• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pre-Poll: Will Trump Attend 2020 Debates against Democrats?

Mach

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Wife and I were discussing this last night.

Will Donald Trump attend moderated debates with the Democratic nominee before the next election?

I said obviously he will..he loves a brawl and loves being on TV, and would hate to be called a coward.

But it was pointed out that he has opted not to attend the press roast and other events because of concerns that the welcome will be cold.
He doesn't really engage the press, he shuts down the questions he doesn't like, and then riffs on random stuff he wants to talk about..he won't be able to control the moderators that same way.
It will not likely be (only) on Fox news, it would have to be on some less partisan network...is there any at this time he considers neutral?
He refused to talk to Mueller over and over and over, and succeeded at not doing so.
Given the absolutely mind boggling number of thing she can be called out on (Helsinki, child separation, crimes, criminal staff, white nationalism/racism, a long list) there is no way he'll do it.

So now I'm thinking I'm not so sure. What say you? Will Donald Trump agree to televised, moderated debates against the Democratic candidate before the next election?

Will Donald Trump attend moderated debates with the Democratic nominee before the next election?

I said obviously he will..he loves a brawl and loves being on TV, and would hate to be called a coward.

But it was pointed out that he has opted not to attend the press roast and other events because of concerns that the welcome will be cold.
He doesn't really engage the press, he shuts down the questions he doesn't like, and then riffs on random stuff he wants to talk about..he won't be able to control the moderators that same way.
It will not likely be (only) on Fox news, it would have to be on some less partisan network...is there any at this time he considers neutral?
He refused to talk to Mueller over and over and over, and succeeded at not doing so.
Given the absolutely mind boggling number of thing she can be called out on (Helsinki, child separation, crimes, criminal staff, white nationalism/racism, a long list) there is no way he'll do it.

So now I'm thinking I'm not so sure. What say you? Will Donald Trump agree to televised, moderated debates against the Democratic candidate before the next election?

Why should he, unless he gets terms he likes? Otherwise what's the point?

Yes, I think he will.
He picked off something like 16 Republicans in the last debates, and the Democrats sure can't beat him on the issues, so this will be a walk in the park for him. Plus, his base will be looking forward to watching him pick these donkey leftists off one by one...

Last edited:
Yes, I think he will.
He picked off something 16 Republicans in the last debates, and the Democrats sure can't beat him on the issues, so this will be a walk in the park for him. Plus, his base will be looking forward to watching him pick these donkey leftists off one by one...

I mentioned to the wife how he relished the Republican primary debates too. But back then he had no record, he could say anything, no one really knew or could call him out on much.
Now that we know, I suspect he's savvy enough to know the gig is up. But I really feel it could go either way. I mean, like him or not, he's left a trail of felons and calamity that good debate prep could craft zingers on for days...years...and he hides out now that he can. And yet Democrats have been known to ruin momentum with huge unforced errors..he might roll the dice.

Why should he, unless he gets terms he likes? Otherwise what's the point?

What terms do you think he would like? Friendly Fox only?

There is no political advantage to debate the nominees. That would be stupid to give the democrats more than 2-3 opportunities. He will wait to debate the democratic candidate.

I mentioned to the wife how he relished the Republican primary debates too. But back then he had no record, he could say anything, no one really knew or could call him out on much.
Now that we know, I suspect he's savvy enough to know the gig is up. But I really feel it could go either way. I mean, like him or not, he's left a trail of felons and calamity that good debate prep could craft zingers on for days...years...and he hides out now that he can. And yet Democrats have been known to ruin momentum with huge unforced errors..he might roll the dice.

As another poster said, he really doesn't need to show up. I don't know. I wish he would because it would be entertaining as hell if all the left has to throw at him is the race card. They won't beat him on the economy or IMO, immigration issues either.

Yes, it is very possible he will boycott the debates. There is no upside to him actually showing up, as any opponent can rip his record and conduct apart. His greatest hits are old hat and the only people interested in that are his base, so he might just decide to hold endless rallys instead.

Still, he understands that without the presidency he is open to legal trouble for previously hidden con games, and he'd like to keep that protection going. Thus, he might choose to go out in a blaze of glory, hoping a perfect storm happens again.

Probably WAY too early to speculate on that.

He's already won the first two Dem debates, so why not?

Yes, it is very possible he will boycott the debates. There is no upside to him actually showing up, as any opponent can rip his record and conduct apart. His greatest hits are old hat and the only people interested in that are his base, so he might just decide to hold endless rallys instead.

Still, he understands that without the presidency he is open to legal trouble for previously hidden con games, and he'd like to keep that protection going. Thus, he might choose to go out in a blaze of glory, hoping a perfect storm happens again.

He couldn't answer questions under oath with Mueller because he can't go five minutes without lying. So he avoided that.

This is different. No criminal penalty attached to lying and making a fool of himself on the debate stage. But as you say, he has provided so much material to whoever his opponent is, he has to be aware somewhere in his reptilian brain that a debate is going to be different from a rally and he's going to be skewered. So, I guess there's a greater than usual chance that he won't accept debates and will do different variations on his one-man show.

My guess is that he will. He could stand there and drool, and his base would say that he was just doing a parody of his opponent, IMO.

He couldn't answer questions under oath with Mueller because he can't go five minutes without lying. So he avoided that.

This is different. No criminal penalty attached to lying and making a fool of himself on the debate stage. But as you say, he has provided so much material to whoever his opponent is, he has to be aware somewhere in his reptilian brain that a debate is going to be different from a rally and he's going to be skewered. So, I guess there's a greater than usual chance that he won't accept debates and will do different variations on his one-man show.
When he debated in 2016 he didn't believe he could win and was just putting on show, so he wasn't actually playing seriously.

This time he's not the entertaining court joker, he's an incumbent with a record that can be easily picked apart on trial, and this time his abusive personality won't be cute to the 55-56% of the country that can't stand him.

My guess is that he will. He could stand there and drool, and his base would say that he was just doing a parody of his opponent, IMO.

Or he could beat them on the important stuff like the issues;

Job creation, Median household income has hit highest level ever recorded, African-American unemployment has recently achieved the lowest rate ever recorded. Hispanic-American unemployment is at the lowest rate ever recorded. Asian-American unemployment recently achieved the lowest rate ever recorded. Women’s unemployment recently reached the lowest rate in 65 years. lowest unemployment rates in 50 yrs....

And his opponents will be left drooling because all they have is Trump's a racist....

It may depend who is hosting the debate. He might refuse CNN or MSNBC, just like the Democrat might refuse FOX.

~ If he does I hope they sell tickets and give the proceeds to charity .💰´

Of course he'll attend. It's not even a question.

Come now...you're way downplaying that event. It would've been a full on stage of people being extremely douchey to him. They don't make jokes out of good nature with anyone but Democrats. It just vicious vitriol. There was literally no reason for him to go to it...not to mention it's full of a bunch of self-inflated press people peacocking around like they are important or something when instead they are mostly trash people.

The best debate would be a Trump/Warren tug of war. Everyone in America would be tuned in.
All the sports books would have odds on how many time will he call her Pocahontas in the first debate.
Honestly, I don't think Warren would show up for the second debate.

A good VP debate would be Pence vs. Mayor pete

Absolutely not. For three reasons.

1. As a narcissist, tRump needs to be the center of attention. Go watch his behavior during George H.W. Bush's funeral to see what happens if he isn't. He looked like a toddler that needed a potty break.

2. Despite all the bickering between the Democrats, the one thing they agree on 100% is that tRump has to go. As azgreg recently said, he IS our unifying candidate.

3. Also as a narcissist, he is all-give-and-no-take. Being there would force him to get piled on not just by the candidates but by the audience themselves. Put that fool in front of an audience that was even partly Democratic and every one of them would pile on him with as much time as they could get. His ego would be hurt so badly that he might throw his biggest public tantrum ever. :lol:

I definitely think he will keep it to one debate, then make every effort to blow it up, blame Dems or the Fake news network or the 'unfair rules' then blow it off. Just like his meetings with Pelosi. We will not end up with more than one ever happening , and I personally think that one debate won't actually happen. He will sabotage these. Frankly, I believe he hoped that when he brought Bill Clintons accusers to their debate, Hillary would refuse to go on stage.

I say he'll attend one. Do bad, and then chicken out like the loser he is.

Or he could beat them on the important stuff like the issues;

Job creation, Median household income has hit highest level ever recorded, African-American unemployment has recently achieved the lowest rate ever recorded. Hispanic-American unemployment is at the lowest rate ever recorded. Asian-American unemployment recently achieved the lowest rate ever recorded. Women’s unemployment recently reached the lowest rate in 65 years. lowest unemployment rates in 50 yrs....

And his opponents will be left drooling because all they have is Trump's a racist....

He is a racist. A lot of it will depend on whether he is still riding one of the longest economic expansions in US history or whether his idiocy has ruined it by then.

Trump doesn't have the intellect to engage in debate. His sole strategem, if you can call it that, amounts to insult, bragging about himself and immature name-calling. That won't work with a moderator to keep his mouth shut and on topic. I doubt very much that he enjoys being out of his depth, so I suggest he'll bail and call the debates rigged, just like he called the election process rigged while electioneering. Until he won. Not a peep about irregularity since...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom