• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pot problems in Colorado schools increase with legalization Read more: [W:212]

Re: Pot problems in Colorado schools increase with legalization Read more: Pot probl

Also I should point out that your drug legalization scheme has absolutely nothing to do with personal responsibility. You would have the state nurse these derelicts through the rest of their lives rather than slap the bong out of their hand.

Pot... really? So I await your proposal to reinstitute alcohol prohibition.

Re: Pot problems in Colorado schools increase with legalization Read more: Pot probl

Thank you. This article makes my point better than I did:

The study review showed marijuana was a significant contributor. You don't need to fully understand the mechanism in order to know that marijuana is bad for brain development. So given that this combination of nature and nurture affects about 25% of kids can you tell me how we avoid having that population fall into drug abuse while we make the drugs more available to them?

And if the connection isn't fully understood then how do you know who is at risk? Seems that a problem that might affect any child should be treated as a problem that would affect any child.

Last edited:

Pot problems in Colorado schools increase with legalization - The Denver Post

"GRAND JUNCTION — In two years of work as an undercover officer with a drug task force, Mike Dillon encountered plenty of drugs. But nothing has surprised him as much as what he has seen in schools lately.

Dillon, who is now a school resource officer with the Mesa County Sheriff's Department, said he is seeing more and younger kids bringing marijuana to schools, in sometimes-surprising quantities.

"When we have middle school kids show up with a half an ounce, that is shocking to me," Dillon said."

Who could have foreseen this? It's a mystery... :roll:
Been telling people from the start. when its there, they share, and soon enough theres a pot plant growing under the state flag

"GRAND JUNCTION — In two years of work as an undercover officer with a drug task force, Mike Dillon encountered plenty of drugs. But nothing has surprised him as much as what he has seen in schools lately.

Dillon, who is now a school resource officer with the Mesa County Sheriff's Department, said he is seeing more and younger kids bringing marijuana to schools, in sometimes-surprising quantities.

"When we have middle school kids show up with a half an ounce, that is shocking to me," Dillon said."

Clearly he was just ignorant prior to being a resource officer.

I remember reading about the time politicians first started to campaign for the prohibition of Marijuana in the U.S, it was during a period when uptake was really high among the African Americans (why else would the state attempt to ban it?). There was little to no serious scientific discourse on Marijuana to serve as the spring board behind the campaign to bring a ban of this leaf to the states, simply because the science wasn't there - so scientific inquiry was replaced with rhetoric, and that still remains the case today.

In fact I remember reading a lot of the justifications given to the U.S public (which at the time they no doubt loved) by Harry J. Anslinger during the campaign in 1930-37.

Some of the justifications being: "Two Negros took a girl fourteen years old and kept her for two days under the influence of hemp. Upon recovery she was found to be suffering from syphilis."

"Colored students at the Univ. of Minn. partying with (white) female students, smoking [marijuana] and getting their sympathy with stories of racial persecution. Result: pregnancy"

"Their satanic music is driven by marijuana, and marijuana smoking by white women makes them want to seek sexual relations with Negroes"

He was, no doubt, a white supremacist bigot, the legacy of which drug warriors insist on continuing in the modern era.

Okay, so we're banning things because in the long run they're harmful? Yes?

Only some things, but not all things. The board will tell you what you can and can't have. You aren't an adult...you can't make choices for yourself. Also, while we are at it, no more big sodas.

It's Colorado, they were already doing that.

Okay, so we're banning things because in the long run they're harmful? Yes?

That is the theory behind illegal narcotics, yes. But if your next argument is "Well then why not ban alcohol!?" then, as I pointed out a while ago, you are really just making an argument for banning alcohol, not legalizing marijuana.

The problem is that children are using pot in higher numbers.

Hahahah, higher numbers.

But not really, marijuana use amongst kids has been on the rise for quite some time. It's just that now they don't feel the need to hide it. Get over it already. Gonna freak out that kids in middle school and high school drink booze too? Cause they do.

Hahahah, higher numbers.

But not really, marijuana use amongst kids has been on the rise for quite some time. It's just that now they don't feel the need to hide it. Get over it already. Gonna freak out that kids in middle school and high school drink booze too? Cause they do.

Further proving that the entirety of the legalization argument is one long uninterrupted string of logical fallacy.

Does your reasoning apply equally to traffic laws? Kids will wreck cars anyway. Should kids be given answers to all their tests in school because kids are just going to cheat anyway?

The argument that some people will break the law is piss poor justification for repealing the law.

Does your reasoning apply equally to traffic laws? Kids will wreck cars anyway. Should kids be given answers to all their tests in school because kids are just going to cheat anyway?

Are you finding it difficult to distinguish these things with recreational drug use? The human appetite to experience something beyond what their senses can provide is not something that the law will ever tame. It is ancient, historic, and intrinsic to human society. Your analogy to traffic laws go a long way in showing that you have not quiet grasped that concept or this debate.

Further proving that the entirety of the legalization argument is one long uninterrupted string of logical fallacy.

The argument that some people will break the law is piss poor justification for repealing the law.

Kids will wreck cars, yet I do not propose to ban them from cars. You do understand what makes a rational argument, yes? Not wild accusations and off the mark hyperbole. So stay on target next time you respond.

IMO, I bet the percentage of teenagers smoking weed compared to when I was in high school (early-mid 90's) has dropped significantly....

IMO, I bet the percentage of teenagers smoking weed compared to when I was in high school (early-mid 90's) has dropped significantly....

I'm not 100% that's true, but I don't think it's pot's fault either.

I'm not 100% that's true, but I don't think it's pot's fault either.

Most kids these days won't even smoke a cigarette....

I'd bet that more kids smoke pot than cigarettes.....

That is the theory behind illegal narcotics, yes. But if your next argument is "Well then why not ban alcohol!?" then, as I pointed out a while ago, you are really just making an argument for banning alcohol, not legalizing marijuana.

No, I'm asking you whether we should ban things because studies say they're harmful?

The study review showed marijuana was a significant contributor.

Nope, it showed a statistical correlation. The quotes were from a doctor that co-authored the thing. He said himself there is no clear causal connection. You are operating on wishful thinking.

jmotivator said:
You don't need to fully understand the mechanism in order to know that marijuana is bad for brain development.

Maybe if you want to convince a child. I won't pretend to understand the mechanism either. That's doesn't mean I'll take your word for it. If it's so clear, find a doctor saying there is a direct causal connection between psychosis and marijuana use. A statistical correlation isn't going to get it done.

So given that this combination of nature and nurture affects about 25% of kids can you tell me how we avoid having that population fall into drug abuse while we make the drugs more available to them?

Why should you bother pretending you can control people's behaviors?

We blow far to many resources on this moral crusade. It's never been winnable or even worth fighting.

How many billions should we sink in this hole, and how many people do we have put in prison so that Drug Warriors can declare victory?

How much money should we fork over to drug cartels, rather than pumping through our own economy?

Medical Marijuana laws passed in 2009/2010 in Colorado led to a a jump in drug expulsions rates from 534 the prior year to 753 the following year, and hasn't dropped to pre-law rates yet. Overall drug violations jumped as well, and the decrease since 2010 is because of the high rate of expulsions.
snip*
This is the stat I was asking you to verify.
Expulsion of teens for marijuana is up 25% in Colorado since they began legalizing pot, 29% in total.
Your link above doesn't have any stats on expulsions due specifically to marijuana. In fact, it also doesn't narrow it down to expulsions, like you did. It refers to incidents involving either, illegal narcotics, alcohol, or tobacco that resulted in disciplinary action.

No, I'm asking you whether we should ban things because studies say they're harmful?

I know your blunt question was not directed at me but I would like to respond: NO NO NO NO and NO..

I know your blunt question was not directed at me but I would like to respond: NO NO NO NO and NO..

That's what the OP is suggesting. :)

That's what the OP is suggesting. :)

IDK nor do I care......

I'm not a member of a cult.....

IDK nor do I care......

I'm not a member of a cult.....

Your political lean says "Libertarian". I beg to differ.

Conservatives... predominantly Republicans, are nothing but authoritarians. They are THE authoritarians. This is why I respect real Libertarians becuase they are actually the conservatives that are not authoritarians.

Keep going, this is some crazy ****.

Keep going, this is some crazy ****.

What's crazy is how much the GOP talks about small government while at the same time how bad the GOP want's in me and my wife's pants at the same time. Your folk want to implement policies that play morality police. That is about as big a government intrusion as big government can be.

Nope, it showed a statistical correlation. The quotes were from a doctor that co-authored the thing. He said himself there is no clear causal connection. You are operating on wishful thinking.[/wide]

Hah, that isn't what it said at all! His whole point is that Marijuana has an adverse affect on developing brains! How on earth did you glean that falsehood from such clarity?

Maybe if you want to convince a child. I won't pretend to understand the mechanism either. That's doesn't mean I'll take your word for it. If it's so clear, find a doctor saying there is a direct causal connection between psychosis and marijuana use. A statistical correlation isn't going to get it done.

I already did, but you have misread his warnings

Why should you bother pretending you can control people's behaviors?

Yeah, there isn't centuries of study on behavioral modification. In fact, the pothead lobby argues that legalization will reduce pot consumption, so your side seems to believe in behavior modification as well. It's just that the pothead argument is stupid, nonsensical and wrong.

We blow far to many resources on this moral crusade. It's never been winnable or even worth fighting.

Given the increase in teen marijuana use after legalization I would say your argument is false even at the most basic level. If legalization increases drug use (which it is in Colorado) then the efforts to reduce drug use were working. Your problem is that you like to argue black and white straw men where you assume that the anti-marijuana side assumes there will be some point where nobody uses marijuana. Nobody actually argues this. But I would bet there are lots of things in your life you still do even knowing that you won't be 100% successful, and you do them because you feel they need doing.

How many billions should we sink in this hole, and how many people do we have put in prison so that Drug Warriors can declare victory?

Again, there is no black and white in drug abuse prevention. Is it your assumption that if drugs were legalized that all the people selling illegal drugs will find gainful employment and turn to a virtuous life? Or do you suppose the kind of people that break the law to make money would find some other illegal way to make money and get arrested for doing it?

How much money should we fork over to drug cartels, rather than pumping through our own economy?

Again, do you think the cartels will just go away? Is it your assumption that we would be legalizing all drugs with no controls? It's already illegal for kids to have drugs, and yet they still have them. You don't think the cartels would still target that market?

In general I don't find your set of assumptions of the outcome of any legalization effort to be particularly well thought out.

Back
Top Bottom