• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pope Francis Scraps Abuse Tribunal for Bishops Who Cover Up Pedophile Priests

Top Cat

He's the most tip top
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
VATICAN CITY — Pope Francis on Saturday scrapped his proposed tribunal to prosecute bishops who covered up for pedophile priests after it ran into opposition and instead clarified legal procedures to remove them if the Vatican finds they were negligent.

The new procedures sought to answer long-standing demands by survivors of abuse that the Vatican hold bishops accountable for botching abuse cases. Victims have long accused bishops of covering up for pedophiles, moving rapists from parish to parish rather than reporting them to police — and suffering no consequences.

Pope Francis Scraps Abuse Tribunal for Bishops Who Cover Up Pedophile Priests - NBC News

Oh FFS. Grow a pair Francis.

I guess he didn't want any more damning revelations...

So he wants to fire Bishops involved in a cover up but wants to scrap the investigation into cover-ups??

Was the tribunal going to investigate? I missed that part...

I dunno, I think I agree with him. The laws are already in place, just not used, and the tribunal might have been just 'being seen to be doing something' and might even have gotten in the way.
Watch and see, that's all we can do. See if they actually do enforce the rules they have in place.

What you do speaks so loudly I need not hear what you say.

You'll "forgive" my cynicism. I do not for one second buy anything the Catholic Church says on this matter.

What you do speaks so loudly I need not hear what you say.

You'll "forgive" my cynicism. I do not for one second buy anything the Catholic Church says on this matter.

You have no reason to. Buy anything they say, I mean.
But I'm a bit more hopeful, that's why I say, "Watch and see."

I dunno, I think I agree with him. The laws are already in place, just not used, and the tribunal might have been just 'being seen to be doing something' and might even have gotten in the way.
Watch and see, that's all we can do. See if they actually do enforce the rules they have in place.

It's been nearly half a century since the first indications that there was conspiracy and corruption in the Catholic Church to hide the truth. The church sees that as something fairly inconsequential, whereas I and the public see it as obstruction of justice.

If this was a simple organization, or a private enterprise people would have been out of jail by now. I do not trust Vatican, it operates for one and only one purpose - to preserve the Church. Period.

NEVER have I heard contrition from these monsters. NEVER have I heard "I'm sorry". Millions of generations have walked this earth and do, with the horrible memories of what was done to them by people in positions of trust. That horror cannot even begin to heal until those people in positions of power are dealt with in accordance of man's law, not God's.

Like the Popes who have come before, he has come to believe he and his robed rapers are above man's law. And I'm NOT content to let God deal with it. If these slime had God in their hearts there would be no need for an investigation, they should do what Catholics are supposed to do: confess

You have no reason to. Buy anything they say, I mean.
But I'm a bit more hopeful, that's why I say, "Watch and see."

The waiting has been a half a century or more. The allegations in the Boston diocese where this broke out are over 20 years old.

Waiting is over.

I see this as obstruction of justice.

Back
Top Bottom