• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Pope Ratzinger!

ShamMol said:
Originally Posted by Fantasea
One of these days it may sink in that the Church is in it for the long haul. It cannot turn its doctrine off and on like a faucet with the ebb and flow of the times.
you know, whatever man, i don't care what you think anymore. i presented my opinion, that's all. it can do whatever the heck it wants and there is nothing that a simpleton like yourself could do to stop it. for all you care it, it could excommunicate you and there would not a thing you could do about it. i just would like to think to like to help people.
I haven't come across a single practical approach to solving this problem proposed in this forum.

As I wrote, the first step in fixing anything in the afflicted nations is to fix the corrupt governments and officials who thrive on all of the donated goods and dollars that are siphoned off and never get to the people for which they are intended.

The folks at the top regard the suffering of the folks on the bottom as simply the means to attract foreign aid which they use to keep themselves firmly entrenched on top. Much like the Democratic politicians in the US, the corrupt governments do not want health and social problems solved. Both need 'problems' to maintain their existence.

If you disagree, then just examine the governments of the most severely afflicted African nations.

Fantasea said:
ShamMol said:
I haven't come across a single practical approach to solving this problem proposed in this forum.

As I wrote, the first step in fixing anything in the afflicted nations is to fix the corrupt governments and officials who thrive on all of the donated goods and dollars that are siphoned off and never get to the people for which they are intended.

The folks at the top regard the suffering of the folks on the bottom as simply the means to attract foreign aid which they use to keep themselves firmly entrenched on top. Much like the Democratic politicians in the US, the corrupt governments do not want health and social problems solved. Both need 'problems' to maintain their existence.

If you disagree, then just examine the governments of the most severely afflicted African nations.
i asked for a link a long time ago, still waiting, but what should i care. :2wave:

ShamMol said:
Originally Posted by Fantasea

i asked for a link a long time ago, still waiting, but what should i care.
Here's a quote:

"The amount stolen and now held in foreign banks is equivalent to more than half of the continent's external debt," it says, quoting a European study."

Here's the link.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/WO0503/S00203.htm

While there may have been abuses while these nations were under colonial rule of European countries, whatever the problems were then, they pale by comparison now.

After having read it all, will you join me in calling for an end to the corruption in the governments of African nations as the first step in remedying all of the problems which are crushing that continent?

ShamMol said:
Because it might, just might, influenced by the sight of those suffering to allow condom usage or not openly oppose it, it would be a long shot, but a possibility.

Do you really think condoms are a more effective way of stopping the spread of AIDS than following the teachings of the Church? The Catholic Church is the Church of Christ, the Church that Jesus told Saint Peter that he would be the rock of. God has had specific teachings on sexuality, and we disregard them at our peril, as we have. I can only say that we have reaped what we have sown.

ludahai said:
Do you really think condoms are a more effective way of stopping the spread of AIDS than following the teachings of the Church? The Catholic Church is the Church of Christ, the Church that Jesus told Saint Peter that he would be the rock of. God has had specific teachings on sexuality, and we disregard them at our peril, as we have. I can only say that we have reaped what we have sown.

I do not go for all that religious guff but one partner and abstinence works just like the Pope said. If people did not listen to him about that then why would people listen to him about condoms?
Blaming the pope for the spread of AIDs is pure foolishness. People need to take responsibility and ownership of their own actions.

akyron said:
I do not go for all that religious guff but one partner and abstinence works just like the Pope said. If people did not listen to him about that then why would people listen to him about condoms?
Blaming the pope for the spread of AIDs is pure foolishness. People need to take responsibility and ownership of their own actions.

I hope you don't think that meant to suggest that you have to be religious to agree with the position, because I wasn't. I welcome your agreement. I guess I should make it clear that I am a devout Catholic, so I regard the teaching of the Church in a way that most on here perhaps do not. However, I also agree with the late Pope John Paul II that Catholics should be eager to work with others of conscience on matters of common cause.

Just wanted to make that clear.

Back
Top Bottom