• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Postal Workers Decry Changes And Cost-Cutting Measures

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

r

8/11/20
Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's plans to shake up the agency are gathering opposition from some of its workers. DeJoy has already prohibited postal workers from working overtime. He wants late-arriving mail to be left behind and delivered the following day. On Friday, he announced a new organizational structure for the agency's executives. "Mail is beginning to pile up in our offices, and we're seeing equipment being removed," said Kimberly Karol, president of the Iowa Postal Workers Union and a postal clerk in Waterloo, Iowa. As a result of the recent changes, Karol told NPR's Noel King on Morning Edition, a mail processing machine was removed from her facility in Waterloo and others have been removed across Iowa. Of the policy to leave some letters behind for the following day, another postal worker told NPR last month: "I am sick to my stomach," knowing that means medication could be delayed in getting to recipients.

Karol echoed that point: "I grew up in a culture of service where every piece was to be delivered, to be delivered every day." She said the Postal Service's new polices are "not allowing us to deliver every piece every day, as we've done in the past." Other postal workers "all across the country" agree, she said. A letter carrier in Cincinnati was told to leave mail behind if it would require using overtime. "We are already short-handed," she told Government Executive. "We don't have enough people to get all the routes done without using overtime." Karol argues that the measures won't save money either. "I see this as a way to undermine the public confidence in the mail service," she said. "It's not saving costs. Perhaps the biggest alarms are being sounded by members of Congress, who are concerned about the prospect of big changes at the Postal Service during an election that's expected to see more mail-in voting than ever before.

Voters should also be concerned. Very concerned.

This is Donald Trump overtly influencing the election by purposefully ruining the capability of the USPS to process mail-in votes for the November election in a timely manner.

Trump will insist that no mail-in vote counted after November 3rd is legitimate. No different than the actions of some tinpot dictator in a banana republic.

Related: U.S. postal service reorganization sparks delays, election questions

Of the policy to leave some letters behind for the following day, another postal worker told NPR last month: "I am sick to my stomach," knowing that means medication could be delayed in getting to recipients.

Trumpism: the ugliness is the point.

This is naked cheating.

Where are all the red blooded patriots?

Where are all the 2A types that swore they would defend peoples rights and combat tyranny if it ever reared its ugly head?

This is how Democracy dies.

If not today, another time when someone goes even further because Trump supporters have shown, clearly, that there’s nothing he can do that they won’t defend or ignore.

If he nuked LA tomorrow they would say

HAHA One Less Liberal ****hole to worry about :lamo this is gonna spike the TDS levels in the forum :lamo :lamo

It's pathetic and obvious that Trump is trying to pull the rug out from under the USPS in order to negatively impact Mail-In voting to suppress voting during a pandemic. It's obvious. But the Cultists are trying to reframe the narrative. They don't care that their Dear Leader is trying to rig the election, that's not even a concern. They're happy he's doing it.

So the ignorant, dishonest, partisan narrative they're trying to spin now is that we shouldn't be pushing Mail-In voting because Trump is trying to rig the system against it.

The real concern is that the"culture of service" Karol talks about in the Quote Box posted by the OP is not a bug....its a feature. USPS is a government guaranteed SERVICE. It's not a business. That it loses money is baked in just as it is with our Military Services.

It is Trump and his cohorts that are trying to ram USPS into a business orientation for their own evil, un-American purposes claiming that since it loses money it needs to be "fixed". BUT ITS NOT A BUSINESS. Sorry Trumpets. Its just more Trumpian nonsense. Fall for it if you want.

Everything is a Trump conspiracy. My cousin worked at the USPS briefly when he came out of the military when the Kenyan was King. He ended up quitting and going back to college as his pay was significantly cut when he went from being a trainee to a regular employee.

r

Voters should also be concerned. Very concerned.

This is Donald Trump overtly influencing the election by purposefully ruining the capability of the USPS to process mail-in votes for the November election in a timely manner.

Trump will insist that no mail-in vote counted after November 3rd is legitimate. No different than the actions of some tinpot dictator in a banana republic.

Related: U.S. postal service reorganization sparks delays, election questions

Privatization to the rescue!

Privatization to the rescue!

Which would of course turn USPS into a business.

Somebody needs to get Trump a copy of the Constitution. Actually forget it. He only has about 85 days before he gets his butt kicked and then another 80 or so before he has to vacate the premises. Since a "See spot run" version of the Constitution will not do for a sitting President, it's hopeless. There is just no sense in trying spend any time trying to drill into Trump's cement head at this point.

Everything is a Trump conspiracy. My cousin worked at the USPS briefly when he came out of the military when the Kenyan was King. He ended up quitting and going back to college as his pay was significantly cut when he went from being a trainee to a regular employee.

No one gives a **** about your endless partisan anecdotes.

Was just reading about this yesterday. What the Trump mob is doing is anti-American and unpatriotic. The Traitor In Chief and his repug buttsucks can't win without cheating, and they will do all they can to cheat even if it destroys our democracy. The scumbag in office can go low, like all criminal dictator wannabes. Dump the bitch in November, and put a patriotic adult American in the White House. https://www.npr.org/2020/08/11/901349291/postal-workers-decry-changes-and-cost-cutting-measures

You know at first I thought everyone was making to much of this. The dejoy guy was business was logistics, he's just trying to make things more efficient....no worries there right?

But the situation is specifically targeted. My nephew in Boston a solid blue state says there has been no effect on him. Still overtime, still get everything out. He did say he's not sure what's going to happen in the fall since there is a hiring freeze and July/August is when they start hiring and training for the upcoming busy season.
My cousin works in Georgia he said the stuff that's happening there is downright cruel and Amazon is no longer routing packages thru his hub. He wants to retire and can't, they stopped retirement somehow.
I guess fedex that doesn't deliver to every address but has a "last mile" plan with the post office is posting up to 5 day delays with deliveries but only in certain areas.
I hope all those folks in rural areas where fedex and ups don't deliver see what's happening.
This is about more than voting, during a pandemic more people are getting more things delivered. Why now?
Post office losing money free up money by Congress passing a bill that says the post office funds retirement for 30 years instead of 75 years. Bam problem solved no budget short fall.

No one gives a **** about your endless partisan anecdotes.

'Anything that isn't Trump Be Evil isn't reality to you . In the mean time. the Post Office is filled with drama queens who complain about how things are and complain when anybody changes anything. They are like the democrats, but employed.

It's pathetic and obvious that Trump is trying to pull the rug out from under the USPS in order to negatively impact Mail-In voting to suppress voting during a pandemic. It's obvious. But the Cultists are trying to reframe the narrative. They don't care that their Dear Leader is trying to rig the election, that's not even a concern. They're happy he's doing it.

So the ignorant, dishonest, partisan narrative they're trying to spin now is that we shouldn't be pushing Mail-In voting because Trump is trying to rig the system against it.

Bull****, Trump trounced Clinton in Iowa by just under 10%. There would be zero political motive in targeting Iowa if there were even a shred of truth to your conspiracy theory.

'Anything that isn't Trump Be Evil isn't reality to you . In the mean time. the Post Office is filled with drama queens who complain about how things are and complain when anybody changes anything. They are like the democrats, but employed.

There is a reason why Trump appointed Louis DeJoy - who contributed $2.5 million to the GOP - as Postmaster General in May 2020.

And it wasn't to fix the USPS in 6 months. It was to ruin the USPS in 6 months and affect the November election.

So what is the latest from Donald on USPS and mail-in voting?

The latest from Donald is that "They don't have the money to do it. So are they going to do it anyway?"

A) USPS handled 472M pieces of mail EVERY SINGLE DAY. You would think they could handle a paltry 200M spread over a couple of weeks without even breathing hard
B) USPS is asking that the GOVERNMENT GUARANTEED SERVICE that is the USPS not be hindered from providing that service. It loses money. No kidding. So does every other government guaranteed service
C) There has been efforts made to further secure the election process for all of the last 3.5 years virtually all of them BLOCKED by the GOP to this day

Is your cousin the apparent racist you are? When the kenyan was king. The mail thing is not a conspiracy, it's happening but as usual trump supporters don't agree, it's just more fake news to them.

This is naked cheating.

Where are all the red blooded patriots?

Where are all the 2A types that swore they would defend peoples rights and combat tyranny if it ever reared its ugly head?

This is how Democracy dies.

If not today, another time when someone goes even further because Trump supporters have shown, clearly, that there’s nothing he can do that they won’t defend or ignore.

If he nuked LA tomorrow they would say

You can get your asses out to protest but not to a voting booth? The mail ins are already being sent to pets. Yeah us 2a types are watching this very carefully. I strongly suggest that democrats do not try and steal the election.

You can get your asses out to protest but not to a voting booth? The mail ins are already being sent to pets. Yeah us 2a types are watching this very carefully. I strongly suggest that democrats do not try and steal the election.

Good, If SO ..... My dog has more sense than a Trumpet has.

Good, If SO ..... My dog has more sense than a Trumpet has.

Good to know you are on record for supporting unlawful elections. I always say lefties are straight up filthy traitors but its always great when they confirm it.

Good to know you are on record for supporting unlawful elections. I always say lefties are straight up filthy traitors but its always great when they confirm it.

An absurd take from the humorless Right...just like Trump himself...the humorless, brooding, whining, dark, doomsday peddling carpetbagger.

An absurd take from the humorless Right...just like Trump himself...the humorless, brooding, whining, dark, doomsday peddling carpetbagger.

Yes pets getting ballots sent to them is not a sign of voter fraud. Frign first batch is rife with illegal activity.

Got a hankerin to shoot ya some libs?

Got a hankerin to shoot ya some libs?

Did you think this was my first rodeo? Cute but pathetically weak as well. Hey...here is a participation award for you trying. Its not a first place but I'm guessing you are used to that by now.

Did you think this was my first rodeo? Cute but pathetically weak as well. Hey...here is a participation award for you trying. Its not a first place but I'm guessing you are used to that by now.

Thanks for that. Nice and shiny. But back to the original line of thinking. You wrote "Yeah us 2a types are watching this very carefully. I strongly suggest that democrats do not try and steal the election."

We get it...You're tough. You have a gun and you ain't afraid to use it. Cool

Back
Top Bottom