• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Preacher (no spoilers)

Cardinal

Respected On All Sides
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Vertigo fans who learned that AMC was taking on one of the all-time kings of the graphic novel genre, Preacher, may have experienced apprehension that the same horror that made Constantine family-friendly would also be visited upon one of their iconic favorites, while also experiencing the inevitable nerd-gasm that comes with such an announcement. It's no secret that graphic novels have historically adapted poorly to the screen (big or small), though in my opinion the reaction to Watchmen was kind of unfair. However, while Watchmen did not have (to my knowledge) Alan Moore's direct hand involved, fans will be pleased to hear that the television adaptation of Preacher is produced and written with Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon on board. This would not only imply that their input is valued, but that it is explicit. Both are true, from the pacing, the facial ticks, the casting and some of the actors who you could swear had makeup or cgi applied to make them look just a little bit more like Matt Dillon's illustrations.

The casting of Dominic Cooper for the titular role took a small amount of warming up to for the sole reason that he didn't look like the comics version (which is admittedly only a problem for nerds). However, by the end I was convinced that he had the character and the screen presence to pull off the character successfully. Ruth Negga likewise brings attitude and screen presence to Tulip, but the real treat is what Joseph Gilgun brings to the comic relief sidekick Cassidy. You will love every moment he is on screen, and no matter how relevant the surrounding scenes and how charismatic the characters that fill them, you will always be a just a little sad when his scenes end. While every actor in every new show needs to grow into their roles, Gilgun seems to arrive in the show completely fleshed out. He is an instant win.

Visually, this show is made for graphic novel fans. Gorgeous panoramas of landscapes and outer space, fantastic compositions, cleverly shot background scenes of characters just poking their heads around a corner, everything you liked about the comic will be here. With any luck the cinematographer will remain on board to the very end.

The dialogue, even when seemingly irrelevant or gratuitous, is captivating. Only when looked at in hindsight are you left with the feeling that none of it is gratuitous in the lesat. Everything interlocks and has functionality. The pacing is perfect, and no scene overstays its welcome.

Warning to parents: this is not made for you and the young ones. It's made for fans who demand absolute loyalty to the humorous, gritty and often gory nature of the graphic novel.

Rating: 9/10. It would be 10/10, but as with most first episodes it needs to flesh itself out a bit more, with the exception of Cassidy who comes out of the box fully assembled.

Thanks, I'll probably binge it when the season is over. I read the comic book years ago but I always thought it was pretty pretentious and excessive just to offend people using southern stereotypes.

I don't like it.

Then again, I am not a fan of gratuitous violence and foul language...I'm a grown-up. :coffeepap:

I'm liking Preacher so far. It really exceeded my expectations.

I don't like it.

Then again, I am not a fan of gratuitous violence and foul language...I'm a grown-up. :coffeepap:

Well, I suppose you could always watch "It's a Wonderful Life" on a constant loop.

Well, I suppose you could always watch "It's a Wonderful Life" on a constant loop.

Awesome movie, as are most done by Frank Capra. He made quite a number and there are also many, many, other high quality movies...some even with NON-gratuitous violence that are eminently more watchable than this tripe. :)

Vertigo fans who learned that AMC was taking on one of the all-time kings of the graphic novel genre, Preacher, may have experienced apprehension that the same horror that made Constantine family-friendly would also be visited upon one of their iconic favorites, while also experiencing the inevitable nerd-gasm that comes with such an announcement. It's no secret that graphic novels have historically adapted poorly to the screen (big or small), though in my opinion the reaction to Watchmen was kind of unfair. However, while Watchmen did not have (to my knowledge) Alan Moore's direct hand involved, fans will be pleased to hear that the television adaptation of Preacher is produced and written with Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon on board. This would not only imply that their input is valued, but that it is explicit. Both are true, from the pacing, the facial ticks, the casting and some of the actors who you could swear had makeup or cgi applied to make them look just a little bit more like Matt Dillon's illustrations.

The casting of Dominic Cooper for the titular role took a small amount of warming up to for the sole reason that he didn't look like the comics version (which is admittedly only a problem for nerds). However, by the end I was convinced that he had the character and the screen presence to pull off the character successfully. Ruth Negga likewise brings attitude and screen presence to Tulip, but the real treat is what Joseph Gilgun brings to the comic relief sidekick Cassidy. You will love every moment he is on screen, and no matter how relevant the surrounding scenes and how charismatic the characters that fill them, you will always be a just a little sad when his scenes end. While every actor in every new show needs to grow into their roles, Gilgun seems to arrive in the show completely fleshed out. He is an instant win.

Visually, this show is made for graphic novel fans. Gorgeous panoramas of landscapes and outer space, fantastic compositions, cleverly shot background scenes of characters just poking their heads around a corner, everything you liked about the comic will be here. With any luck the cinematographer will remain on board to the very end.

The dialogue, even when seemingly irrelevant or gratuitous, is captivating. Only when looked at in hindsight are you left with the feeling that none of it is gratuitous in the lesat. Everything interlocks and has functionality. The pacing is perfect, and no scene overstays its welcome.

Warning to parents: this is not made for you and the young ones. It's made for fans who demand absolute loyalty to the humorous, gritty and often gory nature of the graphic novel.

Rating: 9/10. It would be 10/10, but as with most first episodes it needs to flesh itself out a bit more, with the exception of Cassidy who comes out of the box fully assembled.

My cousin has some of the comic books. I thought they were ok.

Danke schön :mrgreen:

Bitte. [emoji1]

But you should enjoy it while it's still up.
I previously was frequenting a website called MovieTube, but they got sued by every major film production company and got shut down.

I wouldn't be surprised if that happens to this website eventually.

My cousin has some of the comic books. I thought they were ok.

I think that the comics had excellent "character moments," but the illustrations were always my favorite part. If I had one criticism, it's that the story's flow could get a little gunky at times. The show keeps all the beauty of the compositions and individual scenes, while smoothing out the plot development.

Really? They're 720p quality for me.

At least the TV Shows are.

The movies appear to be hand held cam (which makes sense) and the Preacher's image is made up of, like, twelve pixels. I could never watch these things.

The movies appear to be hand held cam (which makes sense) and the Preacher's image is made up of, like, twelve pixels. I could never watch these things.
Oh yeah, those handheld camera movies I don't watch.

I only watch the TV Shows on the website, as well as the movies that are uploaded in HQ.

Did you try changing the different servers at the bottom of the video screen? That may help with your quality problem.

Bitte. [emoji1]

But you should enjoy it while it's still up.
I previously was frequenting a website called MovieTube, but they got sued by every major film production company and got shut down.

I wouldn't be surprised if that happens to this website eventually.

I think that the comics had excellent "character moments," but the illustrations were always my favorite part. If I had one criticism, it's that the story's flow could get a little gunky at times. The show keeps all the beauty of the compositions and individual scenes, while smoothing out the plot development.

Damn:shock:

Central African dude exploded:shock:

That scene actually made me jump and go WTF, because I went into this show without knowing it had a supernatural element to it.

I knew that there was like a vampire in this show but I wasn't really expecting that, you know?

Your from Texas, right? So this is like set in your backyard :mrgreen:

I knew that there was like a vampire in this show but I wasn't really expecting that, you know?

Neither was I. But that was a great opening scene.

Your from Texas, right? So this is like set in your backyard :mrgreen:

Yeah, but "Texas" is really Albuquerque, NM.

It's like how in FTWD, "Los Angeles" is really Vancouver.

Neither was I. But that was a great opening scene.

Yeah, but "Texas" is really Albuquerque, NM.

It's like how in FTWD, "Los Angeles" is really Vancouver.

I've got cousins up in Vancouver too. It's a beautiful city.

Irish vampire guy just showed up.

He's my favorite character so far.

The airplane fight scene was good---especially the whacked out Bible that those guys wrote all over.

The scene in Kansas was hilarious I'm dying :lamo

"Awesome!"

The airplane fight scene was good---especially the whacked out Bible that those guys wrote all over.

Yeah. They made that laughing and joking around seem really fake and tense, which really fit with the scene.

The scene in Kansas was hilarious I'm dying :lamo

"Awesome!"

I loved how the car was just wildly driving in a cornfield.

Back
Top Bottom