• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pope Francis on gays: `Who am I to judge?'[W:65,239]

Jredbaron96

Gen 4:10
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Pope Francis on gays: `Who am I to judge?' – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

ABOARD THE PAPAL AIRPLANE (CNN) –Pope Francis said Monday that he will not "judge" gays and lesbians - including gay priests - signaling a shift from his predecessor and offering another sign that the new pope is committed to changing the church's approach to historically marginalized groups.
“If someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge?” Francis said in a wide-ranging news conference aboard the papal plane.

Francis continues to distance himself from Benedict. Thoughts?

Re: Pope Francis on gays: `Who am I to judge?'

All they've done is brought in someone slightly more liberal in order to do damage control because the Church was hemorrhaging followers after the last guy. The Church's stance on homosexuals has been made quite clear for over half a century now so they should stop pretending to be all progressive.

Doesn't change the fact that homosexual sex is a sin and an abomination

Hate the sin. Not the sinner.

The point that most people who scream tolerance forget. It isn't about the homosexual, it is about homosexuality and the fact that it is sin.

As a Catholic, I knew this guy was going to be a wishy washy loser.

How is that really being wishy-washy? He didn't come out and say that homosexual behavior isn't sinful, but that those who have homosexual tendency and accept God and act with good will should not be marginalized.

How is that really being wishy-washy? He didn't come out and say that homosexual behavior isn't sinful, but that those who have homosexual tendency and accept God and act with good will should not be marginalized.

Yea, like I said. Wishy washy.

Yea, like I said. Wishy washy.

Not marginalizing someone, not even based on them sinning, but possibly having a tendency toward sin is being wishy washy?

Yeah he is not condoning homosexuality, just distancing himself from the allegations of hypocrisy over the creeper priests amongst them.

Who is he to Judge? I thought he was God's representative on earth being the Pope and all. Is he going to not be the person to judge any sin whatsoever? Are we to construe this as to mean that God, through his representative, has declared sin no longer relevant to salvation? Is this like a free day in gym class where we can do whatever we want or is it more like book amnesty day so no matter how many decades you have had the book, the library won't fine you if you return it?

sex is a sin, unless you are married. Let them get married here on earth, then take it up with God later. He dont need our help.

The point that most people who scream tolerance forget. It isn't about the homosexual, it is about homosexuality and the fact that it is sin.

Please don't forget that every single person walking on this Earth today, and every single person who has ever walked on this Earth is or was a sinner.

Nobody is without sin.

So stop being a massive hypocrite by condemning others when you yourself are not free from sin.

Please don't forget that every single person walking on this Earth today, and every single person who has ever walked on this Earth is or was a sinner.

Nobody is without sin.

So stop being a massive hypocrite by condemning others when you yourself are not free from sin.

Funny, I never claimed that.....

Funny, I never claimed that.....

Maybe not - but you sure have appeared to judge.

And if the Pope says that even he shouldn't, then neither should anyone who follows what the Pope teaches ans stands for.

Maybe not - but you sure have appeared to judge.

And if the Pope says that even he shouldn't, then neither should anyone who follows what the Pope teaches ans stands for.

I don't follow the Pope, I don't even share the same religion.... :shrug:

Only if you believe in that fairy tale. The reality is that homosexuality is just fine.

There is one thing many people who scream intolerance on that subject forget. it only applies to people who believe in the fairy tale. Even then it seems that the christian god's infallible representative on earth seems to be fine with it happening.

There is one thing many people who scream intolerance on that subject forget. it only applies to people who believe in the fairy tale. Even then it seems that the christian god's infallible representative on earth seems to be fine with it happening.

Intersting, and incorrect, view.

All they've done is brought in someone slightly more liberal in order to do damage control because the Church was hemorrhaging followers after the last guy. The Church's stance on homosexuals has been made quite clear for over half a century now so they should stop pretending to be all progressive.

That's how you get change. One step at a time.

Yeah he is not condoning homosexuality, just distancing himself from the allegations of hypocrisy over the creeper priests amongst them.

Who is he to Judge? I thought he was God's representative on earth being the Pope and all. Is he going to not be the person to judge any sin whatsoever? Are we to construe this as to mean that God, through his representative, has declared sin no longer relevant to salvation? Is this like a free day in gym class where we can do whatever we want or is it more like book amnesty day so no matter how many decades you have had the book, the library won't fine you if you return it?

He's not a nihilist.

He's not a nihilist.

Except when it comes to homosexuals?

I mean the man is pretty old and never married, makes you wonder.....:shock:

7 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

6 Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Judge not that ye shall not be judged, seek and you shall find, knock and it shall be opened. These are the words of Jesus, so how do you expect the Pope to judge and to deny other's their ability to seek the Lord.

Pope Francis on gays: `Who am I to judge?' – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

Francis continues to distance himself from Benedict. Thoughts?

Smart move on his part. The Catholic church has long been the leader in the crusade against homosexuality. Here, he delicately says that we are all sinners and the context of that sin is not for any man to render judgement or opinion upon, without condoning the actions the church considers sinful.

Who knows whether this is legitimate or, as one of the users said, damage control? Regardless, this will help to improve the view of the Catholic Church in the eyes of many, and especially any homosexuals that may consider themselves Christian.

Aside: I am not Catholic, so I certainly hope I did not offend anyone based on my opinion.

This seems to me to be a bit insensitive towards another's religion. It is, of course, your right to consider it a fairy tale, but mocking it in front of its believers is a bit offensive. I mean no disrespect.

maybe pope francis is gay too

Navy Pride.

I hope you're listening.

Back
Top Bottom