• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Preliminary report about Texas blackouts

Vern

back from Vegas
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
I wish I'd seen this sooner. It seems that the problems started with the gas supply

Failures within the natural gas system began prior to electrical outages. Days before ERCOT called for blackouts, natural gas was already being curtailed to some natural gas consumers, including power plants.

Here's the key outage data

From noon on February 14 to noon on February 15, the amount of offline wind capacity increased from 14,600 MW to 18,300 MW (+3,700 MW).2 Offline natural gas capacity increased from 12,000 MW to 25,000 MW (+13,000 MW). Offline coal capacity increased from 1,500 MW to 4,500 MW (+3,000 MW). Offline nuclear capacity increased from 0 MW to 1,300 MW, and offline solar capacity increased from 500 MW to 1100 MW (+600 MW), for a total loss of 24,600 MW in a single 24-hour period.

It was known in real-time. You just had to look. Not well reported. Half of TX elec is generated from NG. "The pipes froze". Ain't no damn reg-u-lation gonna make me weather wrap NG pipes. Residential or commercial.

I keep acknowledging that - even pointing it out. 1/6 of the system accounted for 1/3 of the loss.

not to quibble but 15% is less than 33%. And that's just for the first 24 hours. Wind seemed to recover faster than the gas plants. But at least you acknowledged that the Texas gov and conservative media were lying about wind being the cause. You did admit that right?

I'd say the failures started a decade before that. ;)

Ten yrs earlier a blizzard resulted in recommendations to winterize the grid system, including the NG pipes, which was turned down by the "no reg" minded Texas decision-makers. Don't need no stinking regs.

It was known in real-time. You just had to look. Not well reported. Half of TX elec is generated from NG. "The pipes froze". Ain't no damn reg-u-lation gonna make me weather wrap NG pipes. Residential or commercial.

I'm pretty sure there are places where it gets much colder than what was experienced in Texas that uses natural gas.
Scotland for instance.
Regulation can indeed be put in place to force utilities to make sure the system still works in all weathers.

I'm pretty sure there are places where it gets much colder than what was experienced in Texas that uses natural gas.
Scotland for instance.
Regulation can indeed be put in place to force utilities to make sure the system still works in all weathers.
It worked for El Paso and East Texas, too. Everyplace not tied to ERCOT.

not to quibble but 15% is less than 33%. And that's just for the first 24 hours. Wind seemed to recover faster than the gas plants. But at least you acknowledged that the Texas gov and conservative media were lying about wind being the cause. You did admit that right?
You missed there, sorry. Re-read the post if you like.

Can't believe you replied on something from five months ago, then attempted to gaslight. Not to mention throwing in a strawman.

You missed there, sorry. Re-read the post if you like.

Can't believe you replied on something from five months ago, then attempted to gaslight. Not to mention throwing in a strawman.
Yes, I brought up your post from 5 months ago. With the new information out I figured you'd like to know you were wrong. I figured wrong. anyhoo, if you don't mind can you explain the "gaslighting" and "strawman" part. I realize you think "wah wah gaslighting" and "wah wah strawman" is a devastating rebuttal but it doesn't make any sense to me. please explain. Oh and since I'm sure you didn't read the report I'll post this for you

1626710910794.png

Yes, I brought up your post from 5 months ago. With the new information out I figured you'd like to know you were wrong. I figured wrong. anyhoo, if you don't mind can you explain the "gaslighting" and "strawman" part. I realize you think "wah wah gaslighting" and "wah wah strawman" is a devastating rebuttal but it doesn't make any sense to me. please explain. Oh and since I'm sure you didn't read the report I'll post this for you

View attachment 67343757
You were gaslighting, and beating a strawman. Not a great way to get a point across, as these have no place in a reasoned discussion.

What I posted was accurate based on the information at the time. I'm not really interested in rehashing.

What I posted was accurate based on the information at the time. I'm not really interested in rehashing.
I think you misspoke. What you meant to say is "I'm not really interested in rehashing. being shown I was wrong.

I think you misspoke. What you meant to say is "I'm not really interested in rehashing. being shown I was wrong

Swing and a miss there. Sorry.

You were gaslighting, and beating a strawman. Not a great way to get a point across, as these have no place in a reasoned discussion.

I asked you to explain what you consider gaslighting and strawman. You simply repeated your "narrative". No shock there. And not for nothing, based on your 5 month old posts you didnt seem to understand the definition of "strawman". Conservatives were telling you that the deadly outages were a result of wind power failing. You kept claiming nobody said that. And you claimed that after you were shown the direct quotes.

And DC, your claims weren't even "accurate" at the time. Now its documented as not accurate.

I asked you to explain what you consider gaslighting and strawman. You simply repeated your "narrative". No shock there. And not for nothing, based on your 5 month old posts you didnt seem to understand the definition of "strawman". Conservatives were telling you that the deadly outages were a result of wind power failing. You kept claiming nobody said that. And you claimed that after you were shown the direct quotes.

And DC, your claims weren't even "accurate" at the time. Now its documented as not accurate.
Nope. And I provided documentation at the time.

Gaslighting -- "But at least you acknowledged that the Texas gov and conservative media were lying about wind being the cause. You did admit that right?"

I've refuted others' claims and proved my own with evidence of fact by links to citation that support what I posted and refute what others posted, word for word. Rarely do others admit being wrong. Especially when they're wrong. What I like about admitting when I'm wrong or corrected is it makes for a short post and is undebatable by the opponent. There's nowhere for a pushback or retort to go. I doubt you'll get acknowledgement of the facts of this matter with the poster in question.

I've refuted others' claims and proved my own with evidence of fact by links to citation that support what I posted and refute what others posted, word for word. Rarely do others admit being wrong. Especially when they're wrong. What I like about admitting when I'm wrong or corrected is it makes for a short post and is undebatable by the opponent. There's nowhere for a pushback or retort to go. I doubt you'll get acknowledgement of the facts of this matter with the poster in question.
I've even admitted to Conservative (yes Conservative, the most delusional dishonest of all conservatives) that I was wrong. But then I'm not in a cult so it was rather easy.

Traditional power plants didnt fail due to freezing of the plant, but rather the transportation of the fuel.
The traditional power sources arent failing due to inadequate design, but rather transportation of fuel. .

so Jonny, traditional power plants did fail due to freezing. it was the biggest cause. "fuel supply" was the second biggest cause but a distant second. I say second because although it looks close to "equipment issues" I'm quite confident some generators misreported "freezing issues" due to financial concerns. Regardless freezing was the biggest issue by far. Contrary to your repeated point.

1627504158421.png

Nope. And I provided documentation at the time.

Gaslighting -- "But at least you acknowledged that the Texas gov and conservative media were lying about wind being the cause. You did admit that right?"
ooo DC, a good example of gaslighting would be you posting "I provided documentation". You posted a wikipedia link. And you didnt even quote the link. You just kept telling us what you think you read. And your deluded version of what you think you read in wikipedia was shredded by this

Dan Woodfin, a senior director for the ERCOT, told Bloomberg that wind turbine shutdowns accounted for less than 13 percent of total outages.

You have to ask yourself why your obedient agenda is more important than your integrity.

ooo DC, a good example of gaslighting would be you posting "I provided documentation". You posted a wikipedia link. And you didnt even quote the link. You just kept telling us what you think you read. And your deluded version of what you think you read in wikipedia was shredded by this

Dan Woodfin, a senior director for the ERCOT, told Bloomberg that wind turbine shutdowns accounted for less than 13 percent of total outages.

You have to ask yourself why your obedient agenda is more important than your integrity.
This was already addressed months ago. I provided quotes and links to the information from Ercot. We even talked about that quote, which you keep dragging out, but that was inconsistent with other information and detail provided by the organization.

I understand that you want to be 'right' - but we're done with this issue. The horse is dead and buried, and you are still trying to beat it. Time to move on.

This was already addressed months ago. I provided quotes and links to the information from Ercot. We even talked about that quote, which you keep dragging out, but that was inconsistent with other information and detail provided by the organization.

I understand that you want to be 'right' - but we're done with this issue. The horse is dead and buried, and you are still trying to beat it. Time to move on.
oh DC, thats special, You provided no quotes and no links from Ercot. You only posted a wiki link. You posted your vague recollections of what you think ercot said. I and others however did post quotes and links from ercot. Those quotes and links easily shredded your silly delusions. And DC, here's your typical dishonest cowardly conservative response in that thread

Continuously refuse to provide???? Really? You didn't ask. I've been listening to news conferences from ERCOT, Harris County, City of Houston, etc. The information has been widely reported. If you are curious, go look.

Not sure what your point is with the graph. ERCOT said this morning that about 7GW of wind capacity was still offline. Good that they have some online.

See, thats you assuring us you are right. and you had to ignore the actual quotes and links from Ercot to cling to your narrative. Thats exactly what people in a cult do.

I doubt the pipes themselves froze. NG doesn't freeze at slightly below freezing temperatures, unless the lines are full of water. More likely the control systems. It's odd though, the NG systems where I live have never frozen through cold snaps that have reached below zero. The equipment they were using, valves, pumps, controllers weren't set up for cold weather.

They have had many warnings that this sort of thing could happen. Welcome to the FREEDUMB state. No regulations, no service. I'll take regulations any day of the week.

So now instead of repairing all the systems (Needed for decades) the governor is building a chain link fence to keep immigrants out. Bolt cutters don't freeze.

oh DC, thats special, You provided no quotes and no links from Ercot. You only posted a wiki link. You posted your vague recollections of what you think ercot said. I and others however did post quotes and links from ercot. Those quotes and links easily shredded your silly delusions. And DC, here's your typical dishonest cowardly conservative response in that thread

See, thats you assuring us you are right. and you had to ignore the actual quotes and links from Ercot to cling to your narrative. Thats exactly what people in a cult do.
lol. Another swing and a miss. I also posted the same information (as did others). We're over 6 months out - and yet you are trying to salvage something. Take care. Feel free to have the last word.

I cannot take credit for this but it makes me laugh EVERY time I see it.

"We're flying electric helicopters on Mars, but you can't turn on your clothes dryer in Texas.
That's because scientists are in charge of Mars, and Republicans are in charge of Texas."

Ten yrs earlier a blizzard resulted in recommendations to winterize the grid system, including the NG pipes, which was turned down by the "no reg" minded Texas decision-makers. Don't need no stinking regs.

Yew goldurn Yankee boyz in Warshintin ain't gawn tell us how ta run are lives down heah in Tex-uss!!

Southern Colonel.jpg

Ever-thang's bigguh and bettuh heah in the GRE-E-E-EH-EHT and sovereign Republic of Tex-ass!!

Back
Top Bottom