• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Poverty program in CA excludes whites

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Poverty Program Excludes White Families; Minority Families Get $500/Month in Oakland | Facts Matter

Universal income program excludes whites. Sent to me by an old friend in TX as an example of race-sensitivity run amok. I have no idea of his politics but I would think he is very conservative. Funny that we have been close friends since the 70s.

A lot of righties used to be decent people before they got sucked into right-wing propaganda. Now they're just hate-filled hacks.

We had the white victim thread here.

It's a privately funded program.

They can spend their money however they wish.

The optics of excluding whites is terrible. How can this 'private funding' source rationalize this inequality? This is one of the most awful things I've ever read. It's in my mind now, just below Nazi concentration camps to give you an idea of the horror I feel for the poor whites in Oakland.

The optics of excluding whites is terrible. How can this 'private funding' source rationalize this inequality? This is one of the most awful things I've ever read. It's in my mind now, just below Nazi concentration camps to give you an idea of the horror I feel for the poor whites in Oakland.

Doesn't matter. They are free to give their money to whoever they want for what ever reason that they want. If this was public funding then there would be huge problem... but historically white people have come out on the better end of the stick when it comes to getting public funding.

Well they are not the government. Private charities are free to set up their own rules of who can benefit and who can't. It's possible it break some equality law, but then people need to take them to Court.

Someone wanted to make sure the money got to the neediest people in the Oakland minority community.

Well done.

Someone wanted to make sure the money got to the neediest people in the Oakland minority community.

Well done.

It doesn't make a good first impression. I have no doubt some, the majority being conservatives, will make hay over this just as they have over a privately owned media company choosing who can use their platform or not. Another factor mentioned in the article is that targeted grants have a historical relevance, some form of basic income is a legacy of the Black Panther Party, which was founded in Oakland.

"...White households in the city earn on average roughly three times as much per year as Black households, according to the Oakland Equity Index..."

"...Non-targeted support is available for all families via a variety of channels including several nonprofit organizations that work in the city..."

Back
Top Bottom