• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

President Biden 10 reasons to support Single Payer =it is good use of tax dollars and Obama Care leaves millions under insured or uninsured = not good

Yes, and that's a good thing. More money for me and less for companies selling me prescription drugs? Yes, please.
LOL!!

Good for you...unless you need drugs.

LOL!!

Good for you...unless you need drugs.

It's as if you aren't aware of the numerous first-world countries that successfully use a system like the one we want to implement.

If you weren't experiencing unreasonable fear, what would you be doing?

Single payer was the goal all along, so let's get there already.

Conservatives will kick and scream and drag their feet for a decade like they always do, and then once they're used to it, they will begin to think that they thought it up themselves.

The problem with switching to single payer is all of the health insurance company employees will lose their jobs at the same time when their employers go out of business and at the same time everyone who does not already have public health insurance will become uninsured very quickly. Amy Klobuchar pointed this out during a primary debate and was proven right by fact checkers. It must be done gradually to soften the impact on both the companies and their clients while everyone who only has private health insurance gets incentives to apply for public plans. I wish all health insurance companies could go out of business, but cannot approve a bill that crashes the stock market by kicking everyone off health coverage at the same time.

Why single payer is bad:

Massive waiting lists and dangerous delays for medical appointments

Life-threatening delays for treatment, even for patients requiring urgent cancer treatment or critical brain surgery

Delayed availability of life-saving drugs

Worse availability of screening tests

Significantly worse outcomes from serious diseases

And, I heard it makes you sterile if you’re a woman and unable to...you know...if you’re a man.

That only works for you because those drug companies can raise prices in the US. If the US negotiates reduced prices, those drug companies will go out of business.
Not out of business. The drug companies charge the US more for drugs because they can’t get the price they want from most other countries. Their argument is: we can’t hit our numbers and give you smoking’ deals on our dope without raising prices on all those poor countries who desperately need our help. Think of the children!

Then W said: “sounds good to me boys!” because he was such an amazing human rights champion.

They'll of course be free to get out of the drug business, if they determine that that's what is best for them.

Do you even have a clue to what you're suggesting? IF business can say to hell with it, so can doctors, nurses, and all future medically minded students. Can't make a living with medicine, try something else.

Do you even have a clue to what you're suggesting? IF business can say to hell with it, so can doctors, nurses, and all future medically minded students. Can't make a living with medicine, try something else.

I thank God every day that I am not haunted by the unreasonable, irrational fears of most of the Trump supporters I hear from.

So yes, I have a clue what I am suggesting. But what I will never understand is what your mind turns it into.

And I am okay with that if you are.

Listen, I want a one stop shop. I want a place to go where I can wait in line for 47 hours in screaming pain before a third-world doctor who doesn't speak English can set my broken leg, pray over me in Arabic, and give me half a Tylenol for the pain, where all the magazines are liberal--National Geographic, Reader's Digest, Time, Woman's Day, Cosmopolitan . . . what? no Southern Living?--so that my indoctrination can continue unabated, and where one of Bill Gates' robots can chip me, preferably anally, and once I'm good to go and they push me towards the exit, I'll just turn right back around and get in line due to the Covid, tuberculosis, flu, and meningitis that I contracted while waiting in line the first time around.

Sound about right? I'm trying to picture the hellscape of single payer in our future Communist state formerly known as the United States of America through a Trump supporter's eyes.

I thank God every day that I am not haunted by the unreasonable, irrational fears of most of the Trump supporters I hear from.

So yes, I have a clue what I am suggesting. But what I will never understand is what your mind turns it into.

And I am okay with that if you are.

It will be a cold day in hell when I agree with any very liberal viewpoint.

Listen, I want a one stop shop. I want a place to go where I can wait in line for 47 hours in screaming pain before a third-world doctor who doesn't speak English can set my broken leg, pray over me in Arabic, and give me half a Tylenol for the pain, where all the magazines are liberal--National Geographic, Reader's Digest, Time, Woman's Day, Cosmopolitan . . . what? no Southern Living?--so that my indoctrination can continue unabated, and where one of Bill Gates' robots can chip me, preferably anally, and once I'm good to go and they push me towards the exit, I'll just turn right back around and get in line due to the Covid, tuberculosis, flu, and meningitis that I contracted while waiting in line the first time around.

Sound about right? I'm trying to picture the hellscape of single payer in our future Communist state formerly known as the United States of America through a Trump supporter's eyes.
Lol, the funniest post I've seen on this forum.

It will be a cold day in hell when I agree with any very liberal viewpoint.

Liberals are against rape.

What's your viewpoint?

Sure, you are against rape, and then you turn around and demand low or no bail so the mutt can get out and do it again.

You are chasing butterflies.

Liberals are against rape.

Why is it difficult for you to say that you, like a liberal, are also against rape?

Too often, Trump supporters speak purely from anger and/or fear, and the result too often is exaggeration, falsehood, tangent, or non sequitur.

That's how you put yourself in the position of either agreeing with a liberal viewpoint, something you just said it would be a "cold day in hell" before you would ever do it, or condoning rape.

10. Under single-payer, say goodbye to medical bankruptcies in the United States.

According to Physicians for a National Health Program and U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), more than 62 percent of the more than 2.2 million personal bankruptcies in the United States are due to medical expenses.

This problem does not just touch those with health insurance. Many of those who need to file for bankruptcy due to medical costs had health insurance coverage. Single-payer health care would provide health care for all and ensure that no one goes bankrupt due to illness.

This video explains the problem and the solution very well.

9. If it’s good enough for the royal baby, George Alexander Louis, it’s good enough for the United States.

Here’s my previous blog on this topic.

8. Single-payer would cover everyone.

I believe health care is a right – not a privilege reserved for the wealthy. Regardless of how much you have in your wallet, you would have access to doctors and hospitals under a single-payer system. In the wealthiest nation in the history of humanity, it is the least we can do.

7. If members of Congress tried to shut down the government to defund single-payer, they would be defunding health care coverage for themselves and their families.

Unless members of Congress and their families participate directly in a particular health care system, they can hold it hostage for political gain. Case in point: 60 members of Congress recently sent a letter to their leadership requesting that House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) shut down the government if the administration doesn’t “defund” Obamacare. If those representatives and their families received their health care through a single-payer system, they would be less inclined to defund it.

6. It works well in other countries.

Dozens of other industrialized countries can’t all be wrong. Their people live longer, their child mortality rate is lower and they have unrestricted access to maternity care. This is an example of where we could learn something from studying how other countries provide health care.

5. Transitioning to a single-payer system would save billions of dollars.

If the United States was able to move away from its private health insurance system, we could save more than $400 billion a year in administrative costs. Further savings could be obtained by adopting European-style drug pricing and provider payments.

4. Single-payer is simple to administer

H.R. 676, model single-payer legislation, is 30 pages long. It does not need to be thousands of pages long accompanied by a mountain of regulations. A few key principles: Universal coverage, publicly funded and publicly administered, is easy to implement.

3. Single-payer will increase business competitiveness.

If you remove the more than $1 trillion dollars that private employers pay for health care every year, it would greatly improve the playing field for American business. It is often stated that GM must add $1,500 to $2,000 to the sticker price of a car due to health care costs that car companies in other countries do not have to bear (i.e. Germany and Japan). Having the government be responsible for health care would improve business efficiency, productivity and employment.

2. You wouldn’t lose your health care if you lose your job.

Every American would have health care no matter what their employment status. Now when people lose their jobs, they also find themselves without health insurance. That’s the last thing someone needs who is trying to figure out how to meet the basic necessities of life.

1. Say goodbye to private insurance company abuse.

Private insurance companies have generally made their money by only insuring the healthy and denying claims for the sick. Moving toward single-payer would eliminate the perverse incentives inherent in the private insurance system and turn the focus back to helping heal the sick instead of maximizing profit.

10. Under single-payer, say goodbye to medical bankruptcies in the United States.

According to Physicians for a National Health Program and U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), more than 62 percent of the more than 2.2 million personal bankruptcies in the United States are due to medical expenses.

This problem does not just touch those with health insurance. Many of those who need to file for bankruptcy due to medical costs had health insurance coverage. Single-payer health care would provide health care for all and ensure that no one goes bankrupt due to illness.

9. If it’s good enough for the royal baby, George Alexander Louis, it’s good enough for the United States.

I believe health care is a right – not a privilege reserved for the wealthy. Regardless of how much you have in your wallet, you would have access to doctors and hospitals under a single-payer system. In the wealthiest nation in the history of humanity, it is the least we can do.

7. If members of Congress tried to shut down the government to defund single-payer, they would be defunding health care coverage for themselves and their families.

Unless members of Congress and their families participate directly in a particular health care system, they can hold it hostage for political gain. Case in point: 60 members of Congress recently sent a letter to their leadership requesting that House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) shut down the government if the administration doesn’t “defund” Obamacare. If those representatives and their families received their health care through a single-payer system, they would be less inclined to defund it.

Dozens of other industrialized countries can’t all be wrong. Their people live longer, their child mortality rate is lower and they have unrestricted access to maternity care. This is an example of where we could learn something from studying how other countries provide health care.

If the United States was able to move away from its private health insurance system, we could save more than $400 billion a year in administrative costs. Further savings could be obtained by adopting European-style drug pricing and provider payments.

H.R. 676, model single-payer legislation, is 30 pages long. It does not need to be thousands of pages long accompanied by a mountain of regulations. A few key principles: Universal coverage, publicly funded and publicly administered, is easy to implement.

If you remove the more than $1 trillion dollars that private employers pay for health care every year, it would greatly improve the playing field for American business. It is often stated that GM must add $1,500 to $2,000 to the sticker price of a car due to health care costs that car companies in other countries do not have to bear (i.e. Germany and Japan). Having the government be responsible for health care would improve business efficiency, productivity and employment.

Every American would have health care no matter what their employment status. Now when people lose their jobs, they also find themselves without health insurance. That’s the last thing someone needs who is trying to figure out how to meet the basic necessities of life.

Private insurance companies have generally made their money by only insuring the healthy and denying claims for the sick. Moving toward single-payer would eliminate the perverse incentives inherent in the private insurance system and turn the focus back to helping heal the sick instead of maximizing profit.

bump

After the passage of health care reform, ALEC’s top priority has been to challenge the law by encouraging members to introduce bills that would prohibit the law’s insurance mandate.

ALEC’s Health and Human Services task force is led by representatives of PhRMA and Johnson & Johnson, and representatives of Bayer and GlaxoSmithKlein sit on ALEC’s board.

The group’s model bill, the “Freedom of Choice in Health Care Act,” has been introduced in forty-four states, and ALEC even released a “State Legislators Guide to Repealing ObamaCare” discussing a variety of model legislation including bills to partially privatize Medicaid and SCHIP.

The legislative guide utilizes ideas and information from pro-corporate groups like the Heritage Foundation, the Goldwater Institute, the James Madison Institute, the Cato Institute, the National Center for Policy Analysis and the National Federation of Independent Business.22

ALEC: The Voice of Corporate Special Interests in State Legislatures | Right Wing Watch
When state legislators across the nation introduce similar or identical bills designed to boost corporate power and profits, reduce workers rights, limit corporate accountability for pollution, or restrict voting, odds are good that the legislation …
www.rightwingwatch.org
www.rightwingwatch.org

Why single payer is bad:

Massive waiting lists and dangerous delays for medical appointments

Life-threatening delays for treatment, even for patients requiring urgent cancer treatment or critical brain surgery

Delayed availability of life-saving drugs

Worse availability of screening tests

Significantly worse outcomes from serious diseases

specai

These points are about other countries not about the USA so until the USA has the opportunity to make USA Single Payer work in America the above points are moot.

It was speculated many many years ago that a state by state system could not be effective therefore let's do it nationwide.

I say put this issue on the ballot and let we the taxpayers decide. Capitol Hill has too many
special interests working against the people including too many elected officials.

Elected officials accepting campaign money from the health care industry is corrupt and not fiscally responsible use of health care dollars.

Elected Officials invested in health care is definitely unacceptable.

Put this matter to the many many many voters who cannot afford medical insurance no matter how many ways elected officials shove the medical insurance industry down our throats.

All the points that CNN brought up have been around for 20 years and we still have to wait sometimes from days to weeks for an appointment. How many times has anyone walked into a clinic and demanded surgery and got it?

Those points if my memory serves well were put forth by the insurance industry ..... the industry that bills its'clients trillions of dollars annually and some never use the insurance or run to a clinic.

Last edited:
specai

These points are about other countries not about the USA so until the USA has the opportunity to make USA Single Payer work in America the above points are moot.

It was speculated many many years ago that a state by state system could not be effective therefore let's do it nationwide.

I say put this issue on the ballot and let we the taxpayers decide. Capitol Hill has too many
special interests working against the people including too many elected officials.

Elected officials accepting campaign money from the health care industry is corrupt and not fiscally responsible use of health care dollars.

Elected Officials invested in health care is definitely unacceptable.

You my friend are living in La La land. Just like the Covid 1.9 stimulus bill is favored because it means free money, and any boondoggle bill regarding free health care is also gonna be supported by the masses regardless of the downside. Free stuff always wins!

Back
Top Bottom