• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Premarket stocks: Russia is breaking market rules left and right

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Premarket stocks: Russia is breaking market rules left and right

iu

Russia is breaking market rules left and right as its financial isolation deepens. Russia's stock market reopened on Thursday after it was shuttered for a month. Under normal circumstances, there wouldn't be much demand for shares in Russian companies considering they do most of their business in an economy that some expect to contract by more than 20% this year. But, surprise! The benchmark MOEX index surged by as much as 10% in early trading. The index was up roughly 5% in afternoon trade in Moscow. Here's why: Russia's stock market isn't operating under normal rules. The central bank has blocked foreign investors from selling their shares and banned short selling. Only 33 stocks were allowed to trade on Thursday.

Context: Foreign funds held more than 80% of shares trading on the Moscow Exchange in the first half of 2021, according to Reuters. The United States and Canada accounted for 54% of the total, with 22% from the United Kingdom and 21% from the rest of Europe. The Biden administration wasn't very impressed with the "reopening." "Russia has made clear they are going to pour government resources into artificially propping up the shares of companies that are trading," deputy national security adviser Daleep Singh said in a rare White House statement on another country's financial markets.

Window dressing choreographed by the Kremlin. The Russian economy is badly broken.

Only 33 stocks were allowed to trade.? The stocks traded on the NASDAQ and NYSE is something like 5,300. True... I think? only 30 are the big factors.
Somebody correct me if needed.

Only 33 stocks were allowed to trade.? The stocks traded on the NASDAQ and NYSE is something like 5,300. True... I think? only 30 are the big factors.Somebody correct me if needed.

This was stage-managed by Russia's Central Bank.

No one involved could lose money.

This was stage-managed by Russia's Central Bank.

No one involved could lose money.
This is why sanctions, like tariffs, usually don’t have the effect everyone hopes for.

If countries really wanted to “go there” they could offer to compensate funds with confiscated Russian foreign reserves, in exchange for funds writing off Russian investments as junk holdings and dropping them from their books.

This is why sanctions, like tariffs, usually don’t have the effect everyone hopes for.

If countries really wanted to “go there” they could offer to compensate funds with confiscated Russian foreign reserves, in exchange for funds writing off Russian investments as junk holdings and dropping them from their books.

How do you know they won't disburse frozen Russian funds accordingly?

Looks like an entirely staged event, behind the scenes I would bet all kinds of ownership swap / seize shenanigans.

Looks like an entirely staged event, behind the scenes I would bet all kinds of ownership swap / seize shenanigans.

Only certain companies could participate (oligarch crony's of Putin) and the Russia Central Bank/MOEX made sure that it would be a success for propaganda purposes.

Back
Top Bottom