• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pre-Big Bang

watsup

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
In another thread, Sherlock states that “I'm quite convinced though that a scientific explanation for the presence of the universe is a logical impossibility, science, mathematical laws, matter, energy can't really take part in an explanation for themselves, this is blindingly obvious - to me.”

Except that what is blindingly obvious to Sherlock is not so to physicists who study and research the matter. As such, here are various readings that give some SCIENTIFIC theories as to the pre-Bang state at that time.

What happened before the Big Bang: What Happened Before the Big Bang? | Live Science

What happened before the Big Bang? | Space

What Came Before the Big Bang? | Discover Magazine

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-came-before-the-big-bang/

What happened before the Big Bang? | Space | EarthSky

Yes, a LOT of scientists disagree with Sherlock.

In another thread, Sherlock states that “I'm quite convinced though that a scientific explanation for the presence of the universe is a logical impossibility, science, mathematical laws, matter, energy can't really take part in an explanation for themselves, this is blindingly obvious - to me.”

Except that what is blindingly obvious to Sherlock is not so to physicists who study and research the matter. As such, here are various readings that give some SCIENTIFIC theories as to the pre-Bang state at that time.

What happened before the Big Bang: What Happened Before the Big Bang? | Live Science

What Came before the Big Bang? - Scientific American

Who is Sherlock and why are you talking about him in this thread?

what was before the Big Bang, it would appear as nothing in the OBSERVABLE UNIVERSE but God isnt there

Physicists will always ponder.

You have a great sense of humor and irony!
Well, by principle of elimination, someone has to take the title, and he has a background in cosmological physics and computation. Objectively speaking, he is up there.

Well, by principle of elimination, someone has to take the title, and he has a background in cosmological physics and computation. Objectively speaking, he is up there.

Actually, numerous atheists have now shown him to be primarily a blowhard. And we don’t really know his background, do we, only what he claims it to be. In the end, his arguments have no more merit than those of a second grader in catechism class.

i have trouble letting go of the idea that since galaxies seem to be circling the drain around supermassive black holes, a massive contraction of a previous universe preceded the big bang. however, i understand that there's probably an entropy problem there and that my astrophysics background is sorely lacking.

did a quick search, and it looks like this possibly wrong theory has a name.

Big Crunch - Wikipedia

Well, it is clear that many who make such statements are driven by confirmation bias, and ultimately, the argument as presented is that of ignorance, that is, 'we don't know, therefore god', and as I have repeatedly stated, this is an assumption based upon a necessary a leap of logic (that ism necessary to arrive at such a conclusion). The classical philosophical arguments are flawed and any student of philosophy should know why they are flawed (special pleading, assumptions, the use of non-sequiturs etc.), therefore any conclusions drawn from inference are equally as flawed.

To assume that there cannot be a natural process behind the formation of the universe (as this individual has stated) is nothing more than ignoring a reasonable possibility over that which lacks reason and is borne of a man made construct, and once we get into that territory further debate tends to become circular in nature.

Moreover, there seems to be a trend to discredit the scientific method in order to further said conclusion, which is of course, merely an attempt to avoid the real issues, that is, the problems with said conclusion.

Last edited:
Who is Sherlock and why are you talking about him in this thread?

Sherlock is the greatest intellectual of our age and is infallible and considers all atheists to be 'utterly stupid'. We are not worthy!

ps. The universe is made of thoughts. Who would have thought it!

In a debate forum such as this, those with true intelligence are able to show it in the in-depth clarity of their inputs. The need to constantly claim how much intellect oneself has is always suspect and is actually a known defect of honest debate.

What was before the Big Bang?
Wednesday!
And I can prove it!

Linear regressions may not hold true for something as non-linear as time.

Such questions are meaningless since our space/time has only been in existence since the bang, there was no time for a before to happen in "before" it.

Such questions are meaningless since our space/time has only been in existence since the bang, there was no time for a before to happen in "before" it.
Is there actually proof for this?

Pre-Big Bang

According to Lady Bum....thats just really great foreplay. :coffeepap

Back
Top Bottom