• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pre-Revolutionary France and the Post-economic collapse United States

Are they similar?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Teh Internets

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Do you think the United States after defaulting could resemble France in 1792?

Considering that a lot of people in this country could be cut from entitlements and left jobless and homeless. Also that there is out of control spending, debt and a very dissatisfied middle class with a very, very rich minority. Along with wars that we can't afford and don't really have to be in. On top of that, a complacent government that is corrupt to the core.

Just something I was thinking about and was wondering if anyone thought something similar.

I'm not sure if it is closer to 1792 French or early 20th century Russia, but things are bad that's for sure.

No. The US is not as bad as France. But they do have slight similarities.

Considering that a lot of people in this country could be cut from entitlements and left jobless and homeless. Also that there is out of control spending, debt and a very dissatisfied middle class with a very, very rich minority. Along with wars that we can't afford and don't really have to be in. On top of that, a complacent government that is corrupt to the core.

Just something I was thinking about and was wondering if anyone thought something similar.

Nah, we may be in a bad position, but we're all sensible americans, not barbaric animals like the french revolutionaries. We got ourselves into this mess without firing a shot, and we well get out of it without firing a shot.

I see some similarities - as we've discussed here before over the last few years. But we don't have the same views and values that the Frenchmen (citizens) did at that time.

How we approach our situations and come to resolve is very different - and mind you - their Constitution of the Year 3 didnt' last very long. . . so I pray we don't go down that same path at all.

I see some similarities - as we've discussed here before over the last few years. But we don't have the same views and values that the Frenchmen (citizens) did at that time.

How we approach our situations and come to resolve is very different - and mind you - their Constitution of the Year 3 didnt' last very long. . . so I pray we don't go down that same path at all.

The revolutionaries in France actually looked to the American founders for inspiration. It is one reason their flag is red white and blue now.

The revolutionaries in France actually looked to the American founders for inspiration. It is one reason their flag is red white and blue now.

Nothing wrong with 'looking to' - we looked to others hence our bits and pieces which resemble various other governments and so forth. But 'looking to' is different than 'thinking like'

Nah, we may be in a bad position, but we're all sensible americans, not barbaric animals like the french revolutionaries. We got ourselves into this mess without firing a shot, and we well get out of it without firing a shot.

I'm sure that they were sensible Frenchmen before they couldn't afford food too, desperation can drive people to do some crazy things.

I'm sure that they were sensible Frenchmen before they couldn't afford food too, desperation can drive people to do some crazy things.

The events with the Third Estate do seem strickingly similar to recent events where people have been banned from publicly meeting to discuss their local politics.

last time i checked, Mcdonalds is one of the many restaurants growing in the US, i highly doubt any is going to lack food, even if it's healthy and high-calorie.

last time i checked, Mcdonalds is one of the many restaurants growing in the US, i highly doubt any is going to lack food, even if it's healthy and high-calorie.

McDonalds is healthy? Also food was just an example, I could insert a lot of hardships and get a reasonable statement.

ex. homes, money, income.

McDonalds is healthy? Also food was just an example, I could insert a lot of hardships and get a reasonable statement.

ex. homes, money, income.

unhealthy*

Not really, i can't see any violent civil war erupting out of this. The most that happens is there is not enough jobs so there is high unemployment....they called this the great depression, and we survived, without killing each other. So this "irrationality" only exists inside your mind. There is no "black plague", there is no "mass starvation", we will get through this just fine, it might take a while, but we will. It's happened before.

unhealthy*

Not really, i can't see any violent civil war erupting out of this. The most that happens is there is not enough jobs so there is high unemployment....they called this the great depression, and we survived, without killing each other. So this "irrationality" only exists inside your mind. There is no "black plague", there is no "mass starvation", we will get through this just fine, it might take a while, but we will. It's happened before.

You are correct in assuming that this will probably amount to nothing I'm just talking about a worst case scenario.

Civil war is highly unlikely.
In my opinion, the most likely course will be another great depression, albeit one of greater size. Unemployment may hover around 20% or over. There will be great violence like the US in the 90's out of both economic desperation and political aspirations, but not reaching to the size of a civl war

You are correct in assuming that this will probably amount to nothing I'm just talking about a worst case scenario.
hehe true...then again, whats the worst case scenario after a blood thirsty revolution? What would happen to our nuclear stockpiles?

Let's default and tell China we are not paying them back! WW3 would create a booming economy. Just kidding of course but ya know, it's a thought.

So China would ruin its own economy by attacking its best customer and we would have no one to buy from. Yep, makes sense.

So China would ruin its own economy by attacking its best customer and we would have no one to buy from. Yep, makes sense.

Guess I should know better than to make a light hearted joking comment in here, you guys need to lighten up, life is too short. It was a JOKE! Before anyone says it, yes I will keep my day job!

Guess I should know better than to make a light hearted joking comment in here, you guys need to lighten up, life is too short. It was a JOKE! Before anyone says it, yes I will keep my day job!

Lol I thought you were trolling sorry.:)

Back
Top Bottom