• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Postal Services - should they be a private affair or a government responsibility?

My opinion is ....

• Postal services should be private only

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Postal services should be a government responsibility

Votes: 19 79.2%
  • Good postal services are a sign of good goernments

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Bad postal services are a sign of bad governments

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • don't care

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • other

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Postal Services - should they be a private affair or a government responsibility?

That question might be relevant in your country, but it is moot in the US.

Our Constitution mandates the government maintain a postal system.

I think that Postal Services should be a government responsibility. :)

Government responsibility.

One question would be if there is anything constitutionally the responsibility of the govt that has been partially or wholly given to private contractors in any way, shape or form?

Here we have both; Private postal services - and one government-owned postal service.
I do not think that these parallel system is a good idea.

6 out of 8 say: Postal services should be a government responsibility

And what do Trump and Biden have to say on this subject?

Mixed feeling about this topic...cutting cost and waste should be the goal of any enterprise...cut Saturday delivery for one would be a step in the right direction IMO. Second raise rates for junk mailings.

Are there no private postal services as well - in the US?

In my opinion there is no practical reason to privatize it. The only real issue the post office has is in funding requirements for pensions which are absurdly high, causing paper losses.

The social benefit of communications reaching everyone far outweighs some theoretical idea of markets.

In my opinion there is no practical reason to privatize it. The only real issue the post office has is in funding requirements for pensions which are absurdly high, causing paper losses.

The social benefit of communications reaching everyone far outweighs some theoretical idea of markets.

So your answer, if I am reading it right, is to throw money at it and problem solved?

So your answer, if I am reading it right, is to throw money at it and problem solved?

No, fix the absurd pension requirement, its in the text you quoted which you obviously did not read.

Mixed feeling about this topic...cutting cost and waste should be the goal of any enterprise...cut Saturday delivery for one would be a step in the right direction IMO. Second raise rates for junk mailings.

I'd go even further than that. I struggle to see a need for daily residential mail delivery at all. I'd switch general mail delivery it to every other day, or even once a week. Or if someone wants something to arrive sooner, create a higher-cost option for that.

I'd go even further than that. I struggle to see a need for daily residential mail delivery at all. I'd switch general mail delivery it to every other day, or even once a week. Or if someone wants something to arrive sooner, create a higher-cost option for that.

Except that is anti-constitutional. Before you posted, did you happen to search for and read a list of all of the zip codes UPS or Fedex do not deliver to?
The USPS is required to deliver "the last mile" .... completing the deliveries handled most of the way by those major, for profit carriers.

Deep in this article:
FedEx, UPS begin the great last-mile delivery divergence - FreightWaves

...The battle is high stakes for reasons that, by now, are well known – the growth of e-commerce, the demands of consumers for free shipping, Amazon’s expanding footprint and USPS’ continued presence. E-commerce has transformed the carrier-customer relationship and changed the way businesses ship. Business-to-consumer (B2C) shipping has taken control of the market, and it will continue to dominate....

We have a system that works and provides universal delivery of everything from live poultry to perishable medications and food stuffs at realistic
pricing. The court system requires timely legal notice, by mail.

It isn't only you.... the overwhelming posts in all of these threads are primarily underinformed, feelings.

If you want to propose a law elminating the USPS delivery obligations, I'd be interested in discussing it with you.
Until DeJoy and the now entirely Trump appointed, USPS board of governors, the USPS was following the law.

It is essential to the continued growth of competitive e-commerce. It has served as possibly the most important route of entry to the mddle class for minorities
and military veterans.

2018 USPS Task Force report

https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/136/USPS_A_Sustainable_Path_Forward_report_12-04-2018.pdf

....C. Scope of the Work....
The Task Force also considered the USPS’s particular importance to rural and remotelocations within the United States, recognizing the USPS’s role in the U.S. economy, as botha service provider and employer. The USPS provides postal services across all regions and isone of our nation’s largest employers, with employees in nearly every community in thecountry. The Task Force strongly believes that any potential solutions considered shouldnot disadvantage those living in rural or remote locations....

Last edited:
No, fix the absurd pension requirement, its in the text you quoted which you obviously did not read.

I am one up...I didn't read what text that I didn't quote?
I can't believe any progressive like you would say 'fix the pension requirements.'
Be they progressive or fiscal conservative...would be labeled as anti-union... however fixing any contract pension provision in the private or especially public pensions is nearly impossible. Scott Walker did it in Wisconsin but that was a rare exception and liberals democrats were all over him for that. In the long run it most likely cost him his job.

Except that is anti-constitutional.

I don't care because I'm not discussing what's legal or constitutional, I'm discussing what I think should happen.

Before you posted, did you happen to search for and read a list of all of the zip codes UPS or Fedex do not deliver to?
The USPS is required to deliver "the last mile" .... completing the deliveries handled most of the way by those major, for profit carriers.

Also irrelevant because I'm not suggesting the USPS stop delivering anywhere. The vast majority of mail that is sent these days is not time sensitive. Deliver that mail less often. For things that are time-sensitive, create a higher-priced option.

I am one up...I didn't read what text that I didn't quote?
I can't believe any progressive like you would say 'fix the pension requirements.'
Be they progressive or fiscal conservative...would be labeled as anti-union... however fixing any contract pension provision in the private or especially public pensions is nearly impossible. Scott Walker did it in Wisconsin but that was a rare exception and liberals democrats were all over him for that. In the long run it most likely cost him his job.

75 years of pension funding is quite unreasonable no matter one's lean

also, people arent a stereotype, engage the poster and not the construct in your mind

Back
Top Bottom