• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Powell Resigns

KD5DBL

Reaction score
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Secretary of State Colin Powell has resigned and the White House is expected to make the announcement on Monday, U.S. officials said.

"The Secretary announced to his staff this morning that he had submitted his resignation on Friday. He said he was staying on until a successor is confirmed and on board," a State Department official, who asked not to be named, said.

An administration official also said Powell had said he would stay on "until such a time as a replacement is named."

Powell, becomes the latest high-level member of President Bush's cabinet to announce plans to leave following the election.

Powell was often seen representing more moderate views on foreign policy in the Bush administration.
Kinda shocking if you ask me...

Source: Yahoo news

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - [size=-1] U.S. Education Secretary Rod Paige will announce his resignation on Monday in the latest in a series of post-election changes in President Bush (news - web sites)'s Cabinet, a senior administration official said. [/size]

[size=-1]Paige, 71, the first African-American education secretary, was among four members of Bush's Cabinet whose resignations were to be announced on Monday, including Secretary of State Colin Powell (news - web sites), Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham (news - web sites) and Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman.

Yeow, so did Paige.

I can hear the conspirists winding up a rebutal. Powell leaving due to "Iraq" and Paige another black man out.
[/size]

The only thing I find surprising about Mr. Powell's departure is that anyone would be surprised. It's been widely speculated by political pundits and bloggers now for months. Many thought he would be the first to "jump ship." Powell, a moderate, has had many disagreements with Bush and his admin. over the past four years. Bush, it appears, has made little effort to maintain a working relationship with Mr. Powell.

Last edited:
Your right, it wasn't suprising, but all of this happened at once. I expected it to drag out a bit longer.

Looks like Rice will take over Powell's spot. Not unexpected either.. I like this lady.
Think she will run in 2008?

[size=-1] Rice, one of Bush's closest confidants who has generally sided with hard-liners in the administration, will be nominated to replace him and the announcement could come as early as Tuesday, senior administration officials said.
[/size]

I honestly don't know that much about Ms. Rice. I wasn't very impressed with her testimony at the 9/11 commission. At one point she stated the Aug 6th PDB didn't mention "nothing about the threat of attack in the U.S." But after being asked, several times, the title of the PDB- She finally acknowledged "the title [of the PDB] was, 'Bin Laden Determined to Attack Inside the United States.'" Not sure she's was even attempting to be honest.

It's also my understanding that she was very resistant to tesifying before the commission at all. Given the magnitude of the attacks we endured I find it hard to believe any reasonable person would not want to assist the commision. Given her position I could have understood should she request that her testimony be sealed. But could not see any logically reason to resist altogether. Of course this could have been more Bush then her as he was completely against even the formation of the commision. So it's hard to know if that was her position or the "party line" so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom