• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Porkbusters

oldreliable67

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Initiating this thread in the hopes that it will bring needed attention to the problem of wasteful government spending. If you see stories about pork, please post'em here!

A key website in this pork-fighting endeauvor is
truthlaidbear.com

This site offers, among other things, a list of Pork by state and a compendium of responses and media statements by Senators and Representatives.

To kick off this thread, here is something from Tapscott's Copy Desk on the subject:

People Dying of AIDS, Senate Buys Japanese Garden for CDC Instead

Sen. Tom Coburn, R-OK, and Sen. Arlen Specter, R-PA, engaged in a dialogue on the Senate floor earlier this week regarding the former's amendment to transfer $60 million previously appropriated for a Japanese garden at an Atlanta federal building to the AIDS Drug Assistance Program. Their exchange provides a vivid demonstration of the warped priorities encouraged by pork barrel culture in Congress.

See here for the entire story.

The omnibus spending bills that have been passed through Congress in the past few years have made me embarrassed of my own party. Myself and millions of others took the Republican party at it's word that there would be cuts in wasteful spending and reductions in the size of government. I cannot help but feel betrayed and depressed over the "business as usual" attitude in Washington. Remind me now, what exactly did I vote for you for?...:doh

Back
Top Bottom