• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Prepare to cry, like a lot.[W:58]

Re: Prepare to cry, like a lot.

Nice one.

I fully agree with you, just surprised - if abortion was common for dogs, wouldn't you have supported ending this life before given a chance?

Just think, if it was aborted it wouldn't have had to go through any suffering.

I haven't cried that much since the last time I had sex.

If you have all the time and money in the world, you can 'save" just about anything. The question is, as always, should you?

They said they did four 15 minute sessions a day. One hour is not "all the time in the world". If someone does heve the time, resources and inclination to help a puppy like this one, then the answer to your question is yes, absolutely, they should.

They said they did four 15 minute sessions a day. One hour is not "all the time in the world". If someone does heve the time, resources and inclination to help a puppy like this one, then the answer to your question is yes, absolutely, they should.
If one can, then one should. Too many place too little value on life. It's not the puppy that gained the most from this effort.

For some people, it's just too easy to see the bad side of things. Like Eeyore, they have a little black raincloud following them everywhere.

Eeyore was always my favorite Winnie the Pooh character.

I don't think ToL is completely out of bounds to ask the question. When I worked an animal shelter there was puppy born with serious birth defects. She had a hole in her skull and other problems. Her litter mates were fine, but this little one had been stuck in the birth canal of a dog that had been found abandoned in the desert wrapped in wire (don't you just hate people sometime?). I felt so sorry for her (the puppy) because the other puppies were hurting her so I took her home. She had the cutest face. Looked like a tiny buffalo. I had no idea what I was going to do with her. I live alone and work full time. Fortunately my parents stepped up and took her in, named her Maggie.

My mom, having just lost one of her dogs, devoted herself to caring for Maggie. She took her to the vet and they found that Maggie's biggest problem was not the hole in her head, but her spine was bent at a literal 90 degree angle. Vet said there was no way to fix it. Maggie, though, handicapped would try to play and was a sweet little dog, but as she grew, her problems got worse. Finally, after about a year, there was no other choice to make. Maggie was in too much pain and had to be put down. In retrospect, I wonder now if we just prolonged her pain and should have had her euthanized right away.

Anyway, sorry to be such a downer. The puppy in the OP is adorable and a completely different story in that, while he may never walk exactly right, he can still have a happy life. It would not surprise me if he becomes a therapy dog for children with disabilities.

John, how many times have I gone over the whole bodily sovereignty concept with you? Do you still not get it?

Why am I not surprised you'd turn a puppy thread into yet another abortion sinkhole? If you are really having a hard time with this bodily sovereignty thing, please start a thread in the appropriate bog pit.

WHY CAN NO ONE JUST ENJOY THE PUPPIES!?

I fully understand your bodily sovereignty position - I just find it somewhat ironic that a person who so adamantly supports aborting a growing child if that child has even the slightest abnormality or if the mother is so inclined, can then feign any kind of outrage or disbelief that another person may think that spending time and money treating and giving therapy to a puppy with physical abnormalities is a waste of both the time and money. It's remarkable you don't see that, but then that's your right just as it's my right to point out the inconsistencies I see.

I guess the best way for you to always be right and to never be challenged in your views would be to either start your own website or to stop posting here.

Just think, if it was aborted it wouldn't have had to go through any suffering.

Some people don't consider the struggle to survive as suffering in the same light as others. I view all attempts at survival to be uplifting. Now real suffering, like being abused or mistreated because you are less fortunate or less able to defend and support yourself, that's what I would like to see eliminated everywhere.

I have to admit that I don't want this turned into an abortion discussion either.

As I said, it's a option. I wouldn't make a policy of it however.

If one can, then one should. Too many place too little value on life. It's not the puppy that gained the most from this effort.
Actually, it is.

Actually, it is.
Not by a long shot. The rewards from an act of goodness are often greater than the act itself, but they rarely come in the anticipated or expected way. An affirmation of the value of life is not limited to the life saved in this instance, and many others as well.

Not by a long shot. The rewards from an act of goodness are often greater than the act itself, but they rarely come in the anticipated or expected way. An affirmation of the value of life is not limited to the life saved in this instance, and many others as well.
Your warm and fuzzy view of life has been noted. All requests for donations from now on will include pictures of sad puppies in them.

Your warm and fuzzy view of life has been noted. All requests for donations from now on will include pictures of sad puppies in them.
I do have that view. It's the only life I have, and since I have a choice, I prefer that view rather than yours. Since it's in the news here today, maybe you can try photos of Putin without a shirt for your donation requests. They're not warm, or fuzzy. Good luck.

I do have that view. It's the only life I have, and since I have a choice, I prefer that view rather than yours. Since it's in the news here today, maybe you can try photos of Putin without a shirt for your donation requests. They're not warm, or fuzzy. Good luck.
Warm and fuzzy works better, that is easy to see.

Warm and fuzzy works better, that is easy to see.
It does. Wonder why? I would also note that I kill animals, too. I hunt and fish. I've never shot a deer without a tremendous feeling of respect and admiration for the animal and a sense of thankfulness that such an animal is here. They're tasty, too.

i admit, that choked me up. great thread.

I feel bad for the little guy. It's a cute, compassionate, lovable little thing.

I'd have less sympathy if it was a cat.

Wow. You are pretty cynical. If it isn't costing you any money, or any time, why does it bother you so much?

It's not about being bothered, it's not my money or time or effort being spent, it's logic. One dog that can never live a normal life is being saved while thousands are being euthanized in shelters across the country. Where is the time, money and effort best spent? You are only being emotional, we're trying to be logical. Sometimes, it's best to just let go.

As I said, it's a option. I wouldn't make a policy of it however.

Practically speaking, we probably couldn't make a policy of this. I wish we could. I wish we just had all the homes and people willing to work with a puppy like that that we need. What I disagree with is any implication that an animal isn't worth the effort. They are.

I fully understand your bodily sovereignty position - I just find it somewhat ironic that a person who so adamantly supports aborting a growing child if that child has even the slightest abnormality or if the mother is so inclined, can then feign any kind of outrage or disbelief that another person may think that spending time and money treating and giving therapy to a puppy with physical abnormalities is a waste of both the time and money. It's remarkable you don't see that, but then that's your right just as it's my right to point out the inconsistencies I see.

I guess the best way for you to always be right and to never be challenged in your views would be to either start your own website or to stop posting here.

Then no, you don't understand it at all. You don't even understand the concept of a body, period. You're so far away from the land of understanding that concept that I'm not even sure what to do with you.

And you're such a drag that you come into a puppy forum to whine about it.

I give up on you people, I swear. I hope no one ever bothers to post something cute and uplifting on DP for you guys ever again.

It's not about being bothered, it's not my money or time or effort being spent, it's logic. One dog that can never live a normal life is being saved while thousands are being euthanized in shelters across the country. Where is the time, money and effort best spent? You are only being emotional, we're trying to be logical. Sometimes, it's best to just let go.

What's a "normal" life for a dog? Dogs live a ton of different ways. This pup obviously has a lot of people caring for him which is more than many perfectly fine dogs have (which is incredibly sad). I know you're going to want to be all cold hearted in this thread and say any dog that needs any medical care should just be shot or something but the bottom line is if you don't give a **** about this pup, who cares? If it's not your time or money it's not your call.

What's a "normal" life for a dog? Dogs live a ton of different ways. This pup obviously has a lot of people caring for him which is more than many perfectly fine dogs have (which is incredibly sad). I know you're going to want to be all cold hearted in this thread and say any dog that needs any medical care should just be shot or something but the bottom line is if you don't give a **** about this pup, who cares? If it's not your time or money it's not your call.

You gonna make a "Why Do Atheists Hate Puppies?" thread now?

Do we have a "puppy forum"? :mrgreen:

Look I get that those who go weepy over animals with cute faces and accept them as family members will go soft over things like this. But for those of us who look to other humans for company and think it's a shame we feed our dogs while our human neighbors go starving, rescuing puppies is not helping matters much. To head off the inevitible, NO, I don't condone cruelty to animals. But neither am I pro-pet. Keeping dogs, for the sake of having a pet, especially without having the room to roam, is already a form of cruelty in my book.

Back
Top Bottom