• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Portland gas station attendant refused to sell gas to Black man over protest fires, lawsuit claims

dcsports

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

DeWeese claimed in the lawsuit that the attendant implied that he did not want to provide DeWeese with an opportunity to set fires or commit other crimes that have occurred at nightly protests in the city. Some demonstrators have set fires in the streets or inside buildings during the protests.
The attendant said he’d only sell DeWeese gasoline if it went directly into his car or lawnmower, the Oregonian reported, citing the cellphone video.
The owner of Jay’s Garage told FOX12 that he fired the attendant the same night of the incident and apologized to DeWeese. He said the attendant was acting against company policy, which says they serve everyone. DeWeese is represented by law firm Kafoury and McDougal, which also filed three similar lawsuits involving Black people who claimed they were denied service at businesses in Portland due to the color of their skin.

I found this kind of interesting... food for thought here. Note that the customer was asking to put gas in a plastic container (not a car) to use for his lawnmower.

I could understand a gas station in downtown Portland having a policy to not put gas in containers - but that wasn't the issue here. The attendant apparently came up with that on his own (according to the owner). However, suing the gas station for $375K of damages is ridiculous, especially after the owner fired the attendant and apologized on the same day.

Why the hell do you even need to tell the attendant what you're putting the gas in? Where I live you can do everything pump side or just say to the attendant "20 on 3 please."

Why the hell do you even need to tell the attendant what you're putting the gas in? Where I live you can do everything pump side or just say to the attendant "20 on 3 please."
I kind of wondered that too. When I get gas, I don't even speak to an attendant at all - I just stick the credit card in. (I also would fill up the can and my car rather than buying one gallon). He must have asked for a cash purchase, which the attendant would have to authorize.

Considering the attorney filed three similar lawsuits, I wonder if it was a setup. In the video the customer clearly is pressing for the attendant to say it's due to his race.

I found this kind of interesting... food for thought here. Note that the customer was asking to put gas in a plastic container (not a car) to use for his lawnmower.

I could understand a gas station in downtown Portland having a policy to not put gas in containers - but that wasn't the issue here. The attendant apparently came up with that on his own (according to the owner). However, suing the gas station for $375K of damages is ridiculous, especially after the owner fired the attendant and apologized on the same day.
DeWeese sees a chance to make some money.

I kind of wondered that too. When I get gas, I don't even speak to an attendant at all - I just stick the credit card in. (I also would fill up the can and my car rather than buying one gallon). He must have asked for a cash purchase, which the attendant would have to authorize.

Considering the attorney filed three similar lawsuits, I wonder if it was a setup. In the video the customer clearly is pressing for the attendant to say it's due to his race.

It smells fishy but I'll reserve judgment.

In Oregon, most stations don't let you pump your own gas. The attendant is the only one who can do it.

In Oregon, most stations don't let you pump your own gas. The attendant is the only one who can do it.

For real? There are stations that still employ gas pumpers in the U.S?

The owner of Jay’s Garage told FOX12 that he fired the attendant the same night of the incident and apologized to DeWeese. He said the attendant was acting against company policy, which says they serve everyone.

I forgot about that. Oregon and New Jersey require attendants to pump gas, although they've relaxed the laws in New Jersey.

The owner of Jay’s Garage told FOX12 that he fired the attendant the same night of the incident and apologized to DeWeese. He said the attendant was acting against company policy, which says they serve everyone.
Which begs the question: Why is he suing the owner who apologized and fired the knucklehead who broke company policy? A little fishy, I'd say.

Which begs the question: Why is he suing the owner who apologized and fired the knucklehead who broke company policy? A little fishy, I'd say.
Supremely pissed off?
Wanting to send a message?
Being a drama queen?
Hates insurance companies?
Suing is like hitting the lottery in America?

that'll teach the customer!!!! an unmown lawn!!!!

I think it’s actually legally required in NJ still.

I forgot about that. Oregon and New Jersey require attendants to pump gas, although they've relaxed the laws in New Jersey.

Oregon actually relaxed it a bit a couple years ago as well. Counties with smaller populations allow pumping by customers, and three counties on the coast allow it at certain hours of the night. Most of the western part of the state (save those three counties) still restrict pumping to the skilled hands of high-school dropouts 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Any time I'm in Oregon, I will purposely drive into Washington to get gas. **** those people.

Oregon is a mandatory full service state. You as the customer are not allowed to touch the gas pump.

It is actually illegal for the customer to pump his own gas. Crazy but true.

I believe Oregon requires you gas to be pumped for you.

It is actually illegal for the customer to pump his own gas. Crazy but true.
The rules have been modified for the COVID thing, but yeah...Oregon has had the attendant law for decades.

DeWeese sees a chance to make some money.
Ever since the lady who clumsily spilled coffee on herself at McDonalds got $ 2.86 million dollars.

Reactions: PoS

It's Oregon State Law that there is no "self-serve" gas. All gas needs to be pumped by an attendant.

it sucks to be racially profiled. The amount he is suing for is excessive though.

Ever since the lady who clumsily spilled coffee on herself at McDonalds got $ 2.86 million dollars.
OLD lie. She did not get that, she was third degree burned on her woowoo. They had been warned almost a hundred times, and fined, for the same thing. The coffee was SUPERHEATED, beyond boiling, ON PURPOSE.

Back
Top Bottom