• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Potential Method of Alleviating Police Brutality's Effect on Inner-city Communities

catif001

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I am uncertain of existing laws that are similar to this. However, it seems appropriate that federal laws should be created to further the imposition of applicant acceptance preferences for police officers in a particular district of a municipality. How that it is to be defined seems to be problematic? Yet, having read Johnathon Kozol's book, The Shame Of The Nation, I believe that the staggeringly segregated nature of inner-city public schools may serve as an adequate reflection of the segregated nature of crime including police brutality instances. Seeing as how African-American communities, which I believe have suffered the most amount of generational(hereditary) transfer of cyclical poverty, of all the minority groups in the nation, I think that a certain amount of self-governance should be allocated in line with federal regulation. Thus, if more police officers were required to be from their residential district or more preference given, it would seem that African-American inner-city communities, in fairness, would have more power in law enforcement than they currently do and so, contention may be reduced between communities with a different racial majorities within municipalities.

Re: Potential Method of Alleviating Police Brutality's Effect on Inner-city Communiti

I am uncertain of existing laws that are similar to this. However, it seems appropriate that federal laws should be created to further the imposition of applicant acceptance preferences for police officers in a particular district of a municipality. How that it is to be defined seems to be problematic? Yet, having read Johnathon Kozol's book, The Shame Of The Nation, I believe that the staggeringly segregated nature of inner-city public schools may serve as an adequate reflection of the segregated nature of crime including police brutality instances. Seeing as how African-American communities, which I believe have suffered the most amount of generational(hereditary) transfer of cyclical poverty, of all the minority groups in the nation, I think that a certain amount of self-governance should be allocated in line with federal regulation. Thus, if more police officers were required to be from their residential district or more preference given, it would seem that African-American inner-city communities, in fairness, would have more power in law enforcement than they currently do and so, contention may be reduced between communities with a different racial majorities within municipalities.

One problem with that idea is the first thing a (sane?) person would likely do after getting a decent paying job is to move out of "the hood". It is then back to having "outsiders" (uncle Toms?) acting all uppity and busting on those that must "hustle" to make ends meet. I knew an officer that made money on the side simply parking his marked county police car in a restaurant's lot - he had his wife pick him up after work and then return him to fetch the county car after the place closed.

Re: Potential Method of Alleviating Police Brutality's Effect on Inner-city Communiti

Citing problems based on economic and cultural segregation, then suggesting that the solution is even more segregation (allowing the neighborhoods to police themselves) seems a strange way of doing things to me.

IMO the solution is eliminating the segregation which creates the cultural dissonance leading to problems within and without the Black community.

This would require:

1. Commitment of Federal funds to improve education systems within each community;
a. providing good pay for teachers vetted for both credentials and teaching skills, and
b. providing police security and wired-in surveillance to maintain a safe school environment, and
c. Truancy patrols to enforce attendance.

2. Commitment of Federal funds to Vocational and College programs;
a. Testing students to divert them to the best option
b. Counseling to help convince the candidates to seek a program they can succeed at
c. Ongoing counseling support to keep them motivated and help overcome issues preventing successful completion.

3. Incentives to businesses who are pro-active in accepting black applicants and successfully maintaining their employment.
a. Adult training vocational training programs followed by government work programs to provide work experience.
b. Incentives to employers to hire candidates who have completed the programs.
c. Sealing or Expunging criminal records for candidates who successfully complete training, work experience and maintain a job.
d. Counseling and rehabilitation programs within penal institutions, and after release to aid in preventing recidivism.

4. Programs to wean adults away from crime and social welfare programs.

5. Converting HUD programs from segregated neighborhood to integrated housing in affluent neighborhoods;
a. Building/buying single family houses and assisting in the relocation of families who have successfully completed the above listed programs and are in stable jobs.
b. Period Social worker and maintenance inspections to insure the families are integrating properly.
c. Counseling support to help with conflicts with other residents.

6. Combat the sub-culture of alienation to eliminate:
a. Thug Life ideology,
b. Entitlement mentality,
c. Victimhood assumptions,
d. Aggressive behavior.

That's how you integrate groups who feel alienated into a society; help them to want to do so.

Meanwhile, training the police to adapt to, and be slightly more sensitive to, the above issues while maintaining support for their basic authority to deal with situations would also be helpful.

Last edited:

Captain Adverse, I find your points to be thoroughly agreeable and I support any application of them. However, I would enjoy hearing more about how you would propose to train police officers to be more sensitized. My main concern in introducing this thread was the building up of racial tensions in the media and how reforms which allocate self-policing could reduce violence. There have been many radicalized organizations, such as the Republic of New Afrika, that appear to be gaining momentum on the basis of irrational fears. It appears to me, that to reduce violence, self-policing in these communities is the best way to reduce such tensions, so long as the self-policing is conducted within the legal framework of our nation. Perhaps this, if not effective in reducing crime, would at least enable people to see that police enforcement in these communities is not racialized on a legal level and that racist acts of police brutality is conducted on an individual level. In the same manner, people have come to expect the provision of preferences in employment for minorities as having alleviated prior segregation and protest for fair wages has been vastly reduced since such preferences were instituted, implicating a sufficient degree of fairness. In simpler terms, why not extend such preferences to a political level, in a localized fashion?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom