• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operate

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
So when Multnomah County shut down an enterprise last week for operating without a license, you might just sigh and say, there they go again.

Except this entrepreneur was a 7-year-old named Julie Murphy. Her business was a lemonade stand at the Last Thursday monthly art fair in Northeast Portland. The government regulation she violated? Failing to get a $120 temporary restaurant license.

Turns out that kids' lemonade stands -- those constants of summertime -- are supposed to get a permit in Oregon, particularly at big events that happen to be patrolled regularly by county health inspectors.

Ahh big government, out to protect you from HARM!

After 20 minutes, a "lady with a clipboard" came over and asked for their license. When Fife explained they didn't have one, the woman told them they would need to leave or possibly face a $500 fine.

Surprised, Fife started to pack up. The people staffing the booths next to them encouraged the two to stay, telling them the inspectors had no right to kick them out of the neighborhood gathering. They also suggested that they give away the lemonade and accept donations instead and one of them made an announcement to the crowd to support the lemonade stand.

That's when business really picked up -- and two inspectors came back, Fife said. Julie started crying, while her mother packed up and others confronted the inspectors. "It was a very big scene," Fife said.
Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operate | OregonLive.com

Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

Technically, any lemonade stand -- even one on your front lawn -- must be licensed under state law, said Eric Pippert, the food-borne illness prevention program manager for the state's public health division. But county inspectors are unlikely to go after kids selling lemonade on their front lawn unless, he conceded, their front lawn happens to be on Alberta Street during Last Thursday.

"When you go to a public event and set up shop, you're suddenly engaging in commerce," he said. "The fact that you're small-scale I don't think is relevant."

Kawaguchi, who oversees the two county inspectors involved, said they must be fair and consistent in their monitoring, no matter the age of the person. "Our role is to protect the public," he said.

That's the part that makes me want to kick him in the nuts.

It's a little girl, selling freaking lemonade you dip****. Go bother some dirty slop house of a restaurant and QUIT PICKIN ON LITTLE KIDS.

Re: Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operat

Dudes' a dick for doing this. Does he not realize that most lemonade stands already waste more money than they spend?

Dudes' a dick for doing this. Does he not realize that most lemonade stands already waste more money than they spend?

Stupid is as stupid does.

I blame Obama

Link

lemonade.jpg

Torsten Kjellstrand / The Oregonian

Seven-year-old Julie Murphy of Oregon City still smiles about her enterprise despite running afoul of county inspectors for an unlicensed lemonade stand at Last Thursday.

It's hardly unusual to hear small-business owners gripe about licensing requirements or complain that heavy-handed regulations are driving them into the red.
So when Multnomah County shut down an enterprise last week for operating without a license, you might just sigh and say, there they go again.
Except this entrepreneur was a 7-year-old named Julie Murphy. Her business was a lemonade stand at the Last Thursday monthly art fair in Northeast Portland. The government regulation she violated? Failing to get a $120 temporary restaurant license.
Turns out that kids' lemonade stands -- those constants of summertime -- are supposed to get a permit in Oregon, particularly at big events that happen to be patrolled regularly by county health inspectors.

....Even so, Julie was careful about making the lemonade, cleaning her hands with hand sanitizer, using a scoop for the bagged ice and keeping everything covered when it wasn't in use, Fife said.

After 20 minutes, a "lady with a clipboard" came over and asked for their license. When Fife explained they didn't have one, the woman told them they would need to leave or possibly face a $500 fine.

Surprised, Fife started to pack up. The people staffing the booths next to them encouraged the two to stay, telling them the inspectors had no right to kick them out of the neighborhood gathering. They also suggested that they give away the lemonade and accept donations instead and one of them made an announcement to the crowd to support the lemonade stand.

THIS IS LIBERALISM, right here. This is it! Liberal ideology beating up on a 7 year old. Total and utter bull****; a lady with a clipboard!!!!

Last edited:

Threads merged.

THIS IS LIBERALISM, right here. This is it! Liberal ideology beating up on a 7 year old. Total and utter bull****; a lady with a clipboard!!!!

I blame Obama too

This is what happens when you make law-making a full-time job. They think they need to pass laws to make it look like they are doing something, then they start doing their tweakings and you know how it goes when you continuously try to tweak your car or your computer, something is bound to break... In this case, common sense.....

Lemonade stands are stupid, and any parent that let's their kids do it are setting them up for failure. Want to teach your kids about economics? Do what the kids do now. In Madison, IN they have a bunch of crafts festivals and stuff all the time, and a lot of people will sell a can of Coke for 75 cents.

Go to Kroger's buy 5 24 packs (roughly totals out to about $22) and sell them at 50 cents to undercut the other person. In total the kid makes about $38 profit. Was it legal? I dunno but it was my g/fs "sweet" "innocent looking" 10 year old sister doing it, so no one ever questioned it during the hustle and bustle of the festival.

I'm glad they shut down her lemonade stand. After all, most businesses require a license to do business in this country. There are many reasons for this, the biggest of which concerns public safety. So if a kid wants to open up a lemonade stand, or any other kind of business, I think they should be required to get a business license.

How I think it should work is that anyone who is under the age of 16 should be required to apply for a special business license. This business license should be maybe $5. When the kid applies for it, they are given pamphlets that lists their duties and responsibilities as a business owner, including liabilities and work practices that are safe for them and their customers.

This way, getting a business license can be an educational experience for them when they get older. After all, when adults start a business, they not only have to get a business license, there's also other paperwork required, such as applying to be an LLC or a corporation of some kind. Let's teach them, as kids, the responsibilities and requirements involved in doing sol.

So I say let's teach these kids the realities of running a business and what it takes to start one up.

I'm glad they shut down her lemonade stand. After all, most businesses require a license to do business in this country. There are many reasons for this, the biggest of which concerns public safety. So if a kid wants to open up a lemonade stand, or any other kind of business, I think they should be required to get a business license.

How I think it should work is that anyone who is under the age of 16 should be required to apply for a special business license. This business license should be maybe $5. When the kid applies for it, they are given pamphlets that lists their duties and responsibilities as a business owner, including liabilities and work practices that are safe for them and their customers.

This way, getting a business license can be an educational experience for them when they get older. After all, when adults start a business, they not only have to get a business license, there's also other paperwork required, such as applying to be an LLC or a corporation of some kind. Let's teach them, as kids, the responsibilities and requirements involved in doing sol.

So I say let's teach these kids the realities of running a business and what it takes to start one up.

Dude, it's a ****ing lemonade stand.
Those kids probably didn't make $5.

Waste of time and waste of effort to file for a license for 1 day event.

Edit: Teaching kids that they must take a loss in taxes before they can even begin to turn a profit would be a good idea.
Hopefully they will learn that there is no real need to license a lot of businesses.

Last edited:

Apparently the County and clip board lady was eventually seen as an overbearing act of stupidity - the apology is out.

Apology after girl's lemonade stand shut down - Yahoo! News

Glad officials finally see how unreasonable and ignorant shutting down a little girls lemonade stand was and is. Who hires these idiots working for government and where do they come from? The Pol Pot School of heavy handed oppression?

What matter if she gives a few people food poisoning, America can never have too much Koolade.

What matter if she gives a few people food poisoning, America can never have too much Koolade.

People get food poisoning every day from licensed and inspected restaurants in every state in every town in the U.S. A $120 piece of paper won't change that - and according to the story --- clipboard lady wasn't taking samples to check for cleanliness or food poisoning, she was checking for the $120 piece of paper... so food poisoning is irrelevant.

People get food poisoning every day from licensed and inspected restaurants in every state in every town in the U.S. A $120 piece of paper won't change that - and according to the story --- clipboard lady wasn't taking samples to check for cleanliness or food poisoning, she was checking for the $120 piece of paper... so food poisoning is irrelevant.

The UI's buy into the false notion this is about "public safety", most of us know better then that.

Another case of selective enforcement. Can't have a kid selling lemonade without a license, its the law. It's ok to enter the US illegally, it's the law but the govt. will only do token enforcement. Heck, when I was growing up kids sold lemonade, mowed lawns, etc, to earn some spending money. Ah, the good old days.

Food for thought, a while back a bunch of kids got in trouble for selling lemonade... of course it was mainly because they were peeing in the big jug of lemonade and then selling it super cheap as some weird ****ed up prank.

I would add that on top of the business license, she should also pay an additional fee to help defray the cost of the woman whose job it is to regulate lemonade stands, and maybe additional union dues to ensure that any employees she hires don't get screwed and have adequate healthcare.

I would add that on top of the business license, she should also pay an additional fee to help defray the cost of the woman whose job it is to regulate lemonade stands, and maybe additional union dues to ensure that any employees she hires don't get screwed and have adequate healthcare.

yeah, government clipboards aren't cheap these days....

Don't forget tax enforcement officials.
Can't dodge those you naughty person you. :no:

That's the part that makes me want to kick him in the nuts.

It's a little girl, selling freaking lemonade you dip****. Go bother some dirty slop house of a restaurant and QUIT PICKIN ON LITTLE KIDS.

Christ on a crutch, I'm thanking MrVicchio. :lol:

Seriously, though, that was bull****.

Oh, take your BS somewhere else, try selling lemonade instead.

This isn't liberalism, this is senseless bureaucracy, a crime which BOTH sides of the isle are guilty of.

Back
Top Bottom