• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Portuguese bank halted $1.2 billion transfer of Venezuela funds

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Portuguese bank halted $1.2 billion transfer of Venezuela funds: lawmaker

image.jpg

2/5/19
CARACAS (Reuters) - Portugal-based Novo Banco halted a transfer of $1.2 billion by the government of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro to banks in Uruguay, a Venezuelan legislator said on Tuesday, a day after the opposition denounced what they called the theft of public funds. Opposition leader Juan Guaido, who most European and Western Hemisphere nations have recognized as the country’s legitimate leader, said on Monday that authorities were trying to move up to $1.2 billion to banks in Uruguay. Countries around the world are pressuring Maduro to resign amid a hyperinflationary economic crisis that has led millions to emigrate. His adversaries warn that officials are seeking to drain state coffers ahead of a potential change of government. “They attempted to move Venezuelan government financial assets in Novo Banco in Portugal worth some $1.2 billion toward Uruguayan banks,” said legislator Carlos Paparoni during a congressional session on Tuesday. “I’m pleased to inform the Venezuelan people that this transaction has until now been halted, protecting the resources of all Venezuelans.”

Again, the Maduro government attempts to move money out of Venezuela.

Maduro's trying to secure his "retirement fund".

More financial warfare from the enemies of the Maduro Regime in Venezuela. The request for transfer came not from Maduro but from the Venezuelan Central Bank which is trying to protect Benezuelan assets from being frozen or worse still being given over to the control of an unconstitutional pretender and a rogue National Assembly. This money like the gold frozen in the Bank of England is needed to buy Euros to deal with Venezuela's liquidity/insolvency crisis caused in part by the Maduro Government's mismanagement of Venezuela's economy but also by the financial and economic warfare being waged by the USA and its state and non-state allies against Chavismo since 1998.

No one in Washington, London or Lisbon was talking coup d'etat or using financial and economic warfare to "defend democracy" in Venezuela in the late 1980's and the early 1990's when a right-wing government's mismanagement of the oil industry, the Venezuelan economy and its legendary corruption led to popular riots and the deaths of hundreds (if not thousands) of demonstrators in a brutal crackdown in Caracus by the then Venezuelan government. This today is about ideologically based regime change to punish Veneziela for going off the US Petro-dollar scheme and for twenty years of independent economic nationalism.

Cheers?
Evilroddy.

More financial warfare from the enemies of the Maduro Regime in Venezuela. The request for transfer came not from Maduro but from the Venezuelan Central Bank which is trying to protect Benezuelan assets from being frozen or worse still being given over to the control of an unconstitutional pretender and a rogue National Assembly. This money like the gold frozen in the Bank of England is needed to buy Euros to deal with Venezuela's liquidity/insolvency crisis caused in part by the Maduro Government's mismanagement of Venezuela's economy but also by the financial and economic warfare being waged by the USA and its state and non-state allies against Chavismo since 1998.

No one in Washington, London or Lisbon was talking coup d'etat or using financial and economic warfare to "defend democracy" in Venezuela in the late 1980's and the early 1990's when a right-wing government's mismanagement of the oil industry, the Venezuelan economy and its legendary corruption led to popular riots and the deaths of hundreds (if not thousands) of demonstrators in a brutal crackdown in Caracus by the then Venezuelan government. This today is about ideologically based regime change to punish Veneziela for going off the US Petro-dollar scheme and for twenty years of independent economic nationalism.

Cheers?
Evilroddy.

Citation?

And how do you know this? You're beginning to sound a lot like Fagan.

Citation?

And how do you know this? You're beginning to sound a lot like Fagan.

Rogue Valley:

Regarding the economic and financial warfare which the USA and its state and non-state allies are waging on Venezuela here is an informative article and some supporting documents.

https://grayzoneproject.com/2019/01/...are-venezuela/

Supporting documents:

Beware, this is a document from Wikileaks so US Federal Government employees may be restricted from linking to it. Proceed at your own risk.

https://file.wikileaks.org/file/us-fm3-05-130.pdf

Refer to pp. 159 - 177 for details on economic and financial warfare as part of the US Government's Unconvential Warfare suite of tools.

and from the US Treasury Department:

https://home.treasury.gov/index.php/...releases/sm594

The preamble makes the purpose of the economic and financial warfare being waged very clear.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Rogue Valley:

Regarding the economic and financial warfare which the USA and its state and non-state allies are waging on Venezuela here is an informative article and some supporting documents.

https://grayzoneproject.com/2019/01/...are-venezuela/

Supporting documents:

Beware, this is a document from Wikileaks so US Federal Government employees may be restricted from linking to it. Proceed at your own risk.

https://file.wikileaks.org/file/us-fm3-05-130.pdf

Refer to pp. 159 - 177 for details on economic and financial warfare as part of the US Government's Unconvential Warfare suite of tools.

and from the US Treasury Department:

https://home.treasury.gov/index.php/...releases/sm594

The preamble makes the purpose of the economic and financial warfare being waged very clear.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

So no actual evidence...

So no actual evidence...

Fledermaus:

If one is so invested in a deliberate denial and thus wiffully ignores two documents produced by the US Government relating to unconventional warfare, then yes, I suppose that person would see no evidence. Fortunately such blinkered people are very rare indeed.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Fledermaus:

If one is so invested in a deliberate denial and thus wiffully ignores two documents produced by the US Government relating to unconventional warfare, then yes, I suppose that person would see no evidence. Fortunately such blinkered people are very rare indeed.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Well, if you have evidence feel free to present it.

This is interesting:

Lisbon-based Novo Banco, which is 75 percent-owned by U.S. private equity firm Lone Star Funds, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

from Rogue Valley's linked article.

Then:

https://www.algarvedailynews.com/news/12776-novo-banco-sold-to-us-vulture-fund-lone-star-2

Which informs us that:

After the first, failed attempt to sell the bank - Chinese bidders had not offered enough at just over a billion euros - a new contest was launched and the prize later awarded to a US vulture fund, 'Lone Star' from Texas.

Novo Banco was awarded to the Lone Star fund after higher bidders had been kept at arm’s length by the Bank of Portugal which seemed keen to deal only with the Americans.

The European General Directorate of Competition has decreed that the State, aka taxpayers, can be called on to inject more money if Novo Banco faces serious difficulties in the future and its capital ratios fall below a certain (secret) value.

At the signing ceremony at the head office of the Bank of Portugal, the head of Lone Star for acquisitions in Europe, Donald Quintin, unsurprisingly assured the media that Lone Star "is confident in the future of the Portuguese economy and in Novo Banco."

The Bank of Portugal Governor, Carlos ‘Mr Magoo’ Costa emphasised that with this operation, Novo Banco is "endowed with the necessary means for its business plan that guarantees the maintenance of the bank's relevant role in financing the economy," and then tried to defend his decision of creating the bank in the first place:

"The objective of the BES resolution now has been fulfilled. The continuity of most of the bank’s activity was ensured, depositors did not suffer losses, and the capacity to finance companies and families was preserved."

Many depositors that were duped into switching their guaranteed deposits into high-risk associated company bonds will not agree with Costa’s carefully selected words, designed for a breezy sound-bite while hiding the appalling and fraudulent way that BES was managed under the myopic regulatory eye of the Bank of Portugal.

So the Chinese offer to buy the BES (now Novo Banco) was turned down because the Chinese didn't provide enough capital injections and better offers for Portugal and stockholders by other potential buyers were turned down too. The Texas based Lone Star Fund won a 75% controlling interest by providing less capitalisation than the Chinese however. Depositors were duped into allowing their deposits to be transferred into the new bank.

This stinks from the get go. The bank is Portuguese in name only and being owned by a Texas-based private equity fund which has a greater than 50% ownership in the bank, it is subject to the dictates of Executive Order # 13850 which I linked to in a previous post.

This is likely the patient and insidious 'invisible hand' of US Government financial warfare ensnaring Venezuelan assets in 2017 in order to be ready to seize them later, while claiming it was a decision taken by a foreign bank. The next step is to find out who the governors/ board of directors are for the vulture financial firm Lone Star Fund.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Last edited:
In unrelated news the founder and owner of the Lone Star Funds, John Grayken, owns Pyrford Court, the mansion featured as the home of the young anti-Christ Damien Thorn in the 1976 movie The Omen! Ominous? ;)

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Last edited:

I asked you for a citation regarding your claim below.....

The request for transfer came not from Maduro but from the Venezuelan Central Bank which is trying to protect Benezuelan assets from being frozen or worse still being given over to the control of an unconstitutional pretender and a rogue National Assembly.

So far, I have seen no proof from you on the above. Just obscure websites. Once again, demonstrate with valid, known, and reputable links where the money transfer order originated, and how you know that Maduro had nothing whatsoever to do with it.

You can't just be tossing claims in here protecting Maduro and castigating the US/EU and a dozen Latin nations without some valid basis in reality.

Are you Fagan-Lite, or do you have credible evidences?

I asked you for a citation regarding your claim below.....

So far, I have seen no proof from you on the above. Just obscure websites. Once again, demonstrate with valid, known, and reputable links where the money transfer order originated, and how you know that Maduro had nothing whatsoever to do with it.

You can't just be tossing claims in here protecting Maduro and castigating the US/EU and a dozen Latin nations without some valid basis in reality.

Are you Fagan-Lite, or do you have credible evidences?

Rogue Valley:

As requested:

Venezuela attempted to ship $1.2 billion to Uruguayan affiliates via Portugal?s Novo Banco | The Greek Observer

A Venezuelan legislator exposed the foiled attempt of Venezuelan authorities to transfer $1.2 billion to Uruguayan bank accounts on Tuesday. The designated tranche would originally circumvent international sanctions being in place against Venezuelan financial entities. The tranche would arrive at first into a proxy account at the Portuguese financial institution Novo Banco from the Venezuelan state bank Bandes. From there a second proxy transfer would finalise the shifting of funds from Bandes to its subsidiary financial entity in Uruguay.

The Venezuelan State Bank made the request.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

The Greek Observer?

C'mon man. Give me the NYT, WAPO, CNN, RFE, BBC, Reuters, etc.

The Greek Observer?

C'mon man. Give me the NYT, WAPO, CNN, RFE, BBC, Reuters, etc.

Rogue Valley:

All the media outlets which you have listed above with the exception of Reuters are closely aligned to the United States' and Britain's national interests and are therefore likely interested parties in the Venezuelan coup attempt by the National Assembly. The Greek Observer is one of the very few sources, along with the other one I posted above, that gives the details of the attempted transaction in English. There are some more reports in Portuguese and while I can follow their general meaning, I lack the language skills to analyse the more nuanced facts and observations in Portuguese. Translation programmes make it even more opaque and garbled so I don't want to go out on a limb only to have that limb sawed out from under me by a fluent Portuguese reader who catches meanings which I can't.

So I have provided what evidence I have available. Now the ball is in your court. Prove that the Greek Observer is incorrect in its reporting of the attempted transaction with a source other than one quoting a member of the Venezuelan National Assembly which itself is conspiring with foreign states and entities to incite mutiny and to overthrow practically the whole government of Venezuela and not just the sitting president.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Cheers?
Evilroddy.

How many Petros do you get paid for such posts?

How many Petros do you get paid for such posts?

SDET:

None. I am not beholden to anyone or any institution. I just like knowing and reporting all facts in a situation so that I and others can make better informed decisions about what is going on in world events.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

All the media outlets which you have listed above with the exception of Reuters are closely aligned to the United States' and Britain's national interests and are therefore likely interested parties in the Venezuelan coup attempt by the National Assembly.

Conspiracy. Okay. Gotcha.

thumb_caution-tin-foil-hat-area-5606129.png

Conspiracy. Okay. Gotcha.

thumb_caution-tin-foil-hat-area-5606129.png

Rogue Valley:

Not conspiracy theory peddling but rather skepticism of the built-in biases and corporate connections held by much of corporate media and its employees. I don't automatically trust any news outlet. Instead I read to verify or falsify by seeking out as many sources of information and analysis as are needed to fully understand an issue from the many sides of that issue. So you can hold on to your standard-issue tin-foil hat meme and bestow it on someone more deserving. I have given you sources to back up my arguments. Your rebuttal with silly memes is not persuasive in my opinion. So I'll wait until you can find and post a source that shows me that the Greek Observer got it wrong about the "Bandes" State Bank of Venezuela being the initiating entity in the aborted transaction to Uraguay. Until then meme all you wish but don't fool yourself into thinking that that is an effective debating strategy, because it is not.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Rogue Valley:

Not conspiracy theory peddling but rather skepticism of the built-in biases and corporate connections held by much of corporate media and its employees. I don't automatically trust any news outlet. Instead I read to verify or falsify by seeking out as many sources of information and analysis as are needed to fully understand an issue from the many sides of that issue. So you can hold on to your standard-issue tin-foil hat meme and bestow it on someone more deserving. I have given you sources to back up my arguments. Your rebuttal with silly memes is not persuasive in my opinion. So I'll wait until you can find and post a source that shows me that the Greek Observer got it wrong about the "Bandes" State Bank of Venezuela being the initiating entity in the aborted transaction to Uraguay. Until then meme all you wish but don't fool yourself into thinking that that is an effective debating strategy, because it is not.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

You are wasting your time, He rejects all sources that do not back him, he even refused to accept the un official body on chemical weapons as a source on chemical weapons in syria, and wanted a source that repeats rebel claims without verifying them instead, signalling he had no intention of seeking sources of truth but rather any source that backs up what he believes.

It would be on par with cnn msnbc etc posting something bad about trump but someone else demanding a source be fox news knowing they would either not bring it up or minimalize it.

You are wasting your time, He rejects all sources that do not back him

Says the Putin loyalist/sympathizer who couldn't/wouldn't produce a citation when pressed to do so.

You know, I honestly hope Trump pulls a Dubya on Venezuela. We'll see Trump taken down by an accelerated investigation and tanking poll numbers. He may think it will get him reelected, but I think after Bush, someone like Trump pulling the same thing would put the world on course to passing out from being so angry it forgot to breathe...

To be entirely honest though, I hope there can be a transition of gov't that is peaceful and without the U.S. meddling further in geopolitical affairs militarily.

Back
Top Bottom