• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Premier Ford has screwed the pooch on his response to C19

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Drs in Ontario have been calling for a hard close down much earlier than 07 April
Date Ford announced it
Province was leading PQ with rise in cases and increasing stats for newer more contagious variants
Now will we see hospitals overrun with case loads, and that will bring on triage related deaths

How is the vaccine rollout going there now? If it's getting going pretty well, would that maybe offset some of your concerns? Have at least the older, more vulnerable, group gotten their vaccines by now? I know Canada was having trouble getting vaccine supply but I haven't googled for some time now and maybe that vaccine shortage has all been resolved by now.

Drs in Ontario have been calling for a hard close down much earlier than 07 April
Date Ford announced it
Province was leading PQ with rise in cases and increasing stats for newer more contagious variants
Now will we see hospitals overrun with case loads, and that will bring on triage related deaths

It seems like Ontario's anti-coronavirus measures have been wildly inconsistent. Is that a fair assessment?

It seems like Ontario's anti-coronavirus measures have been wildly inconsistent. Is that a fair assessment?
Yes they have- modeling back in IIRC early Feb predicted the surge coming.
Ford waffled on a close down- In the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) and I think Peel region- had a lock down where one could travel a short distance to shop- literally one side of a busy street closed, the other side open - makes no sense

He is a puffy man, full of himself, blaming the Feds for not enough vaccine

How is the vaccine rollout going there now? If it's getting going pretty well, would that maybe offset some of your concerns? Have at least the older, more vulnerable, group gotten their vaccines by now? I know Canada was having trouble getting vaccine supply but I haven't googled for some time now and maybe that vaccine shortage has all been resolved by now.
Provinces list who and when, age and all. Elderly and so on

With the situation in Ontario, the Prov is redirecting 25 % to hot spots - hopefully essiental workers. The ones that work in factories to small bus.
They are the major carriers and need to be moved up the wait line.

Ford like the wingnut in AB, Jason Kenney, they are Canadian Conservatives, and both have screwed the pooch repeatedly

Initially, Ford handled the Covid situation quite well. I dislike the man intensely but gave him credit where credit was due. However, he sure has screwed it up since February. The experts warned him in February that there was the likelihood of a third surge, especially in the GTA, but he waffled on tightening restrictions and when he finally did so in early April they weren't nearly tight enough. Now Ontario, particularly the GTA, is in one hell of a mess. Last night he announced further lockdown restrictions that are quite severe. If he had acted earlier and followed the advice of the scientists we would not be in this mess. I think he is going to pay big time for this.

Luckily we have a home in the Haliburton Highlands, our permanent residence, and a townhouse near Toronto. So here we are at the lake until whenever. The situation is pretty good here, I'm not at all worried. Sure don't have to worry about social distancing, the lake is empty! Hopefully, people will be able to come back to their cottages by May weekend.

Trudeau warns of a serious surge imminent

(CNN) Canada is scrambling to deal with a punishing third wave of the pandemic as several provinces have broken records for new daily cases of Covid-19 and hospital and ICU admissions.

"Canada continues to face an incredibly serious situation with this third wave, cases are rising rapidly in many cases, in many places, numbers are higher than they have ever been before and many hospitals are stretched way too thin," said Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said during a press conference Friday in Ottawa.

He said the situation was particularly grave in Ontario, with Toronto now seeing records shattered and hospital beds filling up.
Ontario broke more pandemic records Friday for daily cases, hospitalizations and intensive care admissions.

"There is every reason to believe that we're now in the final although toughest stretch of this pandemic, this is not the moment to let up, not even for a second," said Trudeau adding "This is the moment for us to dig deep at what is hopefully the very late stages of this pandemic for us all."

Initially, Ford handled the Covid situation quite well. I dislike the man intensely but gave him credit where credit was due. However, he sure has screwed it up since February. The experts warned him in February that there was the likelihood of a third surge, especially in the GTA, but he waffled on tightening restrictions and when he finally did so in early April they weren't nearly tight enough. Now Ontario, particularly the GTA, is in one hell of a mess. Last night he announced further lockdown restrictions that are quite severe. If he had acted earlier and followed the advice of the scientists we would not be in this mess. I think he is going to pay big time for this.

Luckily we have a home in the Haliburton Highlands, our permanent residence, and a townhouse near Toronto. So here we are at the lake until whenever. The situation is pretty good here, I'm not at all worried. Sure don't have to worry about social distancing, the lake is empty! Hopefully, people will be able to come back to their cottages by May weekend.
We are in the land of Premier Stay the blazes home - Halifax area
We locked down fairly quick in Mar.
Case counts are low
In Ont the new variants, B117 and others are placed firmly in the population
Ford has failed & many will die due to his inaction
The science was clear as day.
He made excuses.

The science was clear as day.
He made excuses.
He caved to the pressure to open businesses and ignored the science. He did a great job in the early days, even this die-hard liberal was willing to give him credit but all that good faith is now long gone.

He screwed it up way back around the end of August when he threw just about everything open again and cases predictably skyrocketed as a result, then delayed on resuming lockdowns until our ICU capacity was at a critical state.

I can only hope that this means his govt will be defeated with a majority of Ontarians correctly asserting he was an abject failure at managing the pandemic.

Back
Top Bottom