• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Preferred Execution Method.

Preferred Execution Method.

• Old Sparky

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Gas

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Hanging

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Firing Squad

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Lethal Injection

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters

Squawker

Professor
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I don’t think we need to have any court discussion of the humane way to execute a cold blooded murderer. I vote for the same method he used to kill the victim.

WASHINGTON (AP) – The Supreme Court's latest clash over the death penalty involves the lethal chemical cocktail used by many states and whether it is an unnecessarily cruel way to die.
The high court temporarily stopped a Missouri execution early Wednesday so justices could consider a last-minute appeal. A few hours later, Vernon Brown was put to death, after justices lifted the stay.
The 5-4 vote was illustrative of the court's sharp division on the death penalty. Earlier this year, by the same vote, the justices issued a landmark ruling barring executions of juvenile killers on grounds they were cruel and unusual punishment.
Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote the majority opinion on that case; in the Brown case, he voted to allow the execution.
Brown was convicted of strangling a 9-year-old girl with a rope after luring her into his home as she walked home from school in 1986. His lawyers contended his execution would be cruel because the drug combination of sodium pentathal, pancuronium bromide and potassium chloride can paralyze inmates before subjecting them to suffocation, a burning sensation and a heart attack.
I wonder if he gave his victim a vote on how she died.
Lethal injection is used in 37 states because it is considered more humane than options like the gas chamber and hanging. Chemical solutions vary some by state.
Source

None of the above. I'm not a big supporter of the death penalty.

Squawker said:
I don’t think we need to have any court discussion of the humane way to execute a cold blooded murderer. I vote for the same method he used to kill the victim.

I would hate to have the job of executioner. What if he raped and murdered someone... eww.

She probably would have chose none of the above.

Squawker said:

Source

I'm a supporter of the death penalty. I said lethal injection.( hey they got the death penalty, let's do it in the least grewsome way possible.)

I put "other".

Since our brothers on the right are still supporting this terrible thing, why not make the pain as evil as possible, does he really understand what he has done if we just prick him with a needle?
Don't give me BS about it needs to be an honorable death, there's no honor in dying anymore.. in the Dark Ages? Yes, there was honor in dying, in World War II, yes there was honor in dying..

I don't think execution is the best way to settle things.

Non of the above. Two wrongs dont make a right. I dont see how killing a murder is going to bring back the person they killed. It wont. All it does is take another life. Allthough my personal choice of my death would be firing squad. Getting shot is a pretty quick death.

My preferred choice is the firing squad.

If society needs to execute a murder, rapist, or traitor, we should get it done with panache.

Then we can start talking about the death penalty as a deterrent.

Squawker said:

I highly agree with this but I think they should have to feel more pain than the person they killed.

Do you want to be the one to sex up John Wayne Gacy?

GarzaUK said:
Some people on this forum disturb me. lol :shock:
Same here, a being is a being and no matter what they did, they should not face what I consider inhumane treatment. Do they become un-human when they kill someone? Debatable, but the fact remains that they still have given rights and one of them is not to face inhumane treatment, which I consider the death penalty. Lock them up, make them think about what they have done, make sure they never get out onto the street again and as an added bonus, show that society really values a being's life.

I believe in public hanging like they did in the good ol' days. Execution is the only punishment shown to have a zero recidivism rate. My only problem is that we don't use execution for enough offenses. I am not saying that we should expand it to the point of being ridiculous, but rapists, murderers, child molesters, and other dangerous beings like those should get death. Hell, in Louisiana there are two crimes punishible by law, 1st degree murder(or second, might have gotten them mixed up) and forcible rape of a minor under 12.

LaMidRighter said:
I believe in public hanging like they did in the good ol' days. Execution is the only punishment shown to have a zero recidivism rate. My only problem is that we don't use execution for enough offenses. I am not saying that we should expand it to the point of being ridiculous, but rapists, murderers, child molesters, and other dangerous beings like those should get death. Hell, in Louisiana there are two crimes punishible by law, 1st degree murder(or second, might have gotten them mixed up) and forcible rape of a minor under 12.

My main problem with capital punishment is that it makes a murderer out of the government. It makes my tax money go toward such an effort of "eye for an eye," an idea that I personally believe will not solve any problem.

As the brown man said, "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

I'm gonna go make another notch on my wall for fitting in a Gandhi quote... :lol:

Am I the only one one thinks it humourous to use different methods to kill people based on how "humane" they are?

Perhaps if we slaughtered cows with a lethal injection PETA wouldn't be so mad, eh?

welcome2.gif
LaMidRighter !

My main problem with capital punishment is that it makes a murderer out of the government. It makes my tax money go toward such an effort of "eye for an eye," an idea that I personally believe will not solve any problem.
The government is already involved with murder via abortion. At least the criminal is guilty enough to deserve such harsh punishment. If the appeals process wasn't so long, we would save money. ;)

Squawker said:
welcome2.gif
LaMidRighter !

The government is already involved with murder via abortion. At least the criminal is guilty enough to deserve such harsh punishment. If the appeals process wasn't so long, we would save money. ;)
Yeah, that damned appeals process...oh, wait, what about evidence coming out...oh, yeah you are right about it all, forgive everything good sir. And that genetic evidence that wouldn't have come out if the process was streamlined and the murders put to dea....yeah, you are right.

Regardless of your views on Abortion, does it perform them as such? Do they hire people to perform them? It has been ruled by the court that they don't have to unless they want to, and not many states do. The government murders individuals who are thinking, concious beings. The government doesn't murder fetuses.

So abortion is murder because you are killing a human being, but somehow capital punishment is not murder? Is the person be killed NOT a human being somehow? If everybody from a zygote on up is a full fledged human life, then how is it OK to execute a murderer and bad to abort a fetus? :doh

I believe capitol punishment is just and proper but only if the punishment fits the crime, i.e, the most vile and harmful of acts against a fellow human being. I look at capitol punishment as being a relinquishing of the right to life by due process of law and have no problems with a long appeals process since it is a punishment that cannot be taken back or amended. That being said, I do believe that abortion is wrong from a moral standpoint, however, back alley abortions would still exist if we made the process illigitimate again and therefore it would serve us better as a country to encourage other options but still give a safe, legal means to do an abortion with less harm to the mother who choses the "nuclear" option for whatever reasons.

LaMidRighter said:
I believe capitol punishment is just and proper but only if the punishment fits the crime, i.e, the most vile and harmful of acts against a fellow human being. I look at capitol punishment as being a relinquishing of the right to life by due process of law and have no problems with a long appeals process since it is a punishment that cannot be taken back or amended. That being said, I do believe that abortion is wrong from a moral standpoint, however, back alley abortions would still exist if we made the process illigitimate again and therefore it would serve us better as a country to encourage other options but still give a safe, legal means to do an abortion with less harm to the mother who choses the "nuclear" option for whatever reasons.
Is a person not a person if they committed a crime? Do they not have human rights? How are they going to get out of prison for first degree murder? That is an automatic life in prison without possibility of parole and it means they will suffer longer (if you want to look at it that way). It just doesn't satisfy our need for revenge, does it? We need that because we want revenge. Eye for an eye? Life for a life? Yeah, revenge is a great thing (sarcasm)-much better than letting them rot in jail.

Oh, and if they are convicted for murder and say...evidence comes out that they were innocent...and they are dead? What then? Well, in Texas they just don't care-evidence came out proving innocence and after that, he was still executed, not granted a pardon, not giving a review of evidence by the courts there because it was thirty days after the origianl trial. How is that not a travesty? How is that allowed?

Going by the logic of life in prison is worse, there is still the problem of paying for said life in prison. On average, it costs around 45k a year per prisoner to house, feed, clothe, etc. each prisoner.
I don't think it is fair to the taxpayers of this nation to foot the bill for someone else's selfish and permanent actions, it is like screwing the taxpayer over and over again. Fact, taxpayers usually pay for the trial of a murder suspect, then after conviction also pay for the justice that must be administered to said guilty suspect, this also does not bring the victim back, yet, to get "revenge" as it has been put, the family of that victim ultimately pays a yearly fee to get that "revenge".
Notice I put revenge in quotations because I don't see the death penalty as revenge, I see it as punishment along with incarceration and/or fines and just as the other forms of punishment, it is a forfeiture of rights by due process of law caused by a criminal action against America.

LaMidRighter said:
Going by the logic of life in prison is worse, there is still the problem of paying for said life in prison. On average, it costs around 45k a year per prisoner to house, feed, clothe, etc. each prisoner.

45k a year?

I'd like a source if at all possible.

For example:

It costs less to lock someone up than it does to put them to death.

SOURCE

Last edited:
That came from a news report I heard a few years back. I will try to find the appropriate statistics.

Gandhi>Bush said:
45k a year?

I'd like a source if at all possible.

For example:

It costs less to lock someone up than it does to put them to death.

SOURCE
Well, I didn't have to tell him he was wrong, because there was no way he was right on that account.

My preference would be life sentences without the possibility of parole, with the time spent making little rocks out of big ones. In the event that the conviction was in error, let him out and pay him damages.

However, on the question; the first part of the multi-part lethal injection is an anesthetic such as is used in surgery. It renders the person completely unconscious in just a few seconds. There is no feeling of pain, or anything else, for that matter, as the other drugs kick in to cause death.

If the word can be reasonably applied to an execution, this method would be the most humane.

Fantasea said:
My preference would be life sentences without the possibility of parole, with the time spent making little rocks out of big ones. In the event that the conviction was in error, let him out and pay him damages.

However, on the question; the first part of the multi-part lethal injection is an anesthetic such as is used in surgery. It renders the person completely unconscious in just a few seconds. There is no feeling of pain, or anything else, for that matter, as the other drugs kick in to cause death.

If the word can be reasonably applied to an execution, this method would be the most humane.
Oh, I agree with you, I agree...wow...it is the most humane, but can any execution be considered humane?

Back
Top Bottom