• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pope Francis:Who Am I to Judge Gay People [W:189]

shrubnose

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
When Pope Francis was first announced as the new Pope and I learned some things about him, I thought there was an excellent chance that he would be a 'good' pope. Of course, we'll have to wait and see exactly how he turns out, but in this BBC piece he sounds good to me: BBC News - Pope Francis: Who am I to judge gay people?

What do you guys think?

Re: Pope Francis:Who Am I to Judge Gay People?

I think he is condoning by proxy one of the very sins he is supposed to preach against.
He is caving in to political correctness.

I think he is condoning by proxy one of the very sins he is supposed to preach against.

I have to agree. He's obviously a CINO.

And for what it's worth, 'he' isn't suppose *judge. Only the Lord can do that.

Last edited:

Who are you to judge the Pope?

"Judge not, that ye not be judged." ~ Mathew7:1-3 KJV

Wasn't a judgement, that was a very good observation. That being said, that is the biggest out of context verse. Judge not, that you man not be judged =/= let sin go by freely.

When Pope Francis was first announced as the new Pope and I learned some things about him, I thought there was an excellent chance that he would be a 'good' pope. Of course, we'll have to wait and see exactly how he turns out, but in this BBC piece he sounds good to me: BBC News - Pope Francis: Who am I to judge gay people?

What do you guys think?

Sounds good to me, too. Too long have gay people been judged by others claiming a moral high ground. He's is absolutely right - who is he to judge others? Only God can do that. About time somebody stood up to denounce judgment against people.

Sounds good to me, too. Too long have gay people been judged by others claiming a moral high ground. He's is absolutely right - who is he to judge others? Only God can do that. About time somebody stood up to denounce judgment against people.

Calling out homosexuality is no different than calling out murder, lust, lying, stealing, etc.....

Calling out homosexuality is no different than calling out murder, lust, lying, stealing, etc.....

Disagree. While sex is involved, homosexuality is a lifestyle, a sexual preference. Everything else you mentioned is an act, in and of itself.

Disagree. While sex is involved, homosexuality is a lifestyle, a sexual preference. Everything else you mentioned is an act, in and of itself.

Lifestyles are not a free pass for sin....

I have to agree. He's obviously a CINO.

And for what it's worth, 'he' isn't suppose *judge. Only the Lord can do that.

Technically, all he's really doing is reaffirming the stance the Catholic Church already had with regards to homosexuality.

i.e.

"Hate the sin, not the sinner." Homosexual acts are sinful, but homosexual orientation is not.

I agree that the Pope's comments come off as being sort of a non-committal "middle of the road" stance for the leader of a major religion to take, but they are technically accurate to existing Catholic beliefs. He basically seems to be "washing his hands of the matter," so to speak.

This is sort of an ironic thing for a Pope, of all people, to do ( :lol: ), but it might vey well be a necessary stance for the Church to take in today's overwhelmingly pro-homosexual political climate.

Last edited:

Homosexuality is not a sin. It is actually a good thing for many people who's lives become better and more enjoyable by it's presence.

In your opinion. But you apparently don't beleive the Bible so your opinion is irrelevant in that regard.

Homosexuality is not a sin. It is actually a good thing for many people who's lives become better and more enjoyable by it's presence.

Bwahahahahahahaha.

He speaks what many have said. Who are we to judge homosexuals? And for that matter, from a religious perspective, homosexuality? From a religious perspective God places that judgement and condemnation, not man. Makes it pretty easy to understand. Who are we to judge liars? Who are we to judge murderers? Does that mean the act is any less 'sinful' or heinous? (I was going to add "and does that mean society should NOT have laws regarding those acts?"...but really...Im just not feeling very contentious these days...)

Wasn't a judgement, that was a very good observation. That being said, that is the biggest out of context verse. Judge not, that you man not be judged =/=
let sin go by freely.

You are the one who said "Let sin go by freely." ~ That is your comment.

Not only did I not say that, I didn't even think it.

Well yeah...I mean...look at nature. When the stud has taken the herd, the other less desirable males can at least get off on each. I suppose it beats humpin a tree stump...

You are the one who said "Let sin go by freely." ~ That is your comment.

Then please explain how your interpretation of the verse is different before you go on a rampage.

I think telling someone they're wrong and telling someone they're going to hell are two different things. I suspect he feels the same about it.

In your opinion. But you apparently don't beleive the Bible so your opinion is irrelevant in that regard.

For those who, like me, see the Bible as a waste of paper, your opinion is irrelevant.

"Man has created God in his own image:Intolerant, sexist, homophobic, and violent." ~ Marie

For those who, like me, see the Bible as a waste of paper, your opinion is irrelevant.

"Man has created God in his own image:Intolerant, sexist, homophobic, and violent." ~ Marie

I hope you change your opinion before you die, otherwise eternity will be very bad for you.

Then please explain how your interpretation of the verse is different before you go on a rampage.
You are the kind of person that steps on my nerves, so I am not going to waste my time explaining anything to you, if you don't get it, you're out of luck.

I am not going to waste my time explaining anything to you, if you don't get it, you're out of luck.

My point was, you took it out of context, and innappropriately made it sound as though Jesus was saying to look the other way and let sin happen. Not the case.

Since the bible is a book of fiction it's statements are irrelevant for reality. Good try, but it is still not a sin and is actually a good thing.

What do you guys think?

I'd say, who is he to judge anyone? After all, if I remember the bible, God teaches - judge not, least ye be judged yourself.

My point was, you took it out of context, and innappropriately made it sound as though Jesus was saying to look the other way and let sin happen. Not the case.
I'm not interested in your opinion. Peddle it somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom