• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Portland police chief calls for elected officials to act to stop violence in city

dcsports

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Portland protests: Police chief calls for elected officials to act to stop violence in city - CNN

Portland's police chief slammed the mayor and other city officials Tuesday as the Oregon city prepared for its almost 100th consecutive day of protests.

Chief Chuck Lovell said gun violence is skyrocketing in Portland and some 911 calls are going unanswered. "This is impacting the safety of our entire city and urgent action is needed. Our elected officials need to do their part to draw a line in the sand and to hold people accountable," he said. "The violent behavior must end."

Acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf on Monday issued a stern warning to Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler, saying that the federal government "will have no choice but to protect our American citizens" if unrest continues.
"Due to a lack of action throughout the summer, Portland and its law-abiding residents continue to suffer from large-scale looting, arson, and vandalism -- even killing," Wolf said in a letter urging Wheeler to accept federal law enforcement assistance. "Businesses remain shuttered and Portlanders are held hostage by the daily violence that has gripped the city with no end in sight."

Wheeler on Tuesday accused Wolf of "grandstanding." "Yet again, the President and his appointees refuse to take accountability for their role in the divisiveness and violence occurring around our country." "While I am incredibly disheartened that the president is actively working against peace and progress in our community, I am committed to doing my part as Mayor to advance racial justice and restore peace," Wheeler added.

The mayor declined President Donald Trump's assistance in a letter last week.

Now even Portland's police chief is calling out the mayor. Other state and nearby local agencies refused to send their people into Portland, because of the local policies which have allowed the violence to continue. And Mayor Wheeler is still stuck on blaming others.

Portland protests: Police chief calls for elected officials to act to stop violence in city - CNN

Now even Portland's police chief is calling out the mayor. Other state and nearby local agencies refused to send their people into Portland, because of the local policies which have allowed the violence to continue. And Mayor Wheeler is still stuck on blaming others.

The levels of stupidity and hypocrisy demonstrated by Portland's elected officials seems to point toward the same level of stupidity and hypocrisy among Portland residents.

I suppose we'll know more after the next election.

Can the good folks of Portland really be THIS stupid?

lol.... It's Trumps America.... Trump- Ok, I'll come in a shut it down...... Portland... We don't want you here. WTF?

2773619125b1bbbfae509eeb8625e887.jpg

{failed attempt to deflect}

Portland is a beautiful city with a lot of great people. It's a shame that these groups are tarnishing that image with nightly violence, and the mayor is allowing it to continue.

man, we really need a national leader.

we are without a head coach at the moment. hopefully that gets fixed.

Elected officials can get the violence to stop by implementing actual reform to police departments.

In other news that the right would rather not talk about.

COVID cases

United States

Total cases: 6.09M

Deaths: 185K

COVID cases

United States

"Change the subject. Quick!!"

COVID cases

United States

Happy to talk about those topics on the appropriate thread. I take it you would rather avoid this topic?

Happy to talk about those topics on the appropriate thread. I take it you would rather avoid this topic?

No, I'm suggesting you'd rather avoid my topic and that's what this thread is really about. And that's why Trump wants the protests front and center.

No, I'm suggesting you'd rather avoid my topic and that's what this thread is really about. And that's why Trump wants the protests front and center.

lol - lots of threads on covid-19. A whole section on it. I've commented on a lot of those threads, thanks. This thread is not about covid-19.

Any comments on the topic?

Any comments on the topic?

Yes, the law and order angle is being used by Trump and the right to deflect from the real issue, COVID 19, which is killing 1000+ Americans a day. How many are dying in Portland a day?

Has the Portland police chief tried not actively working with Patriot Prayer and other right wing terrorist organizations?

I'm sure yours is a common sentiment among people disgusted by this terrible mayor.

i'd say my sentiment is shared by millions more American voters.

Has the Portland police chief tried not actively working with Patriot Prayer and other right wing terrorist organizations?

?

It's not right wing groups that are causing the problems.

3rd quote balloon in OP said:
Wheeler on Tuesday accused Wolf of "grandstanding." "Yet again, the President and his appointees refuse to take accountability for their role in the divisiveness and violence occurring around our country." "While I am incredibly disheartened that the president is actively working against peace and progress in our community, I am committed to doing my part as Mayor to advance racial justice and restore peace," Wheeler added.

The mayor declined President Donald Trump's assistance in a letter last week.

It looks like Chad Wolf was named acting secretary for a reason. Time to call his bluff.

Elected officials can get the violence to stop by implementing actual reform to police departments.

We also need a leader who doesn’t consider violence and violent actors a matter of partisan politics, and we need a leader would never be capable of taking sides with violent actors. We need a leader above violence and partisanship.

Back
Top Bottom