• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Prediction: Roe v wade will be overturned

Winston

Advanced stage dementia patient pls support my run
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Setting the table for the conservative majority to overturn Roe v Wade.

maybe now democrats will understand how important the judiciary is but I won’t hold my breath.

maybe now democrats will understand how important the judiciary is but I won’t hold my breath.
Several states passed similar laws in 2018/2019 and not one of them has been enacted. All were challenged, those that have been adjudicated have all been overturned as unconstitutional.

Overturning RvW doesnt make abortion illegal...it sends it back to the states. Many states will maintain its legality and it's not possible under the Const to criminalize having an abortion. The most the other states can do is make it illegal to provide abortions and some almost do already...some very large states have only 1 facility. Even now, women go to a closer state's facility.

It does place what, thus far, SCOTUS has determined, place an undue burden on women in many cases (laws on requiring Dr's privileges at nearby hospitals, forcing viewing sonograms on women, etc)...there isnt that much else to challenge. Unless you have some things in mind?

Several states passed similar laws in 2018/2019 and not one of them has been enacted. All were challenged, those that have been adjudicated have all been overturned as unconstitutional.

Overturning RvW doesnt make abortion illegal...it sends it back to the states. Many states will maintain its legality and it's not possible under the Const to criminalize having an abortion. The most the other states can do is make it illegal to provide abortions and some almost do already...some very large states have only 1 facility. Even now, women go to a closer state's facility.

It does place what, thus far, SCOTUS has determined, place an undue burden on women in many cases (laws on requiring Dr's privileges at nearby hospitals, forcing viewing sonograms on women, etc)...there isnt that much else to challenge. Unless you have some things in mind?

I expect the lunatics in Arkansas to pass something. Now that they have ACB on the bench they don’t even need Roberts to overturn RvW:

Why is what the government in our state does regarding abortion rights of any concern to rest of the country?

And don't answer this with another question because I already know what it will be. And it's bad debate form.

It's an unconstitutional law and it will be struck down. You do realize it was a conservative majority that decided Roe vs Wade in the plaintiffs' favour, right?

Why is what the government in our state does regarding abortion rights of any concern to rest of the country?

And don't answer this with another question because I already know what it will be. And it's bad debate form.

Because your backwards state is trying to interfere with a woman's right to have an abortion. Why do you care if a woman wants to terminate her pregnancy? Will YOUR body ever suffer the ravages of gestation and child birth?

Because your backwards state is trying to interfere with a woman's right to have an abortion. Why do you care if a woman wants to terminate her pregnancy? Will YOUR body ever suffer the ravages of gestation and child birth?

You're answering questions with questions. Bad debating form.

Elective abortion is wrong and always will be.

And why do you insult my state?

Maybe...but SCOTUS has not leaned Democrat nominated majority for decades so not sure why this would be different. Besides, if abortion rights goes to the states, republicans will have nothing to run on except guns. I have always been under the impression that is why the Republicanican party hasn't overturned it already after having controlled the courts amd the legislature so many times in the last 50 years.

That said, overturning a constitutional right should never be easy.

You're answering questions with questions. Bad debating form.

Elective abortion is wrong and always will be.

And why do you insult my state?

I answered your question before asking questions of my own. Please answer them before asking more questions. Thank you.

Is RU486 "wrong"?

From what I know about it, it prevents implantation of a fertilized egg in the uterine wall. So at least for me personally I would say it is NOT wrong (as I've eventually come to believe that life begins not just at conception but at conception AND implantation.

But other anti abortion persons disagree with that.

Hope that answers your inquiry.

It's an unconstitutional law and it will be struck down. You do realize it was a conservative majority that decided Roe vs Wade in the plaintiffs' favour, right?

I hope you’re right. But the conservatives of today and the conservatives of the 1970s are worlds apart

Maybe...but SCOTUS has not leaned Democrat nominated majority for decades so not sure why this would be different. Besides, if abortion rights goes to the states, republicans will have nothing to run on except guns. I have always been under the impression that is why the Republicanican party hasn't overturned it already after having controlled the courts amd the legislature so many times in the last 50 years.

That said, overturning a constitutional right should never be easy.

they would continue to pander to the Christian Right with Israel/Palestine stuff. And the base would eat it up. They are eager to feel righteous

they would continue to pander to the Christian Right with Israel/Palestine stuff. And the base would eat it up. They are eager to feel righteous

Well fear and victimhood would certainly be business as usual but nothing gets the base's blood going like a good old fashioned abortion shaming.

While I agree 100% the judiciary is important I honestly don't ever see RvW being overturned

maybe I'm being naive but America isnt going to go backwards on woman's legal, equal and human rights . .

I know here and there they when these little battles but most times they are eventually overturned and reverted back.

The absurdity of making women a second class citizen in today's America I just can't see. I hope im right for the sake of rights, liberty and deomcracy.

Easy same reason it would matter if a state tried to legalize rape or made a law that treated women or men or whites or blacks etc as lessers and violated their current legal, civil and human rights etc etc . . theres lots of reasons in general.

Thats the basic premise of how america works, the fed is there to keep the states in line if they overstep

I expect the lunatics in Arkansas to pass something. Now that they have ACB on the bench they don’t even need Roberts to overturn RvW:
That really doesnt address my post. It just reiterates (the obvious in) yours.

Because case law in your state may end up impacting the nation.

Because the women in your state are still protected by the Constitution and state laws dont supersede that.

Why should women in your state be forced to remain pregnant when they cant care for/afford a kid when there is a safer medical procedure as an option?

(I answered your question and then asked my own. That should fulfill your request.)

Abortion 14 times safer than pregnancy
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Getting a legal abortion is much safer than giving birth, suggests a new U.S. study published Monday.​
Researchers found that women were about 14 times more likely to die during or after giving birth to a live baby than to die from complications of an abortion.​
(Dont bother avoiding the discussion by saying, "it's not safe for the unborn!" We all know that :rolleyes: We're discussing the law.)​

Last edited:

Progressive paranoia has no bounds.

The legislation is merely posturing, because it's un-Constitutional. This is similar to the the GOP House 'repealing' Obamacare over & over. It's done to keep the naive & unaware, believing and in the fold.

Ans: Constitutional Rights.

The right to have an abortion is a Constitutional Right.

CF: Planned Parenthood v. Casey

Ans: Constitutional Rights.

The right to have an abortion is a Constitutional Right.

CF: Planned Parenthood v. Casey

It isn't in the U.S. Constitution. Not even implied.

Because the women in your state are still protected by the Constitution and state laws dont supersede that.

Why should women in your state be forced to remain pregnant when they cant care for/afford a kid when there is a safer medical procedure as an option?

So your reasoning is that abortion SHOULD NOT be an option if a woman CAN AFFORD to care for a kid.

Okay, I'll go with that then

It isn't in the U.S. Constitution. Not even implied.
Didn't you say you taught the Constitution as a teacher?

Then you should know that not all Const rights have to be enumerated in the Const...see the 9th Amendment.

For example, where is your right to 'have' children? Where is your right to have consensual sex?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom