• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Portland mayor says he’ll move after protest outside his condo building draws arrests, widespread ca

Lutherf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Portland mayor says he’ll move after protest outside his condo building draws arrests, widespread calls for change - oregonlive.com

In an email Tuesday from Wheeler to other residents of the 16-floor high-rise tower, the mayor said it would be “best for me and for everyone else’s safety and peace” that he finds a new home. He assured people that police are taking their safety concerns seriously and invited them to a Thursday evening meeting that will include himself and officers to voice their concerns.

So, Ted, you appeased the vandals when they took over your city. You opposed efforts to stop the vandals when they were attacking federal property. You blame Trump for the violence even though he took steps to stop it AND backed the federal troops out when you requested that he do so. Now you are moving because of the protesters and a certain level of concern for your neighbors. How nice of you, Ted. I'll be sending you a picture of Neville Chamberlain for Christmas.

Re: Portland mayor says he’ll move after protest outside his condo building draws arrests, widespr

Even more evidence, Portland... a true case study in what not to do with a city.

Re: Portland mayor says he’ll move after protest outside his condo building draws arrests, widespr

Wheeler should have read up on the French Revolution before he decided to let the insurgency run wild.

So the Democratic Portland mayor is joining others in fleeing Portland to flee his own (lack of) leadership?

Portland mayor says he’ll move after protest outside his condo building draws arrests, widespread calls for change - oregonlive.com
So, Ted, you appeased the vandals when they took over your city. You opposed efforts to stop the vandals when they were attacking federal property. You blame Trump for the violence even though he took steps to stop it AND backed the federal troops out when you requested that he do so. Now you are moving because of the protesters and a certain level of concern for your neighbors. How nice of you, Ted. I'll be sending you a picture of Neville Chamberlain for Christmas.

I wonder what new neighborhood will take him and his "peaceful protest followers" with open arms? :lamo

Chances are pretty good he's gonna move into a gated community with a high, solid wall and guards at the entrance.

Wow, just wow. Is this guy even a vertebrate?

I wonder what new neighborhood will take him and his "peaceful protest followers" with open arms? :lamo

Chances are pretty good he's gonna move into a gated community with a high, solid wall and guards at the entrance.

I hope he's got a good buddy to buy his place or else he's going to take a bath on it...like all the other owners will until this rioting stuff gets cleared up.

I'm sure the Republicans would have a field day if Ted Wheeler used his mayoral powers to hire private security, or to block off the street like Lori Lightfoot did. But Ted Wheeler is a little too smart for that apparently.

I'm sure the Republicans would have a field day if Ted Wheeler used his mayoral powers to hire private security, or to block off the street like Lori Lightfoot did. But Ted Wheeler is a little too smart for that apparently.

Yeah ... we know; he's just gonna hide under a rock instead. :lol:

Yeah ... we know; he's just gonna hide under a rock instead. :lol:

Still better than being cast as an authoritarian. Which is exactly why Republicans want the Democrats to crack down harshly, so they'll lose political support. Which is exactly why the Democrats won't do it.

Armed guards.

Still better than being cast as an authoritarian. Which is exactly why Republicans want the Democrats to crack down harshly, so they'll lose political support. Which is exactly why the Democrats won't do it.

Yes; the excellent leadership of that democrat mayor is exemplary: retreat and cower. ;)

Protecting the rights of law abiding citizens is their job, not authoratarianism. They took an oath to do so.

Protecting the rights of law abiding citizens is their job, not authoratarianism. They took an oath to do so.

You have a point. Protesting is a right too, which must be protected. The mayor has to balance that right against other rights.

It's interesting that a guy that can afford an $800,000 condo can just pick up and move when the mess he's made gets too much for even him to bear but how a whole lot of his constituents can't do that. They, unlike "Ted The Magnanimous", can't afford to both take a bath on selling the property they own and buy a new place.

Yes; the excellent leadership of that democrat mayor is exemplary: retreat and cower. ;)

Sometimes retreat is the best option available, and I agree with the decision in this case. From a political standpoint, it was the correct thing to do.

It's interesting that a guy that can afford an $800,000 condo can just pick up and move when the mess he's made gets too much for even him to bear but how a whole lot of his constituents can't do that. They, unlike "Ted The Magnanimous", can't afford to both take a bath on selling the property they own and buy a new place.

What, suddenly you care about wealth inequality? I'm not sure I believe that.

America is a fundamentally unjust place. I know it, and maybe you do too.

What a pathetic man. Not only is he the mayor but also the police commissioner. The poor police department has been dealing with this violence for nearly 100 days. They have to be exhausted. They arrest people only to have the DA refuse to prosecute them. As of the middle of August, there had been over 500 arrests since the start of this unrest but the DA will not prosecute most of them. The governor asked sheriff departments for assistance they declined because of the revolving door at the DA. But the good news today is the U.S. Marshall has deputized the Oregon State police. If they arrest anyone rioting, it becomes a federal prosecution.

You have a point. Protesting is a right too, which must be protected. The mayor has to balance that right against other rights.

There are no peaceable protests anymore. There's nothing to balance.

What a creampuff louse this poor excuse of a mayor this Ted Wheeler turned out to be. He disgraces the proud surname of Wheeler.

One thing I know for sure is he could never trace his bloodline back to the likes of 'Fighten Joe" Wheeler.

'Fightin' Joe Wheeler who is memorialized with a statue in Capital Hall & of course deserves one.
A top confederate general he became longtime congressman from Alabama in the postwar years,
before he donned the US arny blue once again as a major general in the war with Spain.

There are no peaceable protests anymore. There's nothing to balance.

That's not true, there have been peaceful protests every day.

There have been riots every day. That's a fact.

If Biden is actually elected and the country falls completely apart from REAL lack of leadership, think he'll vacate the White House?.......Na, he'll just blame everything on Trump. Just like now,

Not in the USA the peaceful protests every day you speak about you realize have been in Moldova a few
continents away!

This is humorous and a bizarre, sad way.

The mayor of Portland saying, "I don't know about you people, but I'm getting the hell out of this town!"

Back
Top Bottom