• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Power from Yellowstone

Tim the plumber

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Reread the article it would USE 20 gigawatts of energy to cool the magma

Yes, I am not worried about that, I think the thing will blow with or without our intervention at its' own time.

The thing is from 20 GW of heat you can extract about 7 GW of electricity. Just how the turbine works and thermodynamics.

I think we, well you Americans, should extract loads more than 20G of heat.

Yes, I am not worried about that, I think the thing will blow with or without our intervention at its' own time.

The thing is from 20 GW of heat you can extract about 7 GW of electricity. Just how the turbine works and thermodynamics.

I think we, well you Americans, should extract loads more than 20G of heat.

Again theres not 20GW of energy beneath yellowstone, the article is talking about using 20gw of external energy to cool yellowstone so that it cant cause a devastating eruption

Again theres not 20GW of energy beneath yellowstone, the article is talking about using 20gw of external energy to cool yellowstone so that it cant cause a devastating eruption

If you put water down which absorbes 20GW of heat then bring it up to the surface to cool it, it carries that heat with it.

If you use a steam power plant, like a coal fired one but using this geothermal heat rather than the coal, you will get around 34% efficency out of the process.

If it is such a great idea why was it not done before now?
I suspect that there is not that kind of demand near Yellowstone, and long distance power connections are relatively new.
With the HVDC grid, the power could be moved further, but I think it would have to go like 500 miles before you started getting
to any large population areas.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1075920/yellowstone-volcano-eruption-nasa-plan-save-world-spt

They are talking about getting 20 Giggawatts of heat energy out and it costing $2.7 Billion.

I make it that should pay for its' self in less than a year with about 7GW of useful electrical power coming out of it and a bit of an over run with the build cost.

For pitty sake do it.

Destroy the environment for the sake of modern growth of civilization? I doubt the entire mob of wild-eyed greenie-weenie lefties will go along with that.

I suspect that there is not that kind of demand near Yellowstone, and long distance power connections are relatively new.
With the HVDC grid, the power could be moved further, but I think it would have to go like 500 miles before you started getting

You are almost certainly right, and I am still not a great fan of long distance power, it works about as well as long distance love.

You are almost certainly right, and I am still not a great fan of long distance power, it works about as well as long distance love.
I was thinking there may be a way to move massive amounts of energy over vast distances,
but just not as electricity. Storing the energy as man made natural natural gas, and moving it through the gas pipeline system.
Used as a heating fuel, would cut the conversion losses. It would allow nuclear power that is off in remote locations.
This type of technology will not be viable until the supply of natural gas increases as supply decreases.

Not expensive or involving any huge loss of power though.

It may be vaguely new but there does not seem to be any excuse.

Anyone think they will allow such a project on federally protected land?

Anyone think they will allow such a project on federally protected land?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Lagoon_(geothermal_spa)

The Blue Lagoon (Icelandic: Bláa lónið) is a geothermal spa in southwestern Iceland. The spa is located in a lava field near Grindavík on the Reykjanes Peninsula, in a location favourable for geothermal power, and is supplied by water used in the nearby Svartsengi geothermal power station. The Blue Lagoon is approximately 20 km (12 mi) from Keflavík International Airport, and is one of the most visited attractions in Iceland.

In my stupidity I would hope that the building of a beautiful year round warm lake which caused the threat of a massive, many tens of millions of dad, disaster would get through.

Just wishing like...

Great point! That area of the country also has about 320 Sun-Days per year. Why not just focus on rooftop and pedestal-mounted solar PVs, which is a point-of-source producer, resulting in NEAR-ZERO voltage loss for electricity. For heating, focus on passive solar concepts with thermal mass storage, which can provide over 90% of residential heating demand.

Whilst I don't see the threat of the volcanoe being all that great it might just be there. It has gone off in the past.

The massive benefit of using geothermal power in this way, the way Iceland does it, seems to me to be utterly obvious. Just do it.

Great point! That area of the country also has about 320 Sun-Days per year. Why not just focus on rooftop and pedestal-mounted solar PVs, which is a point-of-source producer, resulting in NEAR-ZERO voltage loss for electricity. For heating, focus on passive solar concepts with thermal mass storage, which can provide over 90% of residential heating demand.

If the losses from transmission are of the order of 5% but the cost saving and reliability benefits is of the order of 80% why would you not want to do it in the best way?

I do not disagree, but we have to foster an environment where grid tied solar can survive.

Yellowstone volcano: NASA’s PS2.7billion 'plan to save world' REVEALED | Science | News | Express.co.uk

They are talking about getting 20 Giggawatts of heat energy out and it costing $2.7 Billion.

I make it that should pay for its' self in less than a year with about 7GW of useful electrical power coming out of it and a bit of an over run with the build cost.

For pitty sake do it.

First step: visit Iceland where they are already using geothermal energy to produce electricity. They have faced many dificulties and have overcome them.

First step: visit Iceland where they are already using geothermal energy to produce electricity. They have faced many dificulties and have overcome them.
Not even worth it, It is unlikely that Congress would vote to place a power plant in a National Park.
But like if you want to know how to build a good seawall, you speak to Dutch, learning from Iceland about geothermal
would be a good idea. (There are plenty of places in the US that have geothermal, resources, but are not National parks.)

Back
Top Bottom