• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

PPACA's impact on middle and lower class families (according to Clinton)

What should happen first, fix glitches to help middle/lower class, or screw 'em?

• Enact PPACA even if it harms middle/lower classes the way Clinton describes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Neomalthusian

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
The worst problem in the Affordable Care Act, Clinton said, is a provision related to healthcare coverage for families. In some cases, one family member might be able to affordably insure himself or herself through an employer, but not the rest of the family. And the rest of the family could not receive tax subsidies to buy coverage through the healthcare law's exchanges.

"It's obviously not fair, and it's bad policy," Clinton said.

He said he believes the provision was a drafting error. LINK

Clinton also pointed to what is probably the most pressing problem in the law’s design. Obamacare was designed to provide Medicaid coverage, through a large national expansion, to all Americans earning up to 138% of the federal poverty level (FDL). Those earning above that level but below 400% of FDL will be eligible for federal subsidies to buy private coverage. But the Supreme Court’s 2012 ruling that the Medicaid expansion must be optional for states has left legions of the working poor with no way to afford insurance. LINK

So what would you advocate?

Option 1: Implement the law ASAP even if it harms middle and lower class families the way Bill Clinton describes.

Option 2: Put implementation on hold until the glitches are fixed so that middle and lower class families are not harmed.

Which option would you choose?

So what would you advocate?

Option 1: Implement the law ASAP even if it harms middle and lower class families the way Bill Clinton describes.

Option 2: Put implementation on hold until the glitches are fixed so that middle and lower class families are not harmed.

Which option would you choose?

Implement the law and fix it as we go along.

You folks have got to get it out of your head that Obamacare is going any direction but forward. Really.

You folks have got to get it out of your head that Obamacare is going any direction but forward. Really.

The OP is not about predicting "where Obamacare is going," it's asking people if they care about the actual impact the law's glitches have on middle and lower class families or if they just care about scoring political victory.

Sorry Maggie, a goodly number of the American public, myself included, are not just going to roll over and take it. We'll continue to put pressure on our elected representatives to scrap this nightmare and present a real solution. For the moment what I'd like to see is the end to every single exemption that has been granted. I believe that would achieve what I want most riki tik.

The OP is not about predicting "where Obamacare is going," it's asking people if they care about the actual impact the law's glitches have on middle and lower class families or if they just care about scoring political victory.

And that's the question libs aren't going to answer on the grounds that they might incriminate themselves.... or at least admit the truth, which is also something they like to avoid.

Fight it day and night. Challenge it, beat it!

Still a partisan way to go about denigrating Obamacare. That's like asking "Would you let a death panel kill your mother, just so you can have prenatal insurance coverage?"

They already have the victory. They got it when Obamacare was passed into law.

And that's the question libs aren't going to answer on the grounds that they might incriminate themselves.... or at least admit the truth, which
is also something they like to avoid.

Still a partisan way to go about denigrating Obamacare. That's like asking "Would you let a death panel kill your mother, just so you can have prenatal insurance coverage?"

No, it's not like asking that. It's asking if you think the law should go into effect before resolving problems that harm the middle and lower classes, or after. That's not a false dichotomy like the one you made up.

They already have the victory. They got it when Obamacare was passed into law.

Then why wouldn't they advocate delaying implementation pending correction of harmful and unfair glitches that leaders in their own party point out to them?

You biased your question in a partisan matter to get the answer you want. :shrug:

A) Be okay harming the middle class
B) Repeal Obamacare

Both answers are biased toward your partisan opinion.
No, it's not like asking that. It's asking if you think the law should go into effect before resolving problems that harm the middle and lower classes, or after. That's not a false dichotomy like the one you made up.

Show me where in the proposed amendment where the House is addressing this issue precisely.

Then why wouldn't they advocate delaying implementation pending correction of harmful and unfair glitches that leaders in their own party point out to them?

You biased your question in a partisan matter to get the answer you want. :shrug:

A) Be okay harming the middle class
B) Repeal Obamacare

If that's how you interpret Option #2, it's going to be a difficult process explaining to you what you're reading.

Both answers are biased toward your partisan opinion.

Opposing bad policy does not make me partisan.

Show me where in the proposed amendment where the House is addressing this issue precisely.

I didn't say anything about the House of Representatives. What sort of random request is this?

Sorry Maggie, a goodly number of the American public, myself included, are not just going to roll over and take it. We'll continue to put pressure on our elected representatives to scrap this nightmare and present a real solution. For the moment what I'd like to see is the end to every single exemption that has been granted. I believe that would achieve what I want most riki tik.

I'll echo that! I've heard of nothing in the law as passed that gives the president the authority to grant the waivers he has handed out to his friends. The word today is that the ObamaCare websites are staggering under the traffic, and the most common question asked is "How do I get a waiver?"

If that's how you interpret Option #2, it's going to be a difficult process explaining to you what you're reading.

Opposing bad policy does not make me partisan.

I didn't say anything about the House of Representatives. What sort of random request is this?

Taking the question for face value, I would need to be shown the Amendments that are being proposed with regards to the delaying of certain parts of Obamacare. I have looked into it and it doesn't seem like your example in the OP is what the amendments are addressing.

To answer your question, implement and amend as necessary.

Taking the question for face value, I would need to be shown the Amendments that are being proposed

I'm not asking anything about amendments being proposed. I'm asking in the opinion of forum members if they would rather implement the law and allow its glitches to impact lower and middle class families the way Clinton describes, or fix the glitches before implementing the law.

To answer your question, implement and amend as necessary.

Option one then? Okay, thanks for answering.

In the OP, you cited Clintons opinion of the ACA, or at least parts of it. My question is whether or not the amendments the House is trying to add address the issues brought up by Clinton. From what I have read, they don't. So, if I could buy into the premise that the law would actually get fixed the way it needs to or not (which I don't), then I would be more apt to go with option B.

It's a loaded question and pretending that is isn't, is just a joke.

I'm not asking anything about amendments being proposed. I'm asking in the opinion of forum members if they would rather implement the law and allow its glitches to impact lower and middle class families the way Clinton describes, or fix the glitches before implementing the law.

Option one then? Okay, thanks for answering.

You don't discover a hole in your boat, and then heave off and "hope for the best."

Back
Top Bottom