• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pre screening of new Star Trek tonight

MaggieD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I'm so excited! Thought I was buying an advance ticket for tomorrow, but it's tonight. Woot!!

Recording the convention, though. Don't want to miss Ivanka and Donald.

I'm so excited! Thought I was buying an advance ticket for tomorrow, but it's tonight. Woot!!

Oooh man. This looks good.

Please, please don't let me down J.J Abrams.

We will almost certainly see it this weekend!

Have fun, Maggie! I gave it a 7.5/10 in the movie thread. Better than I expected.

Me and the family are going on Monday afternoon. Can't wait.

What's funny about Star Trek is that it was a failed TV series in the 60's that didn't become popular until they started showing the re-runs in the afternoon after kids got out school. It's amazing how the franchise has evolved over the years and gotten even more popular.

Do I need to watch the other movies before this one? Never a big Star Trek fan, huge sci-fi fan, though, but this one has peaked my interest. And I could use a good few hours in a movie theater.

Do I need to watch the other movies before this one? Never a big Star Trek fan, huge sci-fi fan, though, but this one has peaked my interest. And I could use a good few hours in a movie theater.

I would doubt it. I think they pretty much stand alone.

No need, though the 2009 movie gives a good background on Kirk's motivations in this.

Thanks, guys. Might have to check it out this weekend.

Yes you do, in this order back to back........with no potty breaks.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Hom
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
Star Trek Generations
Star Trek: First Contact
Star Trek: Insurrection
Star Trek: Nemesis
Star Trek
Star Trek Into Darkness

:mrgreen:

My youngest is coming home this weekend so he can see the movie with me and his mom. I'm looking forward to both the movie and seeing my little buddy.

Isn't it going to be a bit sad watching it considering what recently happened?

Isn't it going to be a bit sad watching it considering what recently happened?

After the lengthy closing credits, after the music stopped, a title card came up saying, "In memory of Leonard Nimoy." Then a second screen said "And Anton."

Chekhov had a much bigger role in this installment. It was bittersweet watching him. What a senseless death.

I give it a solid 8. Was not disappointed. Great battle sequences. Brand new awesome weapons of mass destruction. Interesting personal weapons. Fine heroine. Formidable villain. As always, awesome special effects. I don't want to say much more as it needs to unfold before your eyes.

My spoiler free review:

This is the Trek movie we've been waiting for out of this group. While I still dislike the JJverse, think it's too focused on action this one got "out there" and felt like a Trek movie at it's heart. The humor was amazing, the actors all seemed to be settling into their roles and well... I just enjoyed 85% of the movie.

Can hollywood PLEASE stop with the shaky camera in the actors armpit for fight scenes? On that 6 story mega super 4k laser screen, the action was unfollowable. I mean that. Otherwise, amazingly fun movie, good visuals over all. Like the other two this movie had some plot hole/weakness but it wasn't as bad as "Into Darkness". By a long shot.

Yeah, I'm going. Star Trek movies are ALWAYS Big Screen Events.

My spoiler free review:

This is the Trek movie we've been waiting for out of this group. While I still dislike the JJverse, think it's too focused on action this one got "out there" and felt like a Trek movie at it's heart. The humor was amazing, the actors all seemed to be settling into their roles and well... I just enjoyed 85% of the movie.

Can hollywood PLEASE stop with the shaky camera in the actors armpit for fight scenes? On that 6 story mega super 4k laser screen, the action was unfollowable. I mean that. Otherwise, amazingly fun movie, good visuals over all. Like the other two this movie had some plot hole/weakness but it wasn't as bad as "Into Darkness". By a long shot.

Completely agree with your review. Your last paragraph? Thought the same thing . Did you think that the scenes were often dark? I saw it on an IMAX screen and wondered if that was why...especially the first half of the movie.

Completely agree with your review. Your last paragraph? Thought the same thing . Did you think that the scenes were often dark? I saw it on an IMAX screen and wondered if that was why...especially the first half of the movie.

This screen claims to be bigger than IMAX, it's very bright, but even then much of the initial 1/3 could have used more light. Otherwise it was a fun, fun movie.

It was alright. I definitely think it was better written and conceived than "Into Darkness," and avoided making a lot of the same mistakes (less formulaic, more original, fewer irritating plot elements that defy all scientific fact and common sense, and it didn't blatantly rip huge chunks out of earlier - far better - Trek films in order to try and cash-in on blind nostalgia). Unfortunately, however, it also made a lot of brand new mistakes, particularly regarding it's handling of the film's villain.

Basically, they seemed to have been very concerned with hiding the identity of the actor playing the villain. For that reason, they covered him in a metric crap-ton of make up, and had him behave nothing like his usual self. That left him feeling a bit stilted and under-developed.

I mean... Kudos to them on this much...

I really didn't know that was Edris Elba until the very end (though I did guess at the twist surrounding him fairly early on).

However, it still felt like a bit of a waste of a damn fine actor, his abilities, and his potential to contribute to making the film more memorable.

Apart from that, my only complaints would be that the action sequences moved a bit too fast to track a lot of the time (particularly seeing it in 3D), and that the overt focus on retro music was somewhat distracting and over the top. The alien girl's "you killed my father" scene felt a bit tacked on and unnecessary as well, and I think McCoy needs to be played like a bit less of a one-dimension caricature.

On the whole, however, I think I'd give it about a 7. The first is still the best, but this wasn't bad either.

Additional thoughts:

- Interesting to see them delve so heavily into the lore of "Enterprise" for the backstory of their plot here, seeing as how that's generally regarded as being the "Redheaded Stepchild" of the franchise.

- Who were the pink alien girl and the other alien guy who served as Krall's lieutenant? Were they Starfleet officers who had transformed themselves as well, or aliens he'd picked up along the way?

- Kind of disappointed that the new, replacement, Enterprise seems to look exactly like the old one. Why not branch out a little?

It was alright. I definitely think it was better written and conceived than "Into Darkness," and avoided making a lot of the same mistakes (less formulaic, more original, fewer irritating plot elements that defy all scientific fact and common sense, and it didn't blatantly rip huge chunks out of earlier - far better - Trek films in order to try and cash-in on blind nostalgia). Unfortunately, however, it also made a lot of brand new mistakes, particularly regarding it's handling of the film's villain.

Basically, they seemed to have been very concerned with hiding the identity of the actor playing the villain. For that reason, they covered him in a metric crap-ton of make up, and had him behave nothing like his usual self. That left him feeling a bit stilted and under-developed.

I mean... Kudos to them on this much...

I really didn't know that was Edris Elba until the very end (though I did guess at the twist surrounding him fairly early on).

However, it still felt like a bit of a waste of a damn fine actor, his abilities, and his potential to contribute to making the film more memorable.

Apart from that, my only complaints would be that the action sequences moved a bit too fast to track a lot of the time (particularly seeing it in 3D), and that the overt focus on retro music was somewhat distracting and over the top. The alien girl's "you killed my father" scene felt a bit tacked on and unnecessary as well, and I think McCoy needs to be played like a bit less of a one-dimension caricature.

On the whole, however, I think I'd give it about a 7. The first is still the best, but this wasn't bad either.

Additional thoughts:

- Interesting to see them delve so heavily into the lore of "Enterprise" for the backstory of their plot here, seeing as how that's generally regarded as being the "Redheaded Stepchild" of the franchise.

- Who were the pink alien girl and the other alien guy who served as Krall's lieutenant? Were they Starfleet officers who had transformed themselves as well, or aliens he'd picked up along the way?

- Kind of disappointed that the new, replacement, Enterprise seems to look exactly like the old one. Why not branch out a little?

I was confused myself as to what Kral's army was- were they aliens or AI robots who just did what they were told? That bioweapon was strange too- it needed an atmosphere to kill? If Kral could take out a ship like the Enterprise, why would he need a little bitty weapon like that when he could have just attacked Yorktown directly? Why didnt Kral just keep making more of those little bee ships instead?

We just came back from seeing it in IMAX 3D. Loved it. I could quibble about some things but the show is so damned good natured and fun that why would I? The movie did a great job of capturing Roddenberry's original vision of the future and the character interactions are so true to the original that for me, someone who's watched the series since the original originally aired, it felt like visiting with old friends.

Killing the alien swarm with the Beastie Boys was genius. Don't mess with Brooklyn

Yes you do, in this order back to back........with no potty breaks.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Hom
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
Star Trek Generations
Star Trek: First Contact
Star Trek: Insurrection
Star Trek: Nemesis
Star Trek
Star Trek Into Darkness

:mrgreen:

Please.... let's not be gauche.

FIRST she has to watch all 72 episodes of TOS, THEN the movies... THEN all the TNG episodes, THEN the TNG movies.... DS9, Voyager and Enterprise optional but suggested....

THEN she was watch the reboot movies...

:D

Please.... let's not be gauche.

FIRST she has to watch all 72 episodes of TOS, THEN the movies... THEN all the TNG episodes, THEN the TNG movies.... DS9, Voyager and Enterprise optional but suggested....

THEN she was watch the reboot movies...

:D

:lol:

I've seen like, 2 episodes of TNG.

Back
Top Bottom