• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

President Biden Lets a Saudi Murderer Walk

Was Obama president when the Saudis brutally murdered a US resident?

He was a Saudi citizen, where he's domiciled is important why? And yes, Obama ordered the killing of a U.S. minor, 16 year old Samir Khan. No arrest, no trial, no jury. But he's a traitor, a terrorist you say. Well, last I checked the assassination by drone of an American with no due process is still an assassination. See how pliable governments are, even when killing a US child if a label "terrorist" is put on them? Now apply that to the Saudi's and Khashoggi. Let's chalk it up like President Biden would, the Saudi's just have different cultural norms.

Except no, Trump wouldn’t use a cruise missile. Trump used “giving the Saudis billions in military aid and arms sales”.
And refused to release the report finding him guilty. That's pretty important, too.

President Biden released the report, which was pretty damning in itself (not that it was any great news flash, imo), but at least it's out there for the whole world to see. The President also expressed his disgust, and will be giving MBS the diplomatic cold shoulder. It ain't much, but they say we need the Saudi's in our tiff with Iran. If only we could get out of the Middle East!

It took one month and six days for Joe Biden to disappoint me. I was hoping that Joe would be much more than simply another stuffed suit in the Oval Office.

This is no better than Trump. All Joe had to do was do the right thing and define the template, and he choked. No doubt about it now, the honeymoon is over.
Are you sure he's finished?

What is the 'right thing?'

It took one month and six days for Joe Biden to disappoint me. I was hoping that Joe would be much more than simply another stuffed suit in the Oval Office.

This is no better than Trump. All Joe had to do was do the right thing and define the template, and he choked. No doubt about it now, the honeymoon is over.
MBS wasn’t about to be held accountable by our government, regardless of who sits in the Oval Office.

the country is under the control of plutocrats who will side with anyone to maintain their control and income sources. you can differ your opinion of how well Trump was at being voted in to be a foil to that, but I doubt you can deny the original fact.

How was this not completely expected? It's Obama-esque.

J

I'm sure Biden will take questions about Khashoggi during his next press conference. You know those press conferences where he reads answers to questions off of a teleprompter. That's that's what our government is like now. We're done for, sadly.

holy crap wait, did he FINALLY take a personal press conference?

Trump knew this way back when it was classified and did nothing. Give Biden a day or two to figure out what is the best action to take. Things don’t happen instantly when they are as serious as this.

Don't judge him too quickly. Most deals have other deals attached to whatever deal must be made. Yeah, I purposely phrased it like that.

So repeating what I posted early in this thread, Biden is sanctioning and Biden is punishing MBS by denying him direct communications access with the President which is a big step down for anybody ascribing to be considered the leader of his country. MBS can "crown prince" till hell freezes over with Biden in the WH. Biden talks to the King. MBS HAD direct access to Trump as President.

He was a Saudi citizen, where he's domiciled is important why? And yes, Obama ordered the killing of a U.S. minor, 16 year old Samir Khan. No arrest, no trial, no jury. But he's a traitor, a terrorist you say. Well, last I checked the assassination by drone of an American with no due process is still an assassination. See how pliable governments are, even when killing a US child if a label "terrorist" is put on them? Now apply that to the Saudi's and Khashoggi. Let's chalk it up like President Biden would, the Saudi's just have different cultural norms.

Because when it comes to the US government and their responsibility to protect people, the word used is “person”, not “citizen”. It doesn’t matter if he was a citizen or legal resident, he had the same expectation of protection from the US government.

George Bush established the precedent of killing American citizen terrorists without trial when he killed Al-Awlaki in 2003.

Believe me Biden never heard of Khashoggii before yesterday. They keep him on a short leash.
Biden thought Khashoggi was a catcher for the Yankees in the 1960's

Oh come on. The administration is placing sanctions on the Saudis. Convincing the Saudi family to "remove this putz". You mean the "putz" that locked his own blood relatives, the other key members of the Royal family other than the king and about 20 other key officials in the Riyadh Ritz hotel using it as a prison charging all of them with Corruption.THAT PUTZ is the power in Saudi Arabia.

Try to make some sense why don't you.

The paltry sanctions and all of the 76 visa restrictions currently in place against the Saudi's (none on MBS) were already in place before the DNI report came out.

Ergo, Biden has not levied any punishment against MBS at all.

The Biden administration has levied stronger sanctions against the Kremlin for imprisoning Alexei Navalny than it has against the Saudis for murdering a US journalist.

Think about that.

Biden Fails to Make Saudi Prince MBS a Pariah

The paltry sanctions and all of the 76 visa restrictions currently in place against the Saudi's (none on MBS) were already in place before the DNI report came out.

Ergo, Biden has not levied any punishment against MBS at all.

The Biden administration has levied stronger sanctions against the Kremlin for imprisoning Alexei Navalny than it has against the Saudis for murdering a US journalist.

Think about that.

Biden Fails to Make Saudi Prince MBS a Pariah
Geesus, even the NY POST acknowledges that Biden has ADDED sanctions. From the NY Post:
Under the new, so-called “Khashoggi Ban,” the U.S. will impose visa restrictions on people who engage in serious counter-dissident activities on behalf of foreign governments.

The U.S. has immediately restricted the visas of 76 Saudis “believed to have been engaged in threatening dissidents overseas, including but not limited to the Khashoggi killing,” Secretary of State Anthony Blinken said in press statement Friday.

Meanwhile, the Treasury Department announced it has frozen the U.S. assets former deputy Saudi intelligence chief Ahmad Hassan Mohammed al Assiri, who is accused in a Turkish indictment of being the ringleader behind Khashoggi’s murder.

Also frozen are the American assets of members of Saudi Arabia’s elite rapid intervention force, which has been singled out by Friday’s declassified intelligence report for its role in Khashoggi’s killing.

]
Again if you expected Biden to send in a seal team to pluck MBS out of Saudi. Think again. Perhaps you are thinking DOJ can build a case against these people. I doubt it. But maybe they are trying. This is not the Trump administration DOJ announcing DOJ investigations ahead of Indictments for PR purposes. DOJ might be trying to build a case against some of them. BUT NEITHER YOU NOR I ARE GOING TO KNOW.

Give it up already. Are you applying for a position on the new Trump Campaign staff?

Attachments

• 1614516692509.gif
    1614516692509.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 0
Because when it comes to the US government and their responsibility to protect people, the word used is “person”, not “citizen”. It doesn’t matter if he was a citizen or legal resident, he had the same expectation of protection from the US government.
Not sure what reality you believe we're in, but the US government doesn't protect everyone, legal resident or citizen.

George Bush established the precedent of killing American citizen terrorists without trial when he killed Al-Awlaki in 2003.
So glad that Obama followed in those hallowed footsteps. :rolleyes:

Opinion: Say it ain’t so, Joe
(Fred Ryan)

President Biden is facing his first major test of a campaign promise and, it appears, he’s about to fail it. . . . Candidate Biden was firm and unequivocal in assuring American voters that, if elected president, he would make the regime “pay the price and make them, in fact, the pariah that they are.” He also said, “Khashoggi was, in fact, murdered and dismembered, and I believe on the order of the crown prince.” . . . This was welcome relief to Americans and freedom-loving people around the world that the pass given by the Trump team was only temporary and would not stand. Hoping that American values would once again be asserted rather than the commercial calculations of the previous administration, American voters took Biden at his word that he would reestablish the United States as a champion of human rights and not allow exceptions based on personal relationships or strategic needs of the moment.
. . .
It’s not only American voters who are closely watching to see if Biden fulfills his promise. Friends and foes around the world are carefully monitoring his actions, judging the strength of his convictions and calculating the circumstances where expedience may cause him to waiver and abandon our values. . . . When it comes down to it, U.S. strength in the world relies on the power of our principles as much as the might of our military. Too often, when we fail to consistently apply the former, we eventually find we must resort to the use of the latter. At this crucial moment, Biden and his team have the opportunity to send a strong message to our allies and to our enemies that they will stand up for American values.

Referring to the debate, trx here. In part,
[]
MITCHELL: Mr. Vice President, the CIA has concluded that the leader of Saudi Arabia directed the murder of U.S.-based journalist Jamal Khashoggi. The State Department also says the Saudi government is responsible for executing nonviolent offenders and for torture. President Trump has not punished senior Saudi leaders. Would you?

BIDEN: Yes, and I said it at the time. Khashoggi was, in fact, murdered and dismembered, and I believe on the order of the crown prince. And I would make it very clear we were not going to, in fact, sell more weapons to them, we were going to, in fact, make them pay the price and make them, in fact, the pariah that they are. There's very little social redeeming value of the -- in the present government in Saudi Arabia. And I would also, as pointed out, I would end -- end subsidies that we have, end the sale of material to the Saudis where they're going in and murdering children, and they're murdering innocent people. And so they have to be held accountable.

And with regard to China, we should -- look, unless we make it clear that we stand for human rights, we should be going to the United Nations seeking condemnation of China, what they're doing with the million Uighurs that are there, essentially in concentration camps in the west. We should be vocally, vocally speaking out about the violation of the commitment they made to Hong Kong. We have to speak out and speak loudly about violations of human rights.

[]

Back
Top Bottom