• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

'Possessed' nun crucified after row with priest

shuamort

Pundit-licious
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Source

A Romanian Orthodox priest who faces a murder charge after ordering the crucifixion of a young nun because she was "possessed by the devil" was unrepentant as he conducted a funeral mass for his alleged victim.

Father Daniel Corogeanu, 29, said that the nun had been "possessed by the devil" and was "beyond salvation" in life.

He claimed that from the religious point of view, the crucifixion of Maricica Irina Cornici, 23, was "entirely justified", but admitted that he faced excommunication as well as prosecution, and was seeking a "good lawyer."

The nun was found dead last Wednesday, gagged and chained to a cross, after nuns from her order, the Holy Trinity, called for an ambulance in the remote mountain village of Tanacu in north-eastern Romania.

:shock:

Surely it's time to accept the age of reason, the enlightenment, and consign all religious belief to the dustbin of history.

What I really don't get is why this priest isn't locked up but instead giving the funeral rites for this nun he killed?

Urethra Franklin said:
Surely it's time to accept the age of reason, the enlightenment, and consign all religious belief to the dustbin of history.

Yes this was incredibly wrong...

But to do away with religion? You have NO understanding...

Quertol said:
Yes this was incredibly wrong...

But to do away with religion? You have NO understanding...

I have no understanding? You're the one who can't tell fiction when it slaps you in the face, whether it be the bible or Harry Potter.

Careful with your looking glass honey. If you're called Alice you might just be going on a journey.

shuamort said:
What I really don't get is why this priest isn't locked up but instead giving the funeral rites for this nun he killed?

Perhaps the Pope has intervened? Perhaps this man will become the next Pope? Perhaps the illicit murder perpetrated by the Vatican no longer satisfies them, and they're out to commit some very public murder?

Urethra Franklin said:
I have no understanding? You're the one who can't tell fiction when it slaps you in the face, whether it be the bible or Harry Potter.

Careful with your looking glass honey. If you're called Alice you might just be going on a journey.

I'm not looking with jaded vision, unlike others on this forum...

You have yourself so wrapped up in your own ways that you can no longer see the Truth...

You truly lack understanding...

Sad it is...

Quertol said:
I'm not looking with jaded vision, unlike others on this forum...

You have yourself so wrapped up in your own ways that you can no longer see the Truth...

You truly lack understanding...

Sad it is...

My opinions are my opinions. You can agree or disagree.
I'm not arrogant enough to believe that they're the Truth with a capital T.
That's what's sad, and dangerous, about you religious folk. Next you'll be teling me you'll pray for my soul :roll:

Urethra Franklin said:
My opinions are my opinions. You can agree or disagree.
I'm not arrogant enough to believe that they're the Truth with a capital T.
That's what's sad, and dangerous, about you religious folk. Next you'll be teling me you'll pray for my soul :roll:

Sure I'll pray for you... It would seem that you need the Love of Christ in your life...

Urethra Franklin said:
Please, don't bother.

What an arrogant assumption.

Not an arrogant assumption...

you need to know that unless you get saved you will spend an eternity in hell... Jesus Christ loves you, but your sin sepeartes you from Him...

galenrox said:
Praying for one's soul is typically a sign of love, like I pray for people I love when they're going through rough times, and apparently a lot of people prayed for me.
Most religious folk have some doubt, but just the doubt that comes with anything based on faith. It's sort of like, right now, I am at work, and my girlfriend could be having an affair right now, but I have faith that she's not, and of course there's a level of doubt, but that's just the doubt because I can't be 100% sure of where she is. You get my drift?
I think that people who do not think about their religion critically do God a disservice, because God gave us free will, and if we surrender that free will to blindly follow someone just because s/he claims to be speaking for God would lead anyone down the blind man's path eventually. What God wants is for us to love each other unconditionally, just as s/he loves us. Anyone who uses their faith as a justification for hate (or even dislike for that matter), or disdain is misusing it and committing heresy against God.

You have no idea of what it means to be saved, or to be a Christian...

galenrox said:
Praying for one's soul is typically a sign of love, like I pray for people I love when they're going through rough times, and apparently a lot of people prayed for me.

One assumes you only pray for people you know will appreciate it? People you know have a religious belief? Pray away. I would never wish to impinge on that freedom.

What I do object to, is the sheer arrogance of people like Quertol who think they know what's best for others (censorship of children's literature, praying for somebody (s)he knows doesn't want it). Dangerous character.

Quertol said:
Not an arrogant assumption...

you need to know that unless you get saved you will spend an eternity in hell... Jesus Christ loves you, but your sin sepeartes you from Him...

**** me it's Marie Osmond.

Urethra Franklin said:
One assumes you only pray for people you know will appreciate it? People you know have a religious belief? Pray away. I would never wish to impinge on that freedom.

What I do object to, is the sheer arrogance of people like Quertol who think they know what's best for others (censorship of children's literature, praying for somebody (s)he knows doesn't want it). Dangerous character.

Does my praying for you really bother you? Funny! I pray that GOd will get a hold of your heart so that you will turn to Him and not go to Hell...

Urethra Franklin said:
**** me it's Marie Osmond.

Um...No...

But You do need Christ in your life... For a life of sin, there's hell to pay...

galenrox said:
I beg to differ. And I also think that you're out of line in saying that.

Your opinion has been noted...

By what you have writen, is how I came up with that...

Quertol said:
Does my praying for you really bother you? Funny! I pray that GOd will get a hold of your heart so that you will turn to Him and not go to Hell...

You display your weakness by your inability to accept that many think differently, for example their 'god' is called Allah, or Buddah, or they have several gods (Krishna, Ganesh etc.) or that they may believe no god exists.

Yes your praying for me bothers me. I don't want it.
I don't hold any hopes for you to lose your faith, become an atheist or anything else I feel is right. I respect your choices. You don't respect others. You are arrogant and dangerous.

galenrox said:
How so, what did I write that makes you believe that I have no idea about what it means to be a christian?

First of all that we are to not offend others... Christ told us that He was the rock of offense... That means that when the Gospel of Christ is preached, people will be offended...

Quertol said:
First of all that we are to not offend others... Christ told us that He was the rock of offense... That means that when the Gospel of Christ is preached, people will be offended...

When it is preached for those who want to listen, nobody will be offended.

When people like you take it upon themselves to preach what's best for others, people are offended.

You display an "I'm right, you're all wrong" attitude. Suppose I told you to go read Marx because you need him in your life and until you discover the brotherly love that only communism can bring you'll be entrapped in capitalist hell for the rest of your days? I may tell you what I believe, but I won't tell you what you need in your life: that's for you to decide.

Dress it up in any sheep's clothing you like, you are arrogant.
Pray for yourself. You need it more.

galenrox said:
I said nothing about not offending people! I offend people whenever I can! I go out of my way to offend people!
What I said is that we cannot speak from a moral high ground. I know this **** seems played out, but I really think people need to hear this as much as possible, "He who is without sin cast the first stone." As long as we are sinners, which we are, we are in no position to talk down to anyone just because we are of faith and they aren't, because we're all sinners.

I never said that we need to speak down to them... What they need is the Truth spoken to them... They can do whatever they want to with it, but they need it.

Urethra Franklin said:
When it is preached for those who want to listen, nobody will be offended.

When people like you take it upon themselves to preach what's best for others, people are offended.

You display an "I'm right, you're all wrong" attitude. Suppose I told you to go read Marx because you need him in your life and until you discover the brotherly love that only communism can bring you'll be entrapped in capitalist hell for the rest of your days? I may tell you what I believe, but I won't tell you what you need in your life: that's for you to decide.

Dress it up in any sheep's clothing you like, you are arrogant.
Pray for yourself. You need it more.

You are decieved... No one likes the Truth, because the Truth hurts... People need to hear that they need Jesus in their lives... They need to hear that they are sinners on their way to a devil's hell.

If somone were to find the cure for cancer and not tell anyone for fear of being called arrogant, would that be wrong? Certainly! So why is it that when someone has found the cure for sin, that people like to shout "your arrogant"? THe reason is that they know that you have the answer, but that the Truth hurts...

galenrox said:
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but the thing you said that's in question here is when you said "You have NO understanding", which could be interpretted as being arrogant. I also disagree with the idea that religion should be erased, but the idea that you would show her this by saying "You have NO understanding" seems kind of ridiculous to me. You didn't go and explain all of the good that's in religion, but instead, you went and claimed that she lacks something (that she obviously has) that allows a human to be empathetic (which she obviously is).
Now I can't say for sure, but from what I know of her, her belief that religion should be abolished would actually come from her empathy. She's seen how many people have been hurt by zealots, and believes that if religion was gone they would have nothing to use to hurt these people.

That is not accurate... She is spouting the liberal agenda, in which religion, or rather christianity, must be removed... I wouldn't be surprised if she was caught up in the secular humanism movement...

Quertol said:
You are decieved... No one likes the Truth, because the Truth hurts... People need to hear that they need Jesus in their lives... They need to hear that they are sinners on their way to a devil's hell....

Such arrogance doesn't attract people to your god. Far from it, it puts them off.

Quertol said:
If somone were to find the cure for cancer and not tell anyone for fear of being called arrogant, would that be wrong? Certainly! So why is it that when someone has found the cure for sin, that people like to shout "your arrogant"? THe reason is that they know that you have the answer, but that the Truth hurts...

Very poor analogy. People can and do refuse medical treatments - even if they may die as a result. They excercise that thing grown adults have - choice. Most of us can respect other's choices. You don't, and frankly that makes you not very nice.

Quertol said:
That is not accurate... She is spouting the liberal agenda, in which religion, or rather christianity, must be removed... I wouldn't be surprised if she was caught up in the secular humanism movement...

I am not a liberal.
You make misassumptions because you are blinkered.

Back
Top Bottom