• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pope Francis gives long-awaited apology for Indigenous abuses at Catholic schools

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From United Press International

April 1 (UPI) -- Pope Francis made a formal apology Friday for the Roman Catholic Church's role in operating Canada's system of residential schools, in which thousands of Indigenous children were taken and abused over a period of several decades.

The pope issued the apology at the Vatican directly to a 62-member delegation at the Apostolic Palace made up of members of Canada's three largest Indigenous groups.

"I also feel shame ... sorrow and shame for the role that a number of Catholics, particularly those with educational responsibilities, have had in all these things that wounded you," he said. "And the abuses you suffered and the lack of respect shown for your identity, your culture and even your spiritual values."

The historic apology was the first by the pope to Canada's Indigenous community. Thursday, he met privately with the delegation, accompanied by several Canadian Bishops. It was his third such visit this week after having earlier met with Mètis and Inuit representatives separately.

COMMENT:-

"Gosh I'm sorry (for what the RCC INC. did)." is one thing. "Gosh, I'm sorry and here is what I'm going to do to try and make up for what the RCC INC. did." is a TOTALLY different thing.​

Pope Francis is alright.(y)

Now all the pope has to do is admit that it was christian care givers that stole, abused and raped children.

Now all the pope has to do is admit that it was christian care givers that stole, abused and raped children.
You might find enlightenment by reading the whole of the apology, especially the

... For the deplorable conduct of those members of the Catholic Church, I ask for God's forgiveness and I want to say to you with all my heart: I am very sorry. And I join my brothers, the Canadian bishops, in asking your pardon. Clearly, the content of the faith cannot be transmitted in a way contrary to the faith itself: Jesus taught us to welcome, love, serve and not judge; it is a frightening thing when, precisely in the name of the faith, counter-witness is rendered to the Gospel....
(emphasis added)
bit.

Strangely enough, His Holiness makes no mention of the efforts of the corporate managers of the RCC Inc. to cover-up what had happened and to silence anyone who looked like they might come forward and disclose what had happened, nor does he acknowledge that the RCC Inc. had any involvement in what happened.

This (and, OK, so I'm exaggerating for emphasis) is like Adolf Hitler's successor coming forward and saying that they regretted the actions of "some Germans" without acknowledging that the German government was in the least bit involved in the operation of the Nazi "murder camps".

Not all residential schools were operated by the Catholic Church but don't hold your breath waiting for acknowledgment, never mind apology, from Protestant leaders.

From United Press International

April 1 (UPI) -- Pope Francis made a formal apology Friday for the Roman Catholic Church's role in operating Canada's system of residential schools, in which thousands of Indigenous children were taken and abused over a period of several decades.

The pope issued the apology at the Vatican directly to a 62-member delegation at the Apostolic Palace made up of members of Canada's three largest Indigenous groups.

"I also feel shame ... sorrow and shame for the role that a number of Catholics, particularly those with educational responsibilities, have had in all these things that wounded you," he said. "And the abuses you suffered and the lack of respect shown for your identity, your culture and even your spiritual values."

The historic apology was the first by the pope to Canada's Indigenous community. Thursday, he met privately with the delegation, accompanied by several Canadian Bishops. It was his third such visit this week after having earlier met with Mètis and Inuit representatives separately.

COMMENT:-
"Gosh I'm sorry (for what the RCC INC. did)." is one thing. "Gosh, I'm sorry and here is what I'm going to do to try and make up for what the RCC INC. did." is a TOTALLY different thing.​
Not all residential schools were operated by the Catholic Church but don't hold your breath waiting for acknowledgment, never mind apology, from Protestant leaders.

You might find enlightenment by reading the whole of the apology, especially the
... For the deplorable conduct of those members of the Catholic Church, I ask for God's forgiveness and I want to say to you with all my heart: I am very sorry. And I join my brothers, the Canadian bishops, in asking your pardon. Clearly, the content of the faith cannot be transmitted in a way contrary to the faith itself: Jesus taught us to welcome, love, serve and not judge; it is a frightening thing when, precisely in the name of the faith, counter-witness is rendered to the Gospel....​
(emphasis added)​
bit.

Strangely enough, His Holiness makes no mention of the efforts of the corporate managers of the RCC Inc. to cover-up what had happened and to silence anyone who looked like they might come forward and disclose what had happened, nor does he acknowledge that the RCC Inc. had any involvement in what happened.

This (and, OK, so I'm exaggerating for emphasis) is like Adolf Hitler's successor coming forward and saying that they regretted the actions of "some Germans" without acknowledging that the German government was in the least bit involved in the operation of the Nazi "murder camps".
As usual not an apology but instead a bad effort at placating the critics.

Actually the United Church of Canada Inc. did issue an apology

Long before my people journeyed to this land your people were here, and you received from your Elders an understanding of creation and of the Mystery that surrounds us all that was deep, and rich, and to be treasured. We did not hear you when you shared your vision. In our zeal to tell you of the good news of Jesus Christ we were closed to the value of your spirituality. We confused Western ways and culture with the depth and breadth and length and height of the gospel of Christ. We imposed our civilization as a condition for accepting the gospel. . . . As a result you, and we, are poorer and the image of the Creator in us is twisted, blurred, and we are not what we are meant by God to be. We ask you to forgive us.
in 1986.

In 1991, the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate offered it's apology.

In 1992, the Anglican Church Inc. offered it's apology.

In 2009, Pope Benedict XVI met Aboriginal leaders and expressed his (personal) sorrow for the experiences of the residential school survivors, but did not offer any apology on behalf of the RCC Inc..

Back
Top Bottom