRISTMAS", not happy holidays.

KCConservative said:

And then you would criticize me and others for saying "happy holidays" instead of you know what.

I know where you people are coming from.

KidRocks said:

If someone says "Merry Christmas" it is taken as a default that you are talking to someone who believes in Christmas, since there is an overwhelming Christian population...If you KNEW the person didn't celebrate Christmas, but shoved it down his throat anyway, than that would be insulting..

But the White House sent 1.4 million cards this year...I think that's pretty much a guarantee that some who received the card are not celebrating Christmas, so the other choice would be to SEPARATE those who are celebrating it and those who aren't and make two different cards...

1.4 million...You wanna have fun doin' that?...

cnredd said:
If someone says "Merry Christmas" it is taken as a default that you are talking to someone who believes in Christmas, since there is an overwhelming Christian population...If you KNEW the person didn't celebrate Christmas, but shoved it down his throat anyway, than that would be insulting..

But the White House sent 1.4 million cards this year...I think that's pretty much a guarantee that some who received the card are not celebrating Christmas, so the other choice would be to SEPARATE those who are celebrating it and those who aren't and make two different cards...

1.4 million...You wanna have fun doin' that?...

Well then, we better be careful who we say Merry Christmas to. We best adopt the generic version of Christmas, you know, happy holidays, winter break, winter solstice, merry xmas, and so on.

It seems the liberals were right on and that you guys agree with President Bush.

Of course, now I get it, it's all about President Bush!

KidRocks said:
Well then, we better be careful who we say Merry Christmas to. We best adopt the generic version of Christmas, you know, happy holidays, winter break, winter solstice, merry xmas, and so on.

It seems the liberals were right on and that you guys agree with President Bush.

Of course, now I get it, it's all about President Bush!

If you don't see the difference between sending someone a card directly, and just having a sign in a store, I feel sorry for you. I mean, they have signs that say "womens lingerie" and somehow......I know that it's not specifically directed at me.:roll:

Deegan said:
If you don't see the difference between sending someone a card directly, and just having a sign in a store, I feel sorry for you. I mean, they have signs that say "womens lingerie" and somehow......I know that it's not specifically directed at me.:roll:
Are you sure?...;)

cnredd said:
Are you sure?...;)

Well......there was that one time when I was about twelve, but I've said too much already.:3oops:

KidRocks said:

Bush has not used "Christmas" in any of his Christmas cards. Clinton didn't use Christmas in his either. Why get all bent out of shape about this? Aren't there more important issues going on right now in the world? And not everyone celebrates Christmas. Happy Holidays applies to far more people than Merry Christmas.

For me, I don't mind the whole Christmas issue, but these evangelicals making a big stink look ridiculous to me. Tell them to read their Bibles and get over it.

Deegan said:

I understand but I just got a kick out of the massivly covered "War on Christmas" and how some r-wing Christians bitterly complained about how the liberals and the main-stream media were out to destroy Christmas as we know it with their "happy holidays", and then the President of the United States comes out with a generic, Godless, White House Christmas card.

Oh the hypocrisy of it all.

Yes, the groups who are all bent out of shape over this ARE indeed hypocrits.

The way Christian fundamentalism is going in this country, the christian motto should be, "Love thy Neighbor, only if he is Christian"

The bottom line is the right-wing media is crying "war on Christmas" and one would automatically think the White House would write on their cards "Merry Christmas".

Not so.

Maybe the Bushes would do it if they weren't in the White House, but they are and the White House doesn't exclusively represent the Bushes and their ideals. The card is coming from the White House as a single entity that is a symbol of our nation - one, although founded on Christian ideals, currently thriving on so many diverse ideals, IMO.

The Bushes only personify the White House being GW is President.

No hypocracy here, IMO.

There's nothing like a little ignorance to brighten up ones day.

This topic is old, boring, and lame. No one is trying to "demoralize" America by tearing down "Christian ideals." It's just plain ignorant. Worship what you want, the white house SHOULD take the stance that it did, one of the few decisions he's made that I actually support.

MDSkinsInNC said:
The bottom line is the right-wing media is crying "war on Christmas" and one would automatically think the White House would write on their cards "Merry Christmas".

Not so.

Maybe the Bushes would do it if they weren't in the White House, but they are and the White House doesn't exclusively represent the Bushes and their ideals. The card is coming from the White House as a single entity that is a symbol of our nation - one, although founded on Christian ideals, currently thriving on so many diverse ideals, IMO.

The Bushes only personify the White House being GW is President.

No hypocracy here, IMO.

The r-wing media jumped on the 'war on Christmas' bandwagon and rode it for all they could... and then came President Bush and his version of the 'war on Christmas'!

LOL...and I love it!

KCConservative:

Look - I know you're a bleeding conservative just from what I am inferring from your signature. Don't be a fool, man!

There is, in fact, a right wing media and a left wing media. It's obvious and if you can't see it, you are blind. Don't just deny it for the sake of political/personal (since I'm a Liberal).

You know as well as I do that most right-wing mass media (Fox, NY Post, ALL Conservative Blogs, etc.) pulled the "war on Christmas" propaganda.

KCConservative said:
Remember America, the left wants the United States to lose the war on terror so as to regain political power. Political power trumps national security in the leftist playbook. This spits on the brave men and women who serve in the military fighting for a stable middle east and a safer homeland. Slander before truth. Hate before logic.

Taken from your signature line, I know its off topic a little, but I just had to ask........

What exactly do you think this paragraph is if not Slander? What is it if not Hate? Nowhere have I heard one person on the "left" directly state that they want the US to fail in the "War on Terror"

I bolded directly because your going to avoid the topic as the conservatives on this forum usually do and go into what they said, and how you and your like minded friends interpret what has been said into.....The left wants the US to fail in the war on terror.

Back
Top Bottom