• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Practice what you preach!

Jerry

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
1.jpg

Ok so I have a 'friend' who works in construction and his foreman regularly told the 2 guys on the crew who do not have CDLs to drive CDL trucks on public roads. My friend is in the service and has plenty of experience driving large trucks in various conditions, and the service quite frequently looks the other way when a solder doesn't have the exact right paperwork to operate something, so this felt very normal for him to do.

On that same day, my friend heard that his truck had to go back to the yard. Feeling that he had a sort of implied consent to do this, my friend may have driven his apportioned vehicle with air-brakes 30-40 miles back to the yard, even though, again, he doesn't have a CDL.

The next day the Super caught wind of this and chewed my friend's ass for operating without a CDL. Turns out 'willful disregard' carries a jail sentence and stiff fines even if everything else about the truck and the load are fine. The Super could have fired my friend on the spot, maybe even called the cops and reported him, but the Super likes to take care of business in-house.

Backing up a step, the Super chews my friend's ass for operating without a CDL, and not even an hour later the Super is bragging to the crew about how he's never had a motorcycle license in his life while he rides a Harley to work.

To top it off, later that day, after said but-chewing, the original foreman tells my friend to once again operate that same truck on public roads without a CDL. My friend climbs in the truck and is ready to go when the Super pulls up to the sight, sees my friend in the truck about to merge onto the highway, and the Super's head pops right off his shoulders. :lol: I don't know how my friend still has a job but he sure is thankful.

What do ya think about that?

Last edited:
If you don't have a CDL and are caught driving a truck you may as well pack your bags, you're going to jail.
Understood.

The root problem, from a production standpoint, is that the company doesn't pay CDL drivers what their worth and so has a hard time getting them and keeping them. Also the company doesn't lift a finger to help employees get a CDL.

But 95% of all the company trucks require a CDL to operate.

I'm not trying to excuse what happened or the bad decisions made, I'm only offering background for context.

If hypocrisy precluded people from being managers, there'd be a lot fewer managers. :lol: Still, it's work and what the Super does in his own time is pretty much irrelevant. At work, he needs to keep the good of the company in mind, especially when it comes to issues of potential liability. Driving a motorcycle without a license, if he's caught, only affects him but, if something happened while your friend was driving the truck, the company would be on the hook. At work it's do as they say, not as they do.

If hypocrisy precluded people from being managers, there'd be a lot fewer managers. :lol: Still, it's work and what the Super does in his own time is pretty much irrelevant. At work, he needs to keep the good of the company in mind, especially when it comes to issues of potential liability. Driving a motorcycle without a license, if he's caught, only affects him but, if something happened while your friend was driving the truck, the company would be on the hook. At work it's do as they say, not as they do.
I've recently learned that moving violations while operating your personal vehicle does affect your CDL as well.

http://dor.mo.gov/drivers/commercial/cmv.php

Back
Top Bottom