• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Prediction: In thirty to forty years, the GOP will be to the 'left' of the Democrats

Einzige

Elitist as Hell.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
... on fiscal issues. And this will be a direct consequence of this election.

To be sure, it isn't going to happen overnight. They'll probably put up a Movement Conservative in 2020, and may even win with one through a combination of voter fatigue and a cyclical recession.

But the long term trajectory is clear. William Jennings Bryan lost in 1896 (and 1900 and 1904), and the Democratic Party ran economically conservative candidates a few times thereafter (Alton Brooks Parker, John Davis, James Cox), but once the Democratic Party had settled on the white underclass for its base, the inevitable result was to drag the Democratic Party to the left on matters of economic egalitarianism and government intervention in the economy.

The same process will occur with the Republican Party, though my guess is that it'll be sold less as a progressive movement and more as a conservation of previous developments ("we must keep Social Security and Medicare solvent", "we must expand Affirmative Action to encompass low-income whites", etc.).

The Republican base isn't just far more socially conservative than the establishment - it's also far more economically liberal, in the New Deal sense of the word. That's what happens when you pander to the lumpenproletariat.

Meanwhile, the Democratic Party will become increasingly "conservative", not in the Movement Conservative sense of the term but in its preferences for established economic interests. That doesn't mean they're suddenly going to embrace Reaganoid economics; much of the emerging sectors of the modern economy - IT above all - prefers a more interventionist government. But that intervention will be directed towards increasingly less egalitarian ends and more towards the preservation of economic growth. This will run parallel to the gentrification of middle-class minorities, who will assimilate just as previous ethnic minority groups have.

The political battles of the future will be fought between nationalist populists and technocratic capitalists. Libertarians, Bernie Bros, and the Religious Right will be increasingly driven into the margins.

Re: Prediction: In thirty to forty years, the GOP will be to the 'left' of the Democr

If the people who run the GOP were smart they would move the GOP towards the center.I don't believe that the GOP will ever move to the left of the Democratic Party.

Who really knows what the GOP will be like after massive demographic change hits full force in the USA in around 2060?

I don't know what the GOP will be like after 2060,but one thing's for sure-it will be a lot different from what it is now.

Wait and see.

:lol:

Last edited:
Re: Prediction: In thirty to forty years, the GOP will be to the 'left' of the Democr

To be sure, it isn't going to happen overnight. They'll probably put up a Movement Conservative in 2020, and may even win with one through a combination of voter fatigue and a cyclical recession.

But the long term trajectory is clear. William Jennings Bryan lost in 1896 (and 1900 and 1904), and the Democratic Party ran economically conservative candidates a few times thereafter (Alton Brooks Parker, John Davis, James Cox), but once the Democratic Party had settled on the white underclass for its base, the inevitable result was to drag the Democratic Party to the left on matters of economic egalitarianism and government intervention in the economy.

The same process will occur with the Republican Party, though my guess is that it'll be sold less as a progressive movement and more as a conservation of previous developments ("we must keep Social Security and Medicare solvent", "we must expand Affirmative Action to encompass low-income whites", etc.).

The Republican base isn't just far more socially conservative than the establishment - it's also far more economically liberal, in the New Deal sense of the word. That's what happens when you pander to the lumpenproletariat.

Meanwhile, the Democratic Party will become increasingly "conservative", not in the Movement Conservative sense of the term but in its preferences for established economic interests. That doesn't mean they're suddenly going to embrace Reaganoid economics; much of the emerging sectors of the modern economy - IT above all - prefers a more interventionist government. But that intervention will be directed towards increasingly less egalitarian ends and more towards the preservation of economic growth. This will run parallel to the gentrification of middle-class minorities, who will assimilate just as previous ethnic minority groups have.

The political battles of the future will be fought between nationalist populists and technocratic capitalists. Libertarians, Bernie Bros, and the Religious Right will be increasingly driven into the margins.

I think the religious right has lost quite a lot of their power in the Republican Party they once had, say under Reagan and the nation as a whole. As this nation becomes less religious their power wanes. Political parties evolve and adjust to existing situations and circumstance and what you stated may come to pass or not. Since Reagan the GOP has talked fiscal responsibility, balance budget amendment etc. All the while driving the national debt sky high. Not to be out done, the Democrats have driven it even higher and at a faster rate. The exception was Bill Clinton. At least the Democrats were honest about not being fiscal responsible for the most part.

I haven't the faintest idea about how or where both parties will be in thirty or forty years. Growing up in the 1950's, I would have never guessed the Democratic Party would become the peace dove party. Back then the Democrats were the foreign interventionist, the war hawks, Republican Party still contained isolationist. For all his talk of peace and disengagement, Obama has become as much a war hawk, foreign interventionist as both Bush's. Strange if one looks back on Reagan, whom everyone thought was a war hawk, what did he get us involved in? Grenada and central America with the contras.

It is possible you're correct, but what happens to the two parties will be how they adjust to situations as they arise. The polarization of the two major parties today is libel to continue on into the near future. Whatever one party is for, the other against. I just hope that at sometime both major parties stop putting their party first over country. We shall see, but I think that is the main reason independents have risen from 18% of the total electorate under Eisenhower, 30% under Reagan thru Bush the younger to 42% today. Both parties putting their fortunes ahead of this nation and most Americans are becoming fed up with it.

I think the religious right has lost quite a lot of their power in the Republican Party they once had, say under Reagan and the nation as a whole. As this nation becomes less religious their power wanes. Political parties evolve and adjust to existing situations and circumstance and what you stated may come to pass or not. Since Reagan the GOP has talked fiscal responsibility, balance budget amendment etc. All the while driving the national debt sky high. Not to be out done, the Democrats have driven it even higher and at a faster rate. The exception was Bill Clinton. At least the Democrats were honest about not being fiscal responsible for the most part.

I haven't the faintest idea about how or where both parties will be in thirty or forty years. Growing up in the 1950's, I would have never guessed the Democratic Party would become the peace dove party. Back then the Democrats were the foreign interventionist, the war hawks, Republican Party still contained isolationist. For all his talk of peace and disengagement, Obama has become as much a war hawk, foreign interventionist as both Bush's. Strange if one looks back on Reagan, whom everyone thought was a war hawk, what did he get us involved in? Grenada and central America with the contras.

It is possible you're correct, but what happens to the two parties will be how they adjust to situations as they arise. The polarization of the two major parties today is libel to continue on into the near future. Whatever one party is for, the other against. I just hope that at sometime both major parties stop putting their party first over country. We shall see, but I think that is the main reason independents have risen from 18% of the total electorate under Eisenhower, 30% under Reagan thru Bush the younger to 42% today. Both parties putting their fortunes ahead of this nation and most Americans are becoming fed up with it.

If Reagan were around today they would call him a RINO.

My bet is that power in the Republican Party will oscillate between conservatives and nationalists from here out. Trump will lose this time and the conservatives will get the next crack at it, but as soon as they show any weakness the populists will be back in force.

Well, who knows when the Millennials are in charge, as most of them are probably for progress. My kids say we need more parties on the ballot; Libertarian, Democrat, Green, with maybe a skeleton of the GOP . I won't be around by then to see.

If Reagan were around today they would call him a RINO.

I am sure you are right. My political mentor Barry Goldwater is no longer considered the father of modern day conservatism. Today neo and social conservatives refer to him as a libertarian. Keeping government out of the bedroom and womb definitely irked those religious conservatives.

You have quite a lot of Trump supporters who now call him a populist, a nationalist and a nativist. Not a conservative which he isn't. Isn't it strange that Ryan who prior to Trump was a conservative golden boy which now the Trumpers refer to him as a RINO and want him gone. Trump stands for a lot of things that got other Republicans called RINO's, but now since Trump is for those things, those other Republicans who were RINO's are now good Republicans. That is if they support Trump.

RINO has lost all its meanings if it ever did have one. All a RINO means today is a Republican who opposes some of your views and of course, the candidate your for. It has no ideological connotation anymore.

The American Establishment is officially the enemy of our species and the enemy of Planet Earth.

What is 'the Establishment'? That's a particularly retarded bit of pop cultural analysis that the Trumptards picked up from their spiritual predecessors, the 1960s New Left.

Donald Trump is very much Establishment himself. You aren't a billionaire who lives in downtown Manhattan without being the essence of Establishment. Now, he isn't particularly popular with New York haute cotoure, but he's the very essence of the insider compared to the average American. In a strange way, this mirrors the Clintons - yeah, they're Establishment as Hell, but they were disliked by the Washington Elite in the 1990s for being a couple of hicks from Bumble****, Arkansas.

Conservatives always exempt capitalists from their conception of 'the Establishment', which is odd, as this nation is run by and for capitalists.

Back
Top Bottom