• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Post your personal DGU (defensive gun use) stories or the positive use of a firearm by a friend or family member, that you know are factual.

Daddyo

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Ok in this thread I would like to share positive gun uses. Give us the stories about your gun literally saving you. Give us the stories of your gun preventing you from being harmed by changing the mind of your attacker/s. Give us similar stories that happened to close friends or family members. Actual personal stories or 100 percent factual friend or family ones.

I will begin.

Decades ago I went to a park to play basketball with my brother in law. I was carrying a 9mm pistol in my jacket pocket. My brother in law was only 16 and unarmed. As we played horse lol on one court a big game was happening on another court 100 yards away. As we played I noticed the other game had stopped and all the players and spectators were walking toward us. This park was adjacent a housing projects so I anticipated the worst was about to happen. I immediately ordered my brother in law to grab his stuff. We gotta go now bud, I said to my BIL. He initially got upset but a quick nod toward the approaching trouble motivated him instantly. As the group of black youth spread out and got within talking range they asked if we were from the neighborhood. I responded no even though I lived half a block away. There were 13 maybe 15 young men of various sizes and all seemed to be in the 15 year old range if I had to guess. The voice man said we were not allowed to play on their court while others spoke of beating the shit out of us. I said yes sir I figured that was why you were coming up on us and we are leaving. Keep in mind that we were already walking toward the exit as this group closed the distance on us. I said please allow us to leave guys we don’t want any trouble. They began to spread wider and continued to close the distance only now they are openly angry and threatening grave bodily harm. I decided that I could not allow them to attack us and pulled my pistol hoping that seeing it would cause them to stop and allow us to safely leave the park. I stopped and turned back to face the group. My pistol was in my right hand pointed down at my side. I turned the gun sideways so that a good view was possible and gave my last warning………I said we are leaving. If you continue to walk up on us making threats I am going to be forced to use deadly force. Leave us alone. I said this firm and with the most serious voice I had ever used in my life. The group stopped the attack and we left unharmed.

I had 8 rounds in the gun and no spare. To this day I am thankful that they stopped. Without my gun we would have been beaten or worst. There was no doubt in my mind that my gun saved us from serious injury that day.

When I first got married in the late 70s, I thought I'd take the wife out to teach her how to shoot. This was in Texas, so out to the boonies on a dirt road we went, set up some cans to shoot. We only had my 12th birthday present, a single shot .22 rifle. Easy gun to shoot, not loud.
After a while a carload of extremely greasy looking individuals drove by, I assume they saw my wife. They turned around, stopped about 30 feet away and began getting out of the car. At that point, I picked up the little pop gun and simply cycled the bolt to chamber another round without actually aiming at them.
Hahaha, you should have seen the expression on their faces change. I'll never forget it.
Needless to say, they ran back to their car and left.

I can honestly say in the 59 years that I have owned firearms, including the 8 years I spent in the Marine Corps, I have never once used a firearm in a defensive manner.

Next week is the beginning of salmon season, and like the previous 32 salmon seasons before this one, I will be carrying firearms for my protection every time I go fishing. I have had numerous encounters with bears, more than I can easily count. However, none of the bears have ever been aggressive. I always give them lots of space, if I am able. If I feel they are getting too close, and I'm unable to move, then I toss a couple of lady-finger firecrackers in their general direction and they get the not-so-subtle hint and leave the area.

The only time I was ever attacked by another critter was by a moose. I was able to put a large spruce tree between me and the moose, until the moose got frustrated that they couldn't get to me and eventually left. I never felt like my life was in danger, so while I was indeed armed and able to take down the moose, I did not feel the need. Besides, it would have been a pain in the ass to have to comply with shooting an animal in self-defense. Alaska law requires the animal taken in self-defense to be skinned, the meat salvaged, and everything turned over to the Alaska Department of Fish & Game, along with completing a report explaining the incident. That would have taken all day, and I was on the river to fish, not skin moose.

I truly hope that my diligence is the only thing required of me when I go fishing. However, I will continue to carry firearms every time I go fishing in case I ever encounter that rare aggressive bear or that psychotic moose I cannot evade. As the adage goes, "it is always better to have a firearm and not need it, than to need a firearm and not have it."

Ok in this thread I would like to share positive gun uses. Give us the stories about your gun literally saving you. Give us the stories of your gun preventing you from being harmed by changing the mind of your attacker/s. Give us similar stories that happened to close friends or family members. Actual personal stories or 100 percent factual friend or family ones.

I will begin.

Decades ago I went to a park to play basketball with my brother in law. I was carrying a 9mm pistol in my jacket pocket. My brother in law was only 16 and unarmed. As we played horse lol on one court a big game was happening on another court 100 yards away. As we played I noticed the other game had stopped and all the players and spectators were walking toward us. This park was adjacent a housing projects so I anticipated the worst was about to happen. I immediately ordered my brother in law to grab his stuff. We gotta go now bud, I said to my BIL. He initially got upset but a quick nod toward the approaching trouble motivated him instantly. As the group of black youth spread out and got within talking range they asked if we were from the neighborhood. I responded no even though I lived half a block away. There were 13 maybe 15 young men of various sizes and all seemed to be in the 15 year old range if I had to guess. The voice man said we were not allowed to play on their court while others spoke of beating the shit out of us. I said yes sir I figured that was why you were coming up on us and we are leaving. Keep in mind that we were already walking toward the exit as this group closed the distance on us. I said please allow us to leave guys we don’t want any trouble. They began to spread wider and continued to close the distance only now they are openly angry and threatening grave bodily harm. I decided that I could not allow them to attack us and pulled my pistol hoping that seeing it would cause them to stop and allow us to safely leave the park. I stopped and turned back to face the group. My pistol was in my right hand pointed down at my side. I turned the gun sideways so that a good view was possible and gave my last warning………I said we are leaving. If you continue to walk up on us making threats I am going to be forced to use deadly force. Leave us alone. I said this firm and with the most serious voice I had ever used in my life. The group stopped the attack and we left unharmed.

I had 8 rounds in the gun and no spare. To this day I am thankful that they stopped. Without my gun we would have been beaten or worst. There was no doubt in my mind that my gun saved us from serious injury that day.

You know where they have the highest number of defensive uses of a gun? A battlefield.

Still doesn't make it a safe place to live though.

Gun advocates want to turn the US into a battlefield just so they can prove we need guns and have to use them a lot for defensive purposes.

You know where they have the highest number of defensive uses of a gun? A battlefield.

This is correct.

Gun advocates want to turn the US into a battlefield just so they can prove we need guns and have to use them a lot for defensive purposes.
This is bullshit.

I've had numerous times when a weapon saved my life, but those were on the battlefield.

I've also had a time when a weapon saved me from a rabid coyote.

I left the battlefield a long time ago and, like Glitch, when I'm out in nature I am armed. Just in case.

I've had numerous times when a weapon saved my life, but those were on the battlefield.

I've also had a time when a weapon saved me from a rabid coyote.

I left the battlefield a long time ago and, like Glitch, when I'm out in nature I am armed. Just in case.
In most countries, people can get hunting licenses for special needs such as that if they live in such places.

Still doesn't explain all the insistence on being "free" to open carry ARs with high capacity magazine clips and armor piercing rounds near the local elementary school and in government buildings.

This is all clearly not about protecting yourself against cayotes.

I will begin.

You didn't even kill anyone. You didn't mention if the antagonists were swarthy, either, though the housing projects is a sign, and why are you hanging out in the projects? Maybe you are swarthy as well.

What a weak story, one that leaves more questions than answers, but I'm glad you survived the traumatic experience nonetheless.

MAGA.

Clearly you didn't read my post. I am a gun advocate that carries firearms for defensive purposes that has never had to use those firearms for defensive purposes. That doesn't mean I am going to stop carrying firearms for defensive purposes.

Also, unlike leftist fascist filth, I do not try to determine the needs of others. If others do not wish to carry firearms for defensive purposes, that is entirely up to them. The self-appointed bear expert Timothy Treadwell didn't feel the need to carry a firearm for self-defensive, and promptly got both himself and his girlfriend eaten by those very same bears he claimed to know so much about.

If you walk around Alaska's wilds without a firearm for self-defense, then you are tempting fate. It is possible to do, but it requires a level of awareness not typically found in city critters. The overwhelming majority of maulings by bear are the result of people not paying attention to their surroundings and surprising the bear. The bear isn't trying to kill. They were merely surprised by such a close encounter and wanted to ensure that the human was not a threat. It is very easy to surprise a bear if you don't know what you are doing or what to look for.

I would give city critters maybe a week in Alaska's wild before they would need to use a firearm in self-defense, primarily because of their ignorance and stupidity.

In most countries, people can get hunting licenses for special needs such as that if they live in such places.

Still doesn't explain all the insistence on being "free" to open carry ARs with high capacity magazine clips and armor piercing rounds near the local elementary school and in government buildings.

This is about personal stories. I gave mine.

This is what I carry whenever I go fishing:
AR-12.jpg
My primary camp gun.

Ruger .44.jpg
My back-up.

If I am going fishing for halibut, then I also bring along:
Remington Model 870.jpg
You do not want to be bringing a halibut that weighs more than 75 pounds into the boat while it is still alive. Halibut are 85% muscle and at 75+ pounds more than capable of breaking bone. You kill them before bringing them into the boat.

This is about personal stories. I gave mine.
This reminds me.

While young, I would often visit my Grandparent's house in the country. I'd borrow Grandpappy's shotgun to hunt muskrats which, I will remind you, are dangerous animals. Their lairs dug into ditch banks are a real menace to people driving by though, honestly, I've never had one collapse on me, probably because of my rampant slaughter of the muskrats.

MAGA.

Also, unlike leftist fascist filth, I do not try to determine the needs of others. If others do not wish to carry firearms for defensive purposes, that is entirely up to them.

Most of your fellow Americans are telling you that the unregulated use of weapons is keeping them in terror and annoying them. This is like a neighbor who blasts their stereo any hour they want, and when his neighbors complains, he tells them they do not have to blast their stereo if they don't want, and he is not forcing them to do anything.

This is what I carry whenever I go fishing:
View attachment 67449357
My primary camp gun.

View attachment 67449358
My back-up.

If I am going fishing for halibut, then I also bring along:
View attachment 67449359
You do not want to be bringing a halibut that weighs more than 75 pounds into the boat while it is still alive. Halibut are 85% muscle and at 75+ pounds more than capable of breaking bone. You kill them before bringing them into the boat.

OK. Hunters have special licenses in all other countries as well- and yet those guys still don't stand in the way of laws keeping anyone to open carry these things around the local elementary school. Why do you?

OK. Hunters have special licenses in all other countries as well- and yet those guys still don't stand in the way of laws keeping anyone to open carry these things around the local elementary school. Why do you?
He undoubtedly carries hand grenades as well. They're very effective against bears and other varmints, especially the bipedal ones.

MAGA.

No personal or experiences by someone close.

The only experience is that my dad will not touch a gun after some unknown experience in Vietnam that messed him up.

Most of your fellow Americans are telling you that the unregulated use of weapons is keeping them in terror and annoying them. This is like a neighbor who blasts their stereo any hour they want, and when his neighbors complains, he tells them they do not have to blast their stereo if they don't want, and he is not forcing them to do anything.
No they are not. Americans know their individual rights and support them. Only the anti-American leftist filth are telling me that they do not acknowledge any rights whatsoever and want to trample over everyone else's constitutionally protected rights that they don't believe anyone has.

If they are living in abject terror, then that is their mental problem, not mine. I am also able to freely speak my mind without be concerned whether you take offense or not. Individual rights are not predicated upon whether someone else is offended or terrified. As a leftist, this is clearly a concept that is beyond your ability to comprehend.

No personal or experiences by someone close.

The only experience is that my dad will not touch a gun after some unknown experience in Vietnam that messed him up.
People react to war in a myriad of different ways. Your dad is not to be faulted for the way he has reacted.

For me, surviving two tours in Vietnam before the age of 21 only made me appreciate life...and weapons...more.

Please direct your complaints to the OP. I don't give a shit what you think.
Any of us with a functional brain cell knows it's all about you, and even those without one (like me) can usually figure it out. It's the loser lib-progs, i.e. Democrats, who remain clueless.

¡Viva Mycroft!

MAGA.

Last edited:
People react to war in a myriad of different ways. Your dad is not to be faulted for the way he has reacted.

For me, surviving two tours in Vietnam before the age of 21 only made me appreciate life...and weapons...more.
I own firearms but I will never let my dad know that fact.

I don’t think he could handle it.

He undoubtedly carries hand grenades as well. They're very effective against bears and other varmints, especially the bipedal ones.

MAGA.
I heard of a guy who lived north of Fairbanks, AK, who made a flame-thrower from an old fire extinguisher canister. He claimed it was an extremely good bear deterrent. It couldn't have been very good for the surrounding environment however.

An air-horn, or anything that makes a really loud noise, would also be a good bear deterrent. I use firecrackers. Bear spray will also work to deter a non-aggressive bear. It is incredible rude to spray another critter in the face when compared to just a loud noise, but an effective deterrent nonetheless.

The only thing that can actually stop, not deter, a bear is a firearm of a suitable caliber. When your life is on the line you will want to do more than just discourage or deter.

Back
Top Bottom