• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Portland gas station attendant refused to sell gas to Black man over protest fires, lawsuit claims

I found this kind of interesting... food for thought here. Note that the customer was asking to put gas in a plastic container (not a car) to use for his lawnmower.

I could understand a gas station in downtown Portland having a policy to not put gas in containers - but that wasn't the issue here. The attendant apparently came up with that on his own (according to the owner). However, suing the gas station for $375K of damages is ridiculous, especially after the owner fired the attendant and apologized on the same day.
i don't see where he was denied service over his skin color.

Ever since the lady who clumsily spilled coffee on herself at McDonalds got $ 2.86 million dollars.
That was a good decision by the court.
It's a myth that she didn't deserve the money.
That coffee was so hot it caused 3rd degree burns and required surgery to repair.

Also she offered to settle with McD for cost of medical care and they refused.

Why the hell do you even need to tell the attendant what you're putting the gas in? Where I live you can do everything pump side or just say to the attendant "20 on 3 please."
There are times when you cannot use your card. I had to go in the other day to pay for gas because something at the pump wasn't working.

She did NOT put it between her legs. She did NOT drive that way, she pulled onto a parking spot. If a cup is SUPERHEATED, and requires the lid to be removed, DUH, you put a wedge, a lip or some device to make it safe. DUH.

The most important thing is, put all onus on individual, not the corp that was warned a HUNDRED TIMES.
She did have it between her legs. She was not driving, her nephew or son was. She put it between her legs and then removed the lid. They were parked though.

Which doesn’t raise any flags for me. I don’t know about Oregon, but in Ohio it’s illegal to pump gas into unauthorized containers.
I don't see anything that says he was trying to use an unauthorized container. Gas cans, which are now normally made of plastic, are available and usually authorized to store gas in. We have two at my house.

In fact, you get a partial picture of the container with the video he filmed, showing the red container that is the one used for gasoline. It also shows that the attendant states it is due to "dumpster fires" being set and him doing his part to prevent that.

Last edited:
That was a good decision by the court.
It's a myth that she didn't deserve the money.
That coffee was so hot it caused 3rd degree burns and required surgery to repair.

Also she offered to settle with McD for cost of medical care and they refused.

The kicker for me was that McDonalds had already received over 600 reports of injury, and settlements of half a million dollars. They clearly knew they had a problem. The defense showed that over 180 degrees the coffee was dangerous to cause burns in seconds. Also, McDonalds had arbitrarily set its temperatures 20 degrees higher than it's competitors with a notion that 'commuters want it hotter' when their own research didn't support it. They couldn't argue that they didn't know there was a problem.

As a side note, this case is why the coffee now comes in the thicker cups with the better lids that are harder to accidentally spill.

The kicker for me was that McDonalds had already received over 600 reports of injury, and settlements of half a million dollars. They clearly knew they had a problem. The defense showed that over 180 degrees the coffee was dangerous to cause burns in seconds. Also, McDonalds had arbitrarily set its temperatures 20 degrees higher than it's competitors with a notion that 'commuters want it hotter' when their own research didn't support it. They couldn't argue that they didn't know there was a problem.

As a side note, this case is why the coffee now comes in the thicker cups with the better lids that are harder to accidentally spill.
Technically, 140 degrees is enough to cause burns and you cannot make coffee without higher temperatures without it tasting awful.

It is best to drink coffee right after it is prepared (at 195-205 degrees) for the best taste. This means that coffee made at home will likely be above the temperature that McDonalds reportedly served its coffee.

This is not strictly true any longer. As I just posted, low-population counties (the eastern half of the state, basically) are no longer required to have expert attendants pump fuel for dumb drivers. Counties with higher populations (the western half) still assume city-folk are just too stupid to safely stick a nozzle into a hole and squeeze a handle. In three counties (Curry, Tillamook, and I can't remember the third but it's immediately north of Tillamook on the south bank of the Columbia River where it discharges into the Pacific) drivers are assumed to be smart enough to not immolate themselves between certain hours of the night, but for some reason their IQ drops precipitously with the dawn and attendants are required to pump during the day.

Why did you call the drivers dumb that use full service? This was never about how dumb a driver was but rather creating jobs.

Why did you call the drivers dumb that use full service? This was never about how dumb a driver was but rather creating jobs.
The law was put in place for safety, but is a holdover from a time when there were fewer cars and gas station pumps didn't have the automation and safety mechanisms that they have today. Part of the justification for keeping it in place is the fear that some unskilled jobs would be lost. It's a pretty inefficient way to 'create jobs'.

Technically, 140 degrees is enough to cause burns and you cannot make coffee without higher temperatures without it tasting awful.

It is best to drink coffee right after it is prepared (at 195-205 degrees) for the best taste. This means that coffee made at home will likely be above the temperature that McDonalds reportedly served its coffee.
After the lockdown led to my working from home, I didn't have access to the coffee at my workplace.
It was an oversight not to have my own system on hand, so I bought something called an Aeropress.

It's instructions say to have the water at 170 degrees when you apply it to the coffee.

Why the hell do you even need to tell the attendant what you're putting the gas in? Where I live you can do everything pump side or just say to the attendant "20 on 3 please."
There are some places where you are not allowed by law to pump gas and it must be pumped by an attendent. Don't know if that's the case here but the entire state of New Jersey is like that I do believe.

After the lockdown led to my working from home, I didn't have access to the coffee at my workplace.
It was an oversight not to have my own system on hand, so I bought something called an Aeropress.

It's instructions say to have the water at 170 degrees when you apply it to the coffee.
I posted this to show that not everyone agrees that 170 is too hot for coffee, not even 190. It appears that at least some coffee afficionados feel it should be between 195-205. It isn't like the site I posted has any reason to lie about what temp to have the water up to for making coffee.

I can find multiple sites that list that posted temp, 190+ as being a good temp for coffee.

The listed temps in the one above are about 180 to 185F

Anything over 160 will give a 3rd degree burn in less than 1 sec.

Last edited:
I posted this to show that not everyone agrees that 170 is too hot for coffee, not even 190. It appears that at least some coffee afficionados feel it should be between 195-205. It isn't like the site I posted has any reason to lie about what temp to have the water up to for making coffee.

I can find multiple sites that list that posted temp, 190+ as being a good temp for coffee.

I expect that different temperatures and methods of applying the water change how the resulting coffee tastes, and how much caffeine it has in it.

I expect that different temperatures and methods of applying the water change how the resulting coffee tastes, and how much caffeine it has in it.
I actually agree that it depends on taste here. I just don't agree that it is fair to tell McDonalds that they must serve their coffee at a certain temperature, when what they were serving it at is what is actually around the normal for serving at home. And that there really is no significant difference in time to get a 3rd degree burn from coffee at 190 compared to coffee at 170 or 180, as all temps give that burn at less than 1 sec of contact.

I actually agree that it depends on taste here. I just don't agree that it is fair to tell McDonalds that they must serve their coffee at a certain temperature, when what they were serving it at is what is actually around the normal for serving at home. And that there really is no significant difference in time to get a 3rd degree burn from coffee at 190 compared to coffee at 170 or 180, as all temps give that burn at less than 1 sec of contact.
I'm fairly sure the temperature matters more for brewing.

All they would need to do is let it cool slightly for serving.

This talks about temperatures for brewing... not when it is served or drunk.

I'm fairly sure the temperature matters more for brewing.

All they would need to do is let it cool slightly for serving.
That's not what some of those sites claimed though. They basically said that for every degree it cools off, the more "taste" is lost. In some cases, it apparently becomes more bitter as temperature decreases.

To be clear, I'm not a coffee drinker. But I know enough of them to know that most of those I know have issues with coffee that has cooled down too much unless it was cold brewed coffee (which actually is brewed differently).

This talks about temperatures for brewing... not when it is served or drunk.
Actually, several of those give their opinion on ideal serving/drinking temperatures. But the point was, when do most people grab their cup of coffee at home? How do most people handle it?

That's not what some of those sites claimed though. They basically said that for every degree it cools off, the more "taste" is lost. In some cases, it apparently becomes more bitter as temperature decreases.

To be clear, I'm not a coffee drinker. But I know enough of them to know that most of those I know have issues with coffee that has cooled down too much unless it was cold brewed coffee (which actually is brewed differently).
I think it depends more on the brewing method than the temperature.

For example, using the brewing tool I mentioned previously, I make coffee at 170-180 degrees water temp, and it tastes fine to me even much later when it's barely tepid.
I don't think I could reasonably drink coffee that was over 180 degrees, and even that might be too hot.
I would have to sip it, and that cools it down.

I expect McDonalds wanted it at 180 so it would still be plenty hot after cooling down during the customers drive.

Actually, if not a legal gas can, the station can be fined and the person working there allowing this can be prosecuted and jailed over it.

The employee made the right decision. Good for him.

Actually, several of those give their opinion on ideal serving/drinking temperatures. But the point was, when do most people grab their cup of coffee at home? How do most people handle it?
No, the point was that the lawsuit against McDonalds wasn't the frivolous case suggested. McDonalds knew they had a temperature issue.

And more to the point.... the lawsuit against the gas station (see topic of thread) is frivolous.

No, the point was that the lawsuit against McDonalds wasn't the frivolous case suggested. McDonalds knew they had a temperature issue.

And more to the point.... the lawsuit against the gas station (see topic of thread) is frivolous.
It was an opinion on the temperature issue.

As for this one, I think the fact that actions were taken immediately against the employee does go to that this should not be a lawsuit. The gas station owner took reasonable actions to address the issue.

Actually, if not a legal gas can, the station can be fined and the person working there allowing this can be prosecuted and jailed over it.

The employee made the right decision. Good for him.
He showed at least a partial picture of his gas can, and it is just like those that I use for mine, authorized. And the video shows that he didn't have any issue with the gas can.

Back
Top Bottom