• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

port deal...

Do you support the Dubai port deal?

• yes

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • no

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • not sure

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

conserv.pat15

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
What are your opinions on the UAE port deal? What do you think are the pros and cons to this deal? What is your strongest argument for or against this port deal?

My biggest agument is the Homeland security is so disfunctional, that I doubt that they could protect our ports if they were run by Americans, let alone Arabs. We are far more vunerable having a country in the Middle East managing our ports. Face it the terrorist will have easier access.

Does anyone have a list of the Republicans(in Congress) that are for this port deal and those who are against the port deal?

I support the deal................Security is not involved and will be handled by Homeland Security and the Coast Guard....UAE is our best ally in the mid east......We have more ships berthing in their ports then any other country....

I agree with Bill Clinton on this issue........

But homeland security is doing such an awful job now. Do you know that only 5% of the freight is inspected. And now you want us to be even more venerable letting a country from the Middle East manage our ports. Don't you think that the port will be much easier to infiltrate if our ports were run by Arabs?

Citizen said:
But homeland security is doing such an awful job now. Do you know that only 5% of the freight is inspected.

And what does that have to do with this deal?

Citizen said:
And now you want us to be even more venerable letting a country from the Middle East manage our ports. Don't you think that the port will be much easier to infiltrate if our ports were run by Arabs?

No. They aren't handling port security, they're just running the day-to-day operations of the port. Furthermore, the UAE is not a dangerous country full of extremists, and most of the people working at the ports will be the same people that worked there before this deal.

Citizen said:
But homeland security is doing such an awful job now. Do you know that only 5% of the freight is inspected. And now you want us to be even more venerable letting a country from the Middle East manage our ports. Don't you think that the port will be much easier to infiltrate if our ports were run by Arabs?

No I don't think so of course I don't have the opinion of HS that you do and no matter who manages the ports it will still be a 5 percent inspection figure.....It was that when the UK was managing it..............

conserv.pat15 said:
Does anyone have a list of the Republicans(in Congress) that are for this port deal and those who are against the port deal?
Sorry hasn't been voted on yet? I've checked. :2wave:

i actually have to give some credit to Bush on this occasion. he has risen above the populist and rather xenophobic sentiment expressed by both parties on this issue.

DP world is a globally respected firm with an american US chief officer and an american-educated chairman

Just as under p&o the american coast guard/customs/immigration with still be responsible for security

The UAE is a member of America's Container security initiative

the employees will be the same american guys as before and even if they want to bring in some arab workers then they will be subject to visa approval, no easy matter

Citizen said:
But homeland security is doing such an awful job now. Do you know that only 5% of the freight is inspected.

Here. Because under the new securtiy measures we put in (And the UAE was the first to work with us on this) they are screened overseas, the 5% are the ones we target.

And now you want us to be even more venerable letting a country from the Middle East manage our ports. Don't you think that the port will be much easier to infiltrate if our ports were run by Arabs?

No and apparently the British don't either, they have already approved the deal.

This whole port deal stinks, and the American public is overwhelmingly NOT in favor of it. It stinks because Bush tried to sneak it through, or more likely, and scary, wasn't even aware of what was happening?! The minimum Bush should've done was bring this out in the open for a 45 day review.

We have a 1996 counter terrorism law, that because of Dubai's diplomatic immunity, cannot be enforced against them, but all of us need to question whether UAE is still supporting Hamas? We pretty much know they've had ties to Al Queda and Osama, and funnelled nuclear components through their ports for at least two of the Bush Axis of Evil, Iran and North Korea.

But what does Bush say? 'Trust me, or I'll veto and ram it down your throats anyway.'

Just as we trusted Bush on WMD, Harriet Miers, Terri Schiavo, Katrina, Iraq, FEMA, our borders, our deficit..etc...ad nauseum? We can't even trust this administration to get their story straight about a hunting accident.

If Clinton had pulled this kind of nonsense, you republicans, who still continue to blindly support this administration, would be screaming bloody murder.

I hope congress brings this portgate deal to a vote before the 45 day review and forces Bush's hand. Wouldn't that be ironic? Bush vetoes legislation designed to keep our ports safer?

Back
Top Bottom