• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Potential Riot in Minnesota About to Happen - Cops Kill 20 Year Old Black Kid

AFrench2

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

Was a traffic stop and he is dead now. Was 20 years old. His body was laying on the pavement for 6 hours.

Last edited:
Apparently his body has been sitting in the street for more than 6 hours now. I doubt that is doing much to calm the crowd.

20 year olds are not kids. Do we know anything about what happened at this point?

20 year olds are not kids. Do we know anything about what happened at this point?

The basics so far from what the family and police seem to be saying.

20 year old Daunte Wright was driving a car given to him by his mother two weeks prior.

Cops apparently pull him over because of an air freshener that they claim was an issue? Maybe claiming it was obstructing his view?

Apparently at some point the cops realize he has a warrant out. He gets scared and jumps back into the car to leave.

Officer discharges his weapon at him for some reason, which seems especially dubious considering his girlfriend was also in the vehicle and could have been struck.

Wright makes it a few blocks away where he crashes the car, likely because he was dying from the gunshot wound.

The basics so far from what the family and police seem to be saying.

20 year old Daunte Wright was driving a car given to him by his mother two weeks prior.

Cops apparently pull him over because of an air freshener that they claim was an issue? Maybe claiming it was obstructing his view?

Apparently at some point the cops realize he has a warrant out. He gets scared and jumps back into the car to leave.

Officer discharges his weapon at him for some reason, which seems especially dubious considering his girlfriend was also in the vehicle and could have been struck.

Wright makes it a few blocks away where he crashes the car, likely because he was dying from the gunshot wound.

No citizen of any race can simply choose to leave police custody. What was he afraid of that justified putting his life at risk?

So far I haven’t found any mention of why Daunte was under an arrest warrant. Anyone know?

The case of Walter Scott six years ago is similarly perplexing. He’d been to jail three times for non-payment of alimony, and he faced another jail sentence when officer Slager stopped him. But in what world does it work to flee a cop on foot? Was it worth his life to avoid sitting in jail for alimony non-payment?

So far I haven’t found any mention of why Daunte was under an arrest warrant. Anyone know?

The case of Walter Scott six years ago is similarly perplexing. He’d been to jail three times for non-payment of alimony, and he faced another jail sentence when officer Slager stopped him. But in what world does it work to flee a cop on foot? Was it worth his life to avoid sitting in jail for alimony non-payment?

Was it worth Slager's next few decades to put 5 bullets into the back of a fleeing, unarmed individual over alimony payments?

No citizen of any race can simply choose to leave police custody. What was he afraid of that justified putting his life at risk?

Then approach the car and arrest him. If he flees, pursue him in your vehicle or have a warrant placed out for him. Firing at him when he posed no threat, especially with a passenger in the vehicle who also could have been harmed or killed, shows a real lack of restraint or perspective on the part of the cops.

An unarmed individual refusing to listen to the police should not be a death warrant. And if an officer can't handle that, they should find a new profession.

Just a side note:

Brooklyn Center is a northern fringe suburb of Minneapolis.
To an Angeleno it would be a bit like Castaic or San Bernardino.
To a Dallas native it would be something like Cleburne.

More like Carrollton or Plano. Cleburne is 50 miles away from Dallas. It is more Fort Worth than Dallas.

More like Carrollton or Plano. Cleburne is 50 miles away from Dallas. It is more Fort Worth than Dallas.

Oh I wouldn't dream of debating competing analogies, because you get the idea, it's all good.
I really could have said Mansfield, where the wife and I lived for ten years. ;)
I guess I was just saying that the burbs are a different world compared to Minneapolis "the city itself".
Of particular interest is the fact that a great many of the rioters who came in after the peaceful George Floyd protests weren't even residents of the neighborhood in South Minneapolis that suffered all the damage.
They drove in from these outer exurbs.

I always say that I originally grew up in the DC suburbs of Maryland, but Bethesda, Maryland is a bit different from NW DC.
The pace is different, the mood and vibe is different, the architecture is different.
The neighborhoods inside The District Line are very very old, and have a rich history, whereas most of Bethesda's residential areas consist of cookie cutter three bedroom boxes built postwar.
Kensington, Maryland is old like DC, Chevy Chase is old like DC, but Rockville, Wheaton, Hyattsville, Waldorf, Bethesda, these were all tiny dots on the map surrounded by farms when I grew up there. In fact, once you GOT PAST Rockville, it really was all farms until you hit the town of Frederick.

And a lot of these Minneapolis suburbs lack the diversity of the Minneapolis city center, they are vast stretches of ticky-tacky strip malls and fast food spots that cater to the "white flight" that spurned the city decades ago.

I hope things are calmer tonight. However, it is very important to differentiate demonstrators from looters and thugs and not lump them all together. One is a constitutional right the other absolutely is not.

Yep. Defund police causes old white woman from front office to hit the streets. How convenient

It's not like people live forever, so maybe it was worth his while to die so a white, racist cop would go to jail for twenty years. I'd definitely prefer that outcome over dying of cancer or something like Alzheimer's.

Cops sure seem to like killing black folk.

Back
Top Bottom