• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"Potential" human being?

Throughout several years of debating the subject of abortion online, I have heard pro-choicers saying that the fetus is a "potential" human being.

Is it scientifically possible for any species to create a "potential" member of the species? What does that even mean? When two species mate and create offspring, isn't that offspring immediately of the same species as its parents?

I believe what they really mean is a potential moral agent, but I could be wrong. Obviously a fetus is a human but only in the same way that an egg is a chicken

Throughout several years of debating the subject of abortion online, I have heard pro-choicers saying that the fetus is a "potential" human being.

Is it scientifically possible for any species to create a "potential" member of the species? What does that even mean? When two species mate and create offspring, isn't that offspring immediately of the same species as its parents?

You switched the terms. It's not "potential member of the species" it's "potential human." As in not fully developed into a human yet.

Would you call a single sperm or a single egg a 'potential human being'?

I can see why you wouldn't go quite that far - after all, I probably wouldn't call a block of butter a 'potential cake', just part of a potential cake. I'd certainly call all the ingredients laid out together a 'potential cake', though - so how about a sperm and egg that are near each other but have not yet fused?

Good analogy, let's run with it - mix all the ingredients and put them in the oven. It's still not a cake until it's done.

I think you are looking at biology when others are looking at something else. Yes the cell has the combined DNA of the parents, so that makes it an underdeveloped human. However, what most people on the other side are thinking of are things like a functioning body, a functioning brain, the ability to live outside the mother's body, etc. Basically if the person is an independent entity. However, its a pretty fuzzy line about when that occurs. Honestly, the human body doesn't fully ramp up to full functionality until about 21 or 22 years of age and in cases of a disorder it may never happen, however the degree of ramping up is important to some people. Ultimately it depends on perspective and what a person considers to be the most important aspect of being human. Some people think it might be the soul or essence while others might look at various physical and mental qualities or maybe something else.

Last edited:
Not really relevant for a value distinction. A zygote is certainly not an independent organism anyway, if there is such a thing.

And what of only being part of an organism vs. being a whole human organism? Being part of a human vs. being a human? You do believe that just being human is not enough?

A zygote is human but not a being. A being must have possessed consciousness at some point, or else it is not a being. A bacterium is not a being even if it is an organism.

My point is that they are potential human beings in themselves with some help, just like a zygote. The only distinction is that one is a technology-dependent process and the other is natural, but what is natural is also irrelevant.

What is natural is completely irrelevant in assessing the value of something. Appeal to nature - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So you agree that your argument only works if you view the zygote as a potential human being instead of an actual one? (As I stated in my previous post)

You personally define "being" as having conciousness. Where did you get that?

Not that it matters. You call it a potential human being because it lacks consciousness and consciousness is what you give value to.

So, really this is all about when it obtains value because we are actually agreeing that a human should have a right to life once it has this value. The only difference is, I place it at the moment it becomes a human and you put it at when the human obtains consciousness.

Based on that, it all boils down to establishing when the value is obtained. I believe my position to be the default because we both are assuming human life has more value. And so, the default is to assign the value to simply being human unless and until some characterisic is determined to be the difference. So, it is on you to establish that characterisic.

You seem to be going with "consciousness". We will look at that more below.

The name of the movement is ridiculous to begin with. People do not value life, they value life of a particular kind. What is it that gives human life its value? It lies in the mind.

Something that has ever had the ability to experience anything. So I do make a distinction between never conscious, like a zygote, and formerly conscious, though if consciousness can never be reestablished my policy would be the same.

You need to know someone's past and future to know if they have value?

At best we can only give percentages of whether or not someone will reestablish consciousness. We can't rule it out or guarantee it. So, how low does the percent chance need to be to lose your value?

Also, a fun hypothetical - Say we gain the ability to clone adults just as they currently are (make a copy of them) but they always began in an unconscious state, would it be okay to kill them until they gain consciousness?

I wouldn't require that level of development. But when it is far less developed than the animals we kill for food, it seems silly to call its destruction a tragedy. A basic level of consciousness is what I mean. The ability to experience anything. Pain is the classic one we look for, but people tend to confuse simple reflexes and stress hormone responses with consciousness.

It requires certain structures in the brain to develop, and that is why some scientists set it at 26 weeks for upper cortical activity. But there is a transient structure, the subplate zone, that is innervated prior to that, so to err on the side of caution I would put it at 18 weeks until we have enough information for a more precise time.

Wait. It is silly to think it is a tragedy to kill a human that is less developed than an animal, but you put the marker for human value at a level of development below that of animals?

If you talk about the difference for humans being in the mind, shouldn't the value only come once the mind is developed beyond others?

And what of only being part of an organism vs. being a whole human organism? Being part of a human vs. being a human? You do believe that just being human is not enough?

It really makes no difference because the cells do have a full complement of DNA, but with different portions silenced. I believe what makes human life valuable lies in the mind, not merely in the DNA, anyway, though obviously that is a prerequisite for the formation of a conscious human.

So you agree that your argument only works if you view the zygote as a potential human being instead of an actual one? (As I stated in my previous post)

The zygote is a potential human being, but the tissue certainly is human.

You personally define "being" as having conciousness. Where did you get that?

Being | Define Being at Dictionary.com Definition 2. If somebody told you that we had found "alien beings," would they be talking about bacteria or something with consciousness? Definition 1 is invalid for this context because they're implying far more than something that is, that came into being. On the other hand, if they said, "alien life," they are being more ambiguous.

Based on that, it all boils down to establishing when the value is obtained. I believe my position to be the default because we both are assuming human life has more value. And so, the default is to assign the value to simply being human unless and until some characterisic is determined to be the difference. So, it is on you to establish that characterisic.

Your position is not the default because consciousness is the only standard that can establish personhood of any meaningful sort. Simply being human, as in human cells that are part of a whole, are not meaningfully a complete human being any more than a body without the capacity for consciousness.

At best we can only give percentages of whether or not someone will reestablish consciousness. We can't rule it out or guarantee it. So, how low does the percent chance need to be to lose your value?

Exactly zero, no more. If you can't establish it as zero, then it has more value than a never-conscious ZEF.

Also, a fun hypothetical - Say we gain the ability to clone adults just as they currently are (make a copy of them) but they always began in an unconscious state, would it be okay to kill them until they gain consciousness?

Yes, the same rules would apply, and indeed that step would eventually be a good way to keep people alive longer as a source for replacement organs, provided it could be done without the establishment of consciousness.

Wait. It is silly to think it is a tragedy to kill a human that is less developed than an animal, but you put the marker for human value at a level of development below that of animals?

Don't assume I'm comfortable with the fact that we kill animals for food.

If you talk about the difference for humans being in the mind, shouldn't the value only come once the mind is developed beyond others?

Sort of, but the tragedy begins and builds as development goes on. If you're killing something for your own convenience, i.e. elective abortion, the tragedy level needs to be near nothing, and killing something without consciousness would be an example of a non-tragedy.

It really makes no difference because the cells do have a full complement of DNA, but with different portions silenced. I believe what makes human life valuable lies in the mind, not merely in the DNA, anyway, though obviously that is a prerequisite for the formation of a conscious human.

So why does simply having a full complement of DNA matter? The silenced part obviously makes a difference between being part of a human and being a human.

I am trying to get you to at least realize that the zygote is a human. Even if you put no value on just being a human.

The zygote is a potential human being, but the tissue certainly is human.

That didn't answer the question at all. I asked if you agree that your argument for what we can do with human cells only works if you view the zygote as a potential human being instead of an actual one.

You're answer to that...(drumroll please)...is that the zygote is a potential human being. Um, okay. But if you thought it was an actual human being at that point, your argument wouldn't matter, right?

Let me try to explain further why your argument wouldn't work in this case. For the sake of your argument, I'll even assume that they can make any human cell into a zygote (not just similar to one - to simplify things). Your chain then looks like this "human cell"->zygote->"human with concsiousness". Since your value is on the last stage, all prior stages can be lumped into potentials for gaining value. But should value be placed on the second stage, the fact that the first can become the second doesn't matter because there is now the difference of potential vs. actual value at this stage instead. This is why mentioning that science can turn any human cell into a zygote (again - for the argument) only works if you don't put the value on the zygote in the first place.

Being | Define Being at Dictionary.com Definition 2. If somebody told you that we had found "alien beings," would they be talking about bacteria or something with consciousness? Definition 1 is invalid for this context because they're implying far more than something that is, that came into being. On the other hand, if they said, "alien life," they are being more ambiguous.

I don't really agree with what you think my assumptions would be on "alien beings" vs. "alien life". All you are saying is that you agree with definition number 2. But, like I said in the last post, this point doesn't matter - so I'll concede it.

Your position is not the default because consciousness is the only standard that can establish personhood of any meaningful sort. Simply being human, as in human cells that are part of a whole, are not meaningfully a complete human being any more than a body without the capacity for consciousness.

Exactly zero, no more. If you can't establish it as zero, then it has more value than a never-conscious ZEF.

Yes, the same rules would apply, and indeed that step would eventually be a good way to keep people alive longer as a source for replacement organs, provided it could be done without the establishment of consciousness.

Don't assume I'm comfortable with the fact that we kill animals for food.

Sort of, but the tragedy begins and builds as development goes on. If you're killing something for your own convenience, i.e. elective abortion, the tragedy level needs to be near nothing, and killing something without consciousness would be an example of a non-tragedy.

I believe I was wrong in declaring my position the default. That statement assumed that you developed consciousness as a marker for value based on humans having value and that marker would give humans the most value. Based on this post, I'm pretty sure that you are saying the consciousness holds the intrisic value, not being human, and humans simply get their value from it.

If that is the case, then our positions are equal and we need to make a case for each. Is intrisic value found in being human or in having consciousness? While there is a logical proof that intrisic value exists if value exists at all, I know of no way to prove where the intrisic value lies. If you do, be my guest. All we can do is try to present our position as the more reasonable one.

I believe that the intrisic value needs to lie in being a human because any other position will lead us down the slippery slope of abortion->euthanasia->genocide. All those things are rooted in classifying certain humans as not being "real" humans (in your case, a human but not a human being). In my system, all humans are valued equally and secondary value is established by what those humans value themselves. There are bound to be conflicts of weighing value vs. value but that would occur in any system. I'll have to address anything you see unreasonable in this system, as I am unlikely to think of many myself.

If we place this intrisic value instead on consciousness, there would be problems. First of all, since you talk about different levels of consciousness ("tragedy begins and builds as development goes on"), value would need to be given on a sliding scale and no additional weight given to being a human. And so, killing an infant or a mentally disabled person is no worse than killing many animals (better, in fact).

I assume that your marker for the level of consciousness is intelligence (correct me if I'm wrong). So really, a greater penalty should be had for killing someone who is smart. And do we just measure levels of consciousness with IQ tests? How do we know the level of tragedy that your possible death has built to?

And what is an example of something that has hit the most basic level of consciousness? Do instects have it? What counts as experiencing something?

Basically, how can we use levels of consciousness if we can't determine what they are. Even the most basic level you want to move several weeks back to be safe - but how do you know it is safe enough? That further discoveries won't find the basic level to be based on something that develops earlier?

I believe what they really mean is a potential moral agent, but I could be wrong. Obviously a fetus is a human but only in the same way that an egg is a chicken

I eat eggs. I eat chickens. I guess one could say I believe an egg is a chicken, because I value it just the same.;)

Good analogy, let's run with it - mix all the ingredients and put them in the oven. It's still not a cake until it's done.

Otoh, one could say it an "undone" or "raw" cake, but a cake just the same.;) An yes, I'm just being silly, not trying to argue with you. I understand your point of view even if I don't agree with it.

Otoh, one could say it an "undone" or "raw" cake, but a cake just the same.;) An yes, I'm just being silly, not trying to argue with you. I understand your point of view even if I don't agree with it.

Well, I don't know if I agree with myself either. I'm just pointing to an analogy for something that contains all its ingredients, but has undergone the full process to be complete.

When is the cake complete?

When is the cake complete?

When you stick a fork or toothpick in the center and it comes out clean. Let it cool on a wire rack, then frost.

It's cake batter.
That's something, but it's a different thing than cake.
I've never been to a birthday party, for instance, where they served a big bowl of cake batter.
Although that might be yummy.

But the point is, nobody's going to look at a bowl of opaque fluid and think, "Yum. A cake."

Last edited:
When you stick a fork or toothpick in the center and it comes out clean. Let it cool on a wire rack, then frost.

So when it's completely cooled and frosted, the cake is complete?

So when is a human "complete"?

So when it's completely cooled and frosted, the cake is complete?

So when is a human "complete"?

When it no longer occupies the body of a human host, and sustains itself by extracting the bodily resources of another.

When it no longer occupies the body of a human host, and sustains itself by extracting the bodily resources of another.

But they don't stop growing, changing....how can the human be complete when they'll learn a billion new things and their bodies will change dramatically?

But they don't stop growing, changing....how can the human be complete when they'll learn a billion new things and their bodies will change dramatically?

That has nothing to do with my statement, which addressed the biologically parasitic nature of a Z/E/F, and my belief that humanity is not present until the organism is able to survive independent of this biologically parasitic relationship with its host.

(That's your cue to feign incomprehension and retort, "But a baby is still dependent on others! It will die if someone doesn't feed and change it!")

To which my response will be that any caregiver can perform these tasks; it does not have to be the biological mother. And that there is no correlation between a child needing to be fed and a fetus occupying the body of a human host and extracting her bodily resources with or without her consent, and continuing to do so even to the detriment of its host, even- in rare cases- to her death.

I think the abortion debate usually runs into logical fallacies because humans have largely disconnected themselves from what it means to be part of nature, and how nature objectively operates, including kindness and cruelty.

Human beings (object) is objective and no rational will change it... The meaning or explanation of being human (subject) is subjective.

ricksfolly

This cake analogy is one I hadn't thought of yet, but it's actually quite interesting. The cake is created by mixing ingredients together. The mixture is then a completely different substance because it cannot change back into the individual ingredients again. Cake batter isn't flour or eggs, it's cake batter. The batter when put into the over begins to bake into something that someone would want to eat. When the cake is complete with frosting, decorations, etc. it is ready to eat.

Similarly, a child is created by certain ingredients. Each of the ingredients is a distinct "substance" that comes together to create something completely different than the separate ingredients. (A fetus cannot change back into sperm or an egg, of course.) The human baby grows and develops in the woman's womb (much like the cake batter bakes in the oven). However, when the human baby is removed from the womb, she/he isn't fully complete. She/He continues to grow, mature, develop throughout her/his entire life.

The cake batter isn't a fully developed cake, but it isn't anything BUT cake. It's not an apple pie or lasagna or baked spaghetti. Similarly, the child growing inside the womb isn't a fully developed human, but he/she isn't anything BUT human. She/He isn't a tumor or a tapeworm or a disease.

This cake analogy is one I hadn't thought of yet, but it's actually quite interesting. The cake is created by mixing ingredients together. The mixture is then a completely different substance because it cannot change back into the individual ingredients again. Cake batter isn't flour or eggs, it's cake batter. The batter when put into the over begins to bake into something that someone would want to eat. When the cake is complete with frosting, decorations, etc. it is ready to eat.

Similarly, a child is created by certain ingredients. Each of the ingredients is a distinct "substance" that comes together to create something completely different than the separate ingredients. (A fetus cannot change back into sperm or an egg, of course.) The human baby grows and develops in the woman's womb (much like the cake batter bakes in the oven). However, when the human baby is removed from the womb, she/he isn't fully complete. She/He continues to grow, mature, develop throughout her/his entire life.

The cake batter isn't a fully developed cake, but it isn't anything BUT cake. It's not an apple pie or lasagna or baked spaghetti. Similarly, the child growing inside the womb isn't a fully developed human, but he/she isn't anything BUT human. She/He isn't a tumor or a tapeworm or a disease.

I take full credit for the awesome cake analogy. But at the time, I was just hungry.

I want lasagna now.

According to whose authority?

Is a severly retarded adult human just "human", but not "a human"? Should we be able to kill him because we don't think his brain is advanced enough?

A severely retarded adult human is still sentient, even if his brain doesn't work very well. A fetus is not sentient.

Back
Top Bottom