• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Predictions for the 2016 Presidential Election

But like you said earlier, disdain for Trump and Clinton are at all-time record highs. It was something like 60% NeverTrump and 54% NeverClinton.

Bush vs Gore was something like 41% vs. 40%, for example.

This time is different.

We shall see. Predictions are foolish in this cycle, so I'm reticent.

OK, I looked around on that site I used, one I'm not familiar with. The averages do in fact include results from generic polls, some of them from years ago.

I will now agree that UT is much closer than the figures I cited (Mormons seem to have a strong aversion to Frump), but I dunno about the other states you pointed to. Texas is perhaps in play as well, but it looks like Hillary will win by double digits in NJ. I am completely certain that Trump will lose in MA. And who cares about WY?

Hi, I'm the guy who runs that site.

First of all, thanks for the link.

Second of all, I'll just briefly explain the "old polls". They aren't actually old polls, they are the results of the previous presidential elections. The basic idea is that in states that have had limited polling of the actual candidate combination in questions I use the previous election results to "jump start" the average based on the overall propensity of the state. As actual polls come in, the election results "roll off". I always use at least five data points to construct the average (more in some specific cases), just on the principle that you should never trust one or two polls in isolation.

In the case of states like Utah, what this means is that you start out assuming it will be a heavily Republican state, since the last five presidential elections varied from R+21.1% to R+48.0% (Average R+36.7%) and then only change that gradually if evidence comes in to contradict that. With three of the five data points now actually Clinton vs Trump, that average is now down to Trump +16.6%. The actual Trump vs Clinton polling has moved the average significantly toward Clinton, but it will take a couple more polls showing it very close or Clinton ahead for the model to fully "believe" it and actually show Utah as a competitive state. Basically, since Utah has been SO Republican in the past, it takes a decent amount of new evidence to move things to where the model actually classifies the state as a swing state.

One more poll showing a close race would probably do that, two definitely would. Utah has been sparsely polled, so the process takes awhile, unlike states that are traditionally "swing states" that have been polled a lot more and where the average has reflected only "real polls" for a long time now.

On my national summary page [ 2016 Electoral College - Clinton vs Trump - National Summary ] if you look down at the state breakdown, the states with no parentheses around the average are the ones where the average is 100% polls between the two candidates with no filler from election results. For those that still use election results, the number of parentheses tells you how many. For instance Arkansas has not been polled AT ALL for Clinton vs Trump, so has five pairs of parentheses and is based only on the historical elections from 1996 to 2012... while Minnesota has one pair of parentheses, so it is based on four actual polls, plus the 2012 results... and Iowa has no parentheses, so is 100% based on actual Clinton vs Trump polls. (You can also see this easily on the state detail pages of course, but the national view lets you easily see which states have more or less polling.)

This method seemed like a good compromise between saying "unknown" until there were five actual polls (which would be really unsatisfying and prevent building a good national picture), or basing an average on only 1 or 2 polls when that was all there were (which would give too much weight to individual polls).

It is all explained in my FAQ, but I know most people don't read that. :)

In any case, hope you find the site useful even if it takes looking a little carefully to interpret correctly sometimes.

On the contrary, he was from the beginning running to win, and he had a plan to do so until the last day. I personally believe that if Cruz had won Indiana and forced a brokered convention then Kasich would have had a reasonable chance to be the nominee.

LOL.....his plan to win was win 1 state and go into the convention waaaaaay behind in delegates and somehow pull it out? Hmmmm....not a very good plan, I must say.

Way too early predictions...

View attachment 67200936
We, right here at DP, will have a drinking game on election night and have to throw back a shot every time Trump says "fantastic" or "amazing" or "wonderful" in any context.

I've had my share of alcohol-abuse evenings. That's how people die, dude.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

LOL.....his plan to win was win 1 state and go into the convention waaaaaay behind in delegates and somehow pull it out? Hmmmm....not a very good plan, I must say.

At the end his calculation, accurate in my view, was that the Trump and Cruz delegates would hate each other's candidate more than they hated him. He was both sides' doomsday weapon.

At the end his calculation, accurate in my view, was that the Trump and Cruz delegates would hate each other's candidate more than they hated him. He was both sides' doomsday weapon.
Sorry....but if that was Kasich's plan...it was a pretty idiotic plan, pretty much doomed to fail from the beginning. I have a hard time believe that even HE was that big of an idiot.

Sorry....but if that was Kasich's plan...it was a pretty idiotic plan, pretty much doomed to fail from the beginning. I have a hard time believe that even HE was that big of an idiot.

Pretty smart plan, actually, from this year's best qualified presidential candidate.

I've had my share of alcohol-abuse evenings. That's how people die, dude.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

I am not your dad, you can play until you are uncomfortable and bow out. No shame.

But you and I both know that on election night Trump will be saying "fantastic," "amazing," and "wonderful" dozens of times.

Cruz underperformed in Indiana. Don't forget Lincoln was nominated by a convention he did not enter as the leading candidate.

Genius plan. Absolutely brilliant. Every Republican should adopt that same plan.

thanks for the link.

Thank you for developing the site, and for yer post here providing details about yer work. I liked it or I wouldn't have linked to it, and it was my own carelessness that led me to be confused about its content.

>>It is all explained in my FAQ, but I know most people don't read that. :)

I used to build sites, and yer right, visitors can drive you nuts. I'm definitely part of that group. It's like getting an electronic device and being determined not to read the directions unless yer forced to. I always think, "Geez, where's the fun in that?"

>>hope you find the site useful even if it takes looking a little carefully to interpret correctly sometimes.

Enh, maybe you'll be able to improve it over time. I figure you must be doing something right already to be ranked so high on Google for trump clinton polls.

LOL.....his plan to win was win 1 state and go into the convention waaaaaay behind in delegates and somehow pull it out?

I don't think that was his plan, and I don't think anyone said it was. He of course wanted to win as many states and as many delegates as possible. I don't hold him responsible for the behaviour of either the Super Christian psychos who voted for Scruz Loose or the jerks and the morons who voted for the Frumpster.

But you and I both know that on election night Trump will be saying "fantastic," "amazing," and "wonderful" dozens of times.

I wouldn't be surprised if he never uses language like that after the results start coming in. He strikes me as a poor loser, and I don't think he'll be celebrating anything.

And, as I predicted, the beginning of the end to Ryan's political career

How is this damaging to the most powerful political figure in the country? Even if Frump had any chance of winning, and I don't think he does, he couldn't get a single piece of legislation through the Congress if Ryan didn't like it. I expect this meeting will not go well, and Frump will take the worst of it. If things go as I anticipate, I'll enjoy watching this POS get run over.

>>The rest of the asshats soon to follow.

You see the Bush family as asshats? Funny, when I look at Frump, I see a bloviating buttocks. Thirty-five percent tariffs, religious tests for immigration, undermining NATO — makes me wonder if Frump is on Putin's payroll.

Last edited:
I think it is more like which VP hopeful will pick Trump. Most obvious choices would tell Trump no if asked.

Back
Top Bottom