• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Potential SCOTUS nominee: Cadace Jackson-Akiwumi. What are your thoughts about her?

BrotherFease

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Last time I did Eunice Lee. Click here to learn more about her and put your 3 cents in. Today we're going to look at Cadace Jackson-Akiwumi, a potential Supreme Court pick to replace Stephen Breyer.

- Born in Norfolk, Virginia. Currently 43 years old.
- Her father, Raymond Alvin Jackson, was a Judge for the U.S District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. Bill Clinton appointed him to the position back in 1993. He served there until 2021.
- Her mother, Gwendolyn Jackson, was a judge for the 4th Judicial District of Virginia.
- She graduated with honors from Princeton University for her bachelor's degree in 2000.
- Senior Editor for the Yale Law Journal.
- Graduated from Yale Law School in 2005.
- Clerked for David H. Coar of the U.S District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, and Roger Gregory of the U.S Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit.
- Between 2007 to 2010 was a litigation associate for Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP and Affiliates in Chicago.
- For the next 10 years, she was a staff attorney at the federal defender program in the Northern District of Illinois.
- In 2020, Biden nominated her to the U.S Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit. Held this position since July 1st of 2020.

First one is Dick Durbin explaining why she belongs on the court. The second one is Alex Padilla questioning Jackson-Akiwumi. Stop at the 4:35 point.

Well she's black and she's female so she's got two things going in her favor.

Well she's black and she's female so she's got two things in her favor.
What else do you have to say about her? You know, in terms of qualification and judgment. Biden is picking a black woman for the position. I am going through all the major potential Supreme Court picks. It would be great if you talked about her as a candidate.

What else do you have to say about her? You know, in terms of qualification and judgment. Biden is picking a black woman for the position. I am going through all the major potential Supreme Court picks. It would be great if you talked about her as a candidate.

What's more important - qualifications or race and gender? You tell me why Biden specified beforehand his pick would be a black female.

What's more important - qualifications or race and gender? You tell me why Biden specified beforehand his pick would be a black female.
Do we really have to go over this again? It’s not a binary option. You can be a black woman and have the best credentials.

This may come as a shock to some, but qualified/black/female can actually apply to one person. This is not a conversation that is ever had when the nominee is unqualified/white/male.

Can we please talk about the CJA and not about Biden’s decision to pick a black woman.

Do we really have to go over this again? It’s not a binary option. You can be a black woman and have the best credentials.

And you could be a white male and have the best credentials too. But white and male got you disqualified.

I sure hope nobody makes up a story about something she did when she was a teenager!

You have the dates wrong. She was nominated and confirmed in 2021.

Five years to get a law degree. I wonder what the story is there. Maybe those dates are wrong as well.

Nice credentials but not in the top group and she's very new to the bench.

I think many conservatives might possibly define, "best" credentials as possessing the most prestigious degrees from and highest number of Ivy league schools...

Last time I did Eunice Lee. Click here to learn more about her and put your 3 cents in. Today we're going to look at Cadace Jackson-Akiwumi, a potential Supreme Court pick to replace Stephen Breyer.

- Her father, Raymond Alvin Jackson, was a Judge for the U.S District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. Bill Clinton appointed him to the position back in 1993. He served there until 2021.
- Her mother, Gwendolyn Jackson, was a judge for the 4th Judicial District of Virginia.
- She graduated with honors from Princeton University for her bachelor's degree in 2000.
- Clerked for David H. Coar of the U.S District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, and Roger Gregory of the U.S Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit.
- Between 2007 to 2010 was a litigation associate for Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP and Affiliates in Chicago.
- For the next 10 years, she was a staff attorney at the federal defender program in the Northern District of Illinois.
- In 2020, Biden nominated her to the U.S Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit. Held this position since July 1st of 2020.

First one is Dick Durbin explaining why she belongs on the court. The second one is Alex Padilla questioning Jackson-Akiwumi. Stop at the 4:35 point.

Not the robust answer you are looking for, but....... I like the fact that she is 43. And it's somewhat of a disgrace that I'm even saying that. But, the Republicans are putting younger people on the SCOTUS, the Democrats need to offset that.

Additionally I spent 10 minutes or so Googling her name followed by controversy, dirt, criticism, scandal, etc. and I found nothing. She seems to be very clean and non-controversial. You've provided her education credentials which are excellent. One deficiency is the lack of time on the bench - only two years.

Well she's black and she's female so she's got two things going in her favor.

Well, she's also got Princeton and Yale, but let's not let that get in the way of your blind hatred.

Well, it's a vagina of color, so it's qualified according to dimocrat standards.

You have the dates wrong. She was nominated and confirmed in 2021.

Five years to get a law degree. I wonder what the story is there. Maybe those dates are wrong as well.

Nice credentials but not in the top group and she's very new to the bench.
That is correct. A moderator needs to edit that. Ever since 2020, I have been getting the years mixed up. I blame covid.

She graduated from Princeton in 2000 and 2005 from Yale. I got it from Wikipedia.

Not the robust answer you are looking for, but....... I like the fact that she is 43. And it's somewhat of a disgrace that I'm even saying that. But, the Republicans are putting younger people on the SCOTUS, the Democrats need to offset that.

Additionally I spent 10 minutes or so Googling her name followed by controversy, dirt, criticism, scandal, etc. and I found nothing. She seems to be very clean and non-controversial. You've provided her education credentials which are excellent. One deficiency is the lack of time on the bench - only two years.
It took me about 30 minutes to write the thread. I couldn't find anything scandalous either. She looks pretty clean and very informed. I guess the big knock will be only a year's worth of judicial experience. Amy Coney Barrett had about 3 years of experience. I like the fact that Jackson-Akiwumi comes from a family of judges.

Thanks for all the efforts here, BrotherFease

--

Hmm . . . I think I like her.

1] Dad was a Clinton appointed Federal Judge
2] Princeton/Yale Law/Yale Law Review
3] Staff attorney at Federal Defender Program (Chicago)
4] U.S. Appeals Judge
5] Only 43 years old

--

Somehow, she flew under my radar. Besides the family pedigree, perfect education, and youth, I really like that her litigation experience has been predominantly in defense causes at the Federal level - and in Chicago at that! SCOTUS really needs that perspective, IMO.

--

So now, we have two well qualified candidates with great resumes, each representing critically relevant causes:

1] KBJ has a solid track record of ruling against the Trump Presidency federal excesses.

2] CJA has seemingly spent her entire life Championing defense against federal charges, and has the cultural identity to perhaps have cultural insight to the plight of African-Americans facing the criminals justice system.

--

Wow!

Tough choices!

I suspect in the bigger picture, KBJ's ideology may be the most important. But, CJA's cause is long overdue for SCOTUS representation!

Decisions! Decisions!

--

From what I've seen so far, I believe these are the two most likely candidates.

Good luck, Joe! You've got two great choices, and there's no 'loser' among them. I'm optimistic for the future of SCOTUS - with these two!

Thanks again, BrotherFease!

It took me about 30 minutes to write the thread. I couldn't find anything scandalous either. She looks pretty clean and very informed. I guess the big knock will be only a year's worth of judicial experience. Amy Coney Barrett had about 3 years of experience. I like the fact that Jackson-Akiwumi comes from a family of judges.

And let's not forget her 'causes', Brother. She's a champion of defense. SCOTUS could really use that perspective, especially given her cultural demographic.

In any other political climate, she'd be my obvious choice. But her competition, KBJ, has a bench track record of stopping Trump. However, that's not to say CJA won't do the same,

Quite honestly, if CJA indicate to Biden the same anti-Trump excesses idealogy that KBJ has ruled, I might just go with her!

There may be an upset in the making!

Back
Top Bottom