• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Portland Voters Reject Non-Citizen Voting

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
I find it disturbing that only 52% voted against this. Non-citizens regardless if they are here legally or not should not be allowed to vote.

Portland Voters Reject Non-Citizen Voting

The measure was defeated by a vote of 52 to 48 percent.

Voters in Maine's largest city have rejected a measure that would have allowed legal non-citizens to vote in municipal elections.

The proposal was rejected by a vote of 52 to 48 percent. Proponents of the measure said legal immigrants who are not yet citizens pay taxes and participate in the community in other ways, and should thus be allowed to vote in local races.

I wouldn't vote for such a measure, but I respect the right of communities to decide for themselves on the issue. Local citizens should decide who gets to vote in local elections.

What if a large portion of the residents weren't citizens yet lived there payed taxes there... shouldn't they have a say?

What if a large portion of the residents weren't citizens yet lived there payed taxes there... shouldn't they have a say?

assuming non-citizens can pay income taxes.

Yes, they do. Permanent residents pay all the same taxes that US citizens do. And I think (but I'm not positive) that even temporary residents on work visas pay all the same taxes as well...although they might be exempt from payroll taxes.

I agree that permanent residents should be allowed to vote in local elections. I don't think that's asking too much. They live, work, pray, pay taxes, and send their kids to school in the community just as much as US citizens do. Seems that they have just as much of a stake in their community as anyone else.

What if a large portion of residents who were there illegally lived there and paid taxes...shouldn't they have a say?

Yes, they do. Permanent residents pay all the same taxes that US citizens do. And I think (but I'm not positive) that even temporary residents on work visas pay all the same taxes as well...although they might be exempt from payroll taxes.

I agree that permanent residents should be allowed to vote in local elections. I don't think that's asking too much. They live, work, pray, pay taxes, and send their kids to school in the community just as much as US citizens do. Seems that they have just as much of a stake in their community as anyone else.

The same thing could be said about illegals and I am sure some internationalist/globalist scumbag piece of **** could try to get them the right to vote using your logic.

Actually, I personally know quite a few non-citizens who pay more in taxes yearly than many people do over a lifetime because they own very succesfull businesses.

In the realm of hundreds of thousands of dollars paid into taxes per year.

There are also those non-citizens like my cousin, an immigrant who lives in New York, who makes over $100,000 per year. While he doesn't own his own business, he pays more per year in taxes than the many American citizens make as an income per year. Ironically, from my experience it is those American citizens who pay jack **** in taxes and essentially leech the system the most who are also doing the most complaining about the contributions of non-citizens. Go figure.

Not to mention its totally impossible to live in this country without paying taxes. Even illegals getting paid cash are paying some taxes.

It's not like the "Taxation without representation" battle cry was based on income tax.

All that being said, I agree that a person should have to be a citizen before they can vote. Taxation without representation applied to situations where someone form outside came in and took taxes from people without their consent. Non-citizens living in the US consent to being taxed by the US as a trade-off for their increased earning potential. They waive their right to representation by knowingly earning their income in a place where they have no representation. They can gain representation by seeking citizenship or by returning to their country of origin (if it is a democratic country).

They should have to take steps to show that they are loyal to the country they live in before they should be allowed to help pick it's government. The only way to do this is by "joining" that country in full as a citizen.

Last edited:
The same thing could be said about illegals and I am sure some internationalist/globalist scumbag piece of **** could try to get them the right to vote using your logic.

Sounds like you're more interested in hurling insults than actually discussing the policy, so this is where I bow out of the thread. :2wave:

Sounds like you're more interested in hurling insults than actually discussing the policy, so this is where I bow out of the thread. :2wave:

So you are saying that they wouldn't use your logic to allow illegals the right to vote?

I find it disturbing that only 52% voted against this. Non-citizens regardless if they are here legally or not should not be allowed to vote.

It's Portland! One of the most Libbo cities in the country.

How about barring people who don't pay taxes from voting?

No taxation without representation?

Sorry Liberal but we have a little thing called sovereignty and if you are as Anti-American as Obama and want illegal scum voting here you need to shipped out with them.

California allows the scumbag illegals to register and vote and Arizona now does too.

Time to ship them back to where ever they are from. Round them up now. I'd pay more in taxes to get rid of them, once and for all.

No I'm not a bigot I'm pro-American anti-Infiltrators and illegals 110%.

They are illegal to hire so they should pay no taxes. Kick them the hell out, we owe them nothing for taking our jobs, going to our hospitals etc.

If you want to reward them you too are useless Anti-American and should take off to someplace where they welcome your ilk.

Last edited:
Sorry Liberal but we have a little thing called sovereignty and if you are as Anti-American as Obama and want illegal scum voting here you need to shipped out with them.

Jesus Boy. Do you even read what you post? Clearly you have no idea what a GREEN CARD is. Much less a skilled worker Visa. Or a foreign student Visa. Two of which are guaranteed to pay some form of income tax and the third to likely pay state local sales tax.

Time to ship them back to where ever they are from. Round them up now. I'd pay more in taxes to get rid of them, once and for all.

So let's kick out all of our green card holding residents, all of our skilled worker visa holders, and all of our foreign students on visas?
Jesus Boy. Think before you post.

No I'm not a bigot I'm pro-American anti-Infiltrators and illegals 110%.

See above. There's a thing called Google. I suggest you start using it before you post.

They are illegal to hire so they should pay no taxes. Kick them the hell out, we owe them nothing for taking our jobs, going to our hospitals etc.

I wasn't aware that legal non-citizen residents are illegals. Care to point out how a green card holder who pays taxes is an illegal?

How about barring people who don't pay taxes from voting?

we have too much representation without taxation. Those are the people who are most likely to howl for tax hikes on "the rich"

Everyone pays taxes.

Not the kind that are the subject of political campaigning--not the kind that pays for most of the social services.
IE the Federal Income Tax

Actually, I personally know quite a few non-citizens who pay more in taxes yearly than many people do over a lifetime because they own very succesfull businesses.

In the realm of hundreds of thousands of dollars paid into taxes per year.

There are also those non-citizens like my cousin, an immigrant who lives in New York, who makes over $100,000 per year. While he doesn't own his own business, he pays more per year in taxes than the many American citizens make as an income per year. Ironically, from my experience it is those American citizens who pay jack **** in taxes and essentially leech the system the most who are also doing the most complaining about the contributions of non-citizens. Go figure.

Not to mention its totally impossible to live in this country without paying taxes. Even illegals getting paid cash are paying some taxes.

It's not like the "Taxation without representation" battle cry was based on income tax.

All that being said, I agree that a person should have to be a citizen before they can vote. Taxation without representation applied to situations where someone form outside came in and took taxes from people without their consent. Non-citizens living in the US consent to being taxed by the US as a trade-off for their increased earning potential. They waive their right to representation by knowingly earning their income in a place where they have no representation. They can gain representation by seeking citizenship or by returning to their country of origin (if it is a democratic country).

They should have to take steps to show that they are loyal to the country they live in before they should be allowed to help pick it's government. The only way to do this is by "joining" that country in full as a citizen.

Well, remember, this didn't call for non-citizens to be able to vote on the federal or state level, only on the local level.

How would you feel about a local position that addresses the issues of non-citizens on the local level who doesn't have any parliamentary powers? An alderman that all non-citizens can vote for to address the local government on their concerns but doesn't have an ability to affect votes? Would you be against that?

we have too much representation without taxation. Those are the people who are most likely to howl for tax hikes on "the rich"

I agree with you there. I would not have a problem with a Starship Troopers like government described by Henlein. Voting only open to veterans with a small government.

I agree with you there. I would not have a problem with a Starship Troopers like government described by Henlein. Voting only open to veterans with a small government.

SERVICE GUARANTEES CITIZENSHIP

some reviewer called the movie (I read the book but more years ago then I will confess to!) the ultimate fascist fantasy rivaling Leni Reifenstahl's The Triumph of the Will. All that was missing was Doogie Howser in his Himmler leather duster saying to the brain bug

VE HAVE VAYS TO MAKE YOU TALK BUG!!

Back
Top Bottom