• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Prayer Coming Back to Public Schools? SCOTUS Hears Case That Would Do Just That

Spunkylama

Requested Profile Delete. Bye
Banned
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

A high-profile case before the Supreme Court ended Monday with justices appearing to side with a Washington state football coach who was punished for kneeling in prayer at the 50-yard line after games.

Former Bremerton High School assistant coach Joe Kennedy was fired because he would not abandon his post-game prayer. Kennedy then launched a six-year fight that reached the nation’s highest court on Monday.

“I fought and defended the Constitution, and the thought of leaving the field of battle where the guys just played and having to go and hide my faith because it was uncomfortable to somebody — that’s just not America,” the Marine veteran said, according to NPR.

On Monday, attorneys for the two sides argued their case before the court, with appointments to the court made by former President Donald Trump appearing to have a major influence on how the court might rule. Trump appointed Justices Neal Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh, and Amy Coney Barrett to the court, giving conservatives a majority.

When the dust settled Monday, The New York Times summarized the arguments by writing that “Members of the court’s conservative majority indicated that the coach, Joseph A. Kennedy, had a constitutional right to kneel and pray at the 50-yard line after games.”
snip

A high-profile case before the Supreme Court ended Monday with justices appearing to side with a Washington state football coach who was punished for kneeling in prayer at the 50-yard line after games.

Former Bremerton High School assistant coach Joe Kennedy was fired because he would not abandon his post-game prayer. Kennedy then launched a six-year fight that reached the nation’s highest court on Monday.

“I fought and defended the Constitution, and the thought of leaving the field of battle where the guys just played and having to go and hide my faith because it was uncomfortable to somebody — that’s just not America,” the Marine veteran said, according to NPR.

On Monday, attorneys for the two sides argued their case before the court, with appointments to the court made by former President Donald Trump appearing to have a major influence on how the court might rule. Trump appointed Justices Neal Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh, and Amy Coney Barrett to the court, giving conservatives a majority.

When the dust settled Monday, The New York Times summarized the arguments by writing that “Members of the court’s conservative majority indicated that the coach, Joseph A. Kennedy, had a constitutional right to kneel and pray at the 50-yard line after games.”
snip
Oh, the line is where he asked the players to join in. That, and the fact his actions caused a huge commotion on the field, which got him fired.

Oh, the line is where he asked the players to join in. That, and the fact his actions caused a huge commotion on the field, which got him fired.
I’ve never read anywhere that he asked the players to join. They did so of their own free will. If you have a link that states he asked players to join, I’d like to see that.

I’ve never read anywhere that he asked the players to join. They did so of their own free will. If you have a link that states he asked players to join, I’d like to see that.
Have you ever heard the term 'peer pressure'? BY asking to join , which he did

From https://wtop.com/supreme-court/2022...ng-on-the-field-brings-case-to-supreme-court/

It began with the coach, alone, briefly thanking God after the final whistle for keeping the players safe, for fair play and for spirited competition. But soon enough, the number of players gathering alongside Kennedy after games grew to include a majority of the team, though participation varied. At least one parent said his son felt “compelled to participate” out of fear he would lose out on playing time.

And soon enough, the prayers by Kennedy, himself a graduate of Bremerton High School, evolved into motivational speeches with religious references.

For seven years, Kennedy continued his practice of praying on the field with no issues. But in September 2015, the Bremerton School District learned what he was doing when an opposing team’s coach told Bremerton High School’s principal that Kennedy asked his players to join him for the post-game prayer, saying he “thought it was pretty cool” the district would allow such activity, according to court records.

THe fact that one parent said his son felt compelled to participate, and the asking of the opposing team to join in makes it cross the line.

As I said in another thread on this, it doesn't get me real worked up. But that said,
This coach seems a little dramatic.

A new minister went to visit my aunt once and as they stood talking, he suddenly dropped to his knees to pray, knocking over the ironing board and breaking the dial on her iron. You had to know my aunt, but to hear her telling it afterward, swearing up a storm, was hilarious.

That's who I thought of when I read the story.

I'll bring one of my favorite Religions to school. I'll see how that goes over. >
The Aetherius Society Religion. (spreading the teachings of Aetherius and other advanced Alien Beings known as the Cosmic Masters.)
The service is perfect for a football field.
RELIGION.jpg

Yea, I’m aware of the term, but that’s not what you said. You said he asked players to join him, which is false.
You cut out this part.

For seven years, Kennedy continued his practice of praying on the field with no issues. But in September 2015, the Bremerton School District learned what he was doing when an opposing team’s coach told Bremerton High School’s principal that Kennedy asked his players to join him for the post-game prayer, saying he “thought it was pretty cool” the district would allow such activity, according to court records

You cut out this part.
If that’s the only account of him supposedly asking players to join him in the 7 years he was saying a prayer after the game, it’s not very credible. Any student testimony claiming he asked them to join him?

If that’s the only account of him supposedly asking players to join him in the 7 years he was saying a prayer after the game, it’s not very credible. Any student testimony claiming he asked them to join him?
All it needs is 1 time... and it crosses the line. There were also other incidences.

Moon, I'm sure it was a friendly gesture, not meant to pressure them. The lower courts determine the facts, not the SC.

That's the thing about fake American Christianity. It doesn't work unless you have big public displays of your faith while you force or coerce the people you have power over to join you.

Simply being Christian and having a relationship with god is not enough for these people.

Wonders how the conseravtives on the SC would feel if the coach in question was a lifelong satanist and went to 50 yard line after games to light a candle and thank Satan for the win?

All it needs is 1 time... and it crosses the line. There were also other incidences.
Strange how that wasn’t the central issue in the case as it worked it’s way through the courts, so either the claim was found to be not credible or irrelevant.

Wonders how the conseravtives on the SC would feel if the coach in question was a lifelong satanist and went to 50 yard line after games to light a candle and thank Satan for the win?
If they’re really conservatives, they’d rule the same way as they would in the current case.

Moon, I'm sure it was a friendly gesture, not meant to pressure them. The lower courts determine the facts, not the SC.
True, assuming it happened.

Indeed. Look at how long school mandated prayers were practiced before someone challenged it and the court decided it was unconstitutional. No school led prayer has been established legal precedent for decades now.

I actually have no issue with the coach praying at the game, even though I know he isn't supposed to. As long as my kids aren't forced to join, it's fine by me. Just don't bring it to the classroom.

I actually have no issue with the coach praying at the game, even though I know he isn't supposed to. As long as my kids aren't forced to join, it's fine by me. Just don't bring it to the classroom.
Yup. It's no skin off my nose. My gram always said, it takes all kinds to make this world.

snip
Field of battle? What a self-important pos.

Indeed. Look at how long school mandated prayers were practiced before someone challenged it and the court decided it was unconstitutional. No school led prayer has been established legal precedent for decades now.
Did anyone else think of the fact that no school board member went to a JV football game for 7 years? That's what I call supporting your school! [Not]

Did anyone else think of the fact that no school board member went to a JV football game for 7 years? That's what I call supporting your school! [Not]
Do I detect a hint of sarcasm there? 😉

If they’re really conservatives, they’d rule the same way as they would in the current case.
You would like to think so but for some of the far right religious judges, like Barrett, I doubt that would happen.
My real point is if the SC allows this for this christian coach in public high schools, or colleges and universities for that matter, then it opens the door for those of any religious beliefs to do the same.
How about a Muslim call to prayer at the 50 yard line?
Or a Voodoo chicken sacrifice at the 50 yard line?

in metrolina, it is a common circumstance to see the Christian kids from both teams circle up mid field at the conclusion of the football game
generally, it is a minority number of players, and their prayer circle is self directed
have seen that happen less frequently on the basketball court, but it is not rare
have yet to see that on a fastpitch field
but i did experience something odd last week. for pregame, a Christian hymn was played immediately prior to the national anthem
predominantly black host school. a very green new coach. my suspicion is that was an error due to ignorance
to me, those above events - excepting the last one - were Constitutionally consistent
look forward to seeing what the supremes have to say about the coach-led prayer

snip
it would be interesting to allow prayer back in school.....with a Christian prayer and Muslim prayer and a Jewish prayer and a Hindu prayer and Budhist prayer and Joe Shit the Ragman prayer.......an on and on and the kids could just spend their whole day praying......or bitching about how their rights were violated because the 'other' guys got to pray too

Back
Top Bottom