• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Pope Francis excommunicates dissident priest in Australia

ChezC3

Relentless Thinking Fury
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Stupid unbiblical doctrines, but I don't blame the pope for being the pope and doing his job.

I'm glad it was done. However, I'm upset that people like the priests of the SSPX were excommunicated while people like Nancy Pelosi and Joe Biden get no public condemnation from the Church hierarchy.

I'm glad it was done. However, I'm upset that people like the priests of the SSPX were excommunicated while people like Nancy Pelosi and Joe Biden get no public condemnation from the Church hierarchy.

Well, SSPX are heretics and are in schism. Biden and Pelosi may be sinners, but they are neither heretics nor schismatics.

Pope Francis excommunicates dissident priest in Australia :: Catholic News Agency (CNA)

and let that be a lesson to you....

This should be going on en masse.

In order for the vine to stay strong and yield good fruit, you must prune it...

I support this philosophy 100%. It's about damn time that a Pope showed some backbone in this regard.

Religion is not a free for all. The rules exist for a reason.

Yup. Frankly, the same applies to roughly half of the so called "Cafeteria Catholics" in America.

Hmm... This discussion actually makes me I wonder just how people would react if a slightly more... "old school" approach were to be adopted towards the matter at hand.

h68E5480F.jpg

:lamo

Last edited:
Yup. Frankly, the same applies to roughly half of the so called "Cafeteria Catholics" in America.

Hmm... This discussion actually makes me I wonder just how people would react if a slightly more... "old school" approach were to be adopted towards the matter at hand.

View attachment 67154475

:lamo

You don't get more "cafeteria" than SSPX.

See, you're engaging in exactly the sort of thing the Holy Father is trying to provide an example against. You're obsessed over petty politics and disregarding the love of Christ. You'll tar your brothers and sisters as cafeteria Catholics when you should embrace them. And at the same time you defend SSPX, which practices in mortally dangerous heresy and defiles the holy sacraments. Why does a group of heretics get a pass, just because they are on the same side as you in the "culture wars?"

You've got it all backwards!

You don't get more "cafeteria" than SSPX.

See, you're engaging in exactly the sort of thing the Holy Father is trying to provide an example against. You're obsessed over petty politics and disregarding the love of Christ. You'll tar your brothers and sisters as cafeteria Catholics when you should embrace them. And at the same time you defend SSPX, which practices in mortally dangerous heresy and defiles the holy sacraments. Why does a group of heretics get a pass, just because they are on the same side as you in the "culture wars?"

You've got it all backwards!

I didn't say a damn thing about SSPX. If they're teaching doctrinal heresy, they should be cut off just like anyone else.

That being said, however; I think you are underestimating the damage high profile laxity can do. Catholics like Pelosi and Kerry openly mock Catholic values every chance they get in as public a manner as possible, yet still have the gall to show up to church on Sunday.

They are Catholic "in name only" and lead others astray in the process. They should be dealt with as such.

I didn't say a damn thing about SSPX. If they're teaching doctrinal heresy, they should be cut off just like anyone else.

That being said, however; I think you are underestimating the damage high profile laxity can do. Catholics like Pelosi and Kerry openly mock Catholic values every chance they get in as public a manner as possible, yet still have the gall to show up to church on Sunday.

They are Catholic "in name only" and lead others astray in the process. They should be dealt with as such.

Those are exactly the kind of people the Holy Father is saying that we need to reach out to with love and compassion rather than judgment.

Don't forget Arnold Schwarzenegger.

You don't excommunicate someone for not being a good catholics ... it's Herasy and Schisms, if that we're the case then every congressperson who was a catholic and voted to cut food stamps would have to be excommunicated to.

You don't excommunicate someone for not being a good catholics ... it's Herasy and Schisms, if that we're the case then every congressperson who was a catholic and voted to cut food stamps would have to be excommunicated to.

You can, however; excommunicate the high profile cases who can be seen to be causing harm to the Church body as a whole. The Church excommunicated dozens of secular rulers in the pre-modern era.

The simple fact of the matter is that you can't enact legislation enabling the wholesale slaughter of unborn innocents one day, and then turn around and accept communion the next.

It didn't matter who a person was in the old days; prince, king, or even byzantine emperor, if you crossed a certain line, you were cut off. (Barring corruption, of course) That was all there was too it.

What could it possibly benefit the Church to keep these people around? They simply do far more harm than good.

You can, however; excommunicate the high profile cases who can be seen to be causing harm to the Church body as a whole. The Church excommunicated dozens of secular rulers in the pre-modern era.

The simple fact of the matter is that you can't enact legislation enabling the wholesale slaughter of unborn innocents one day, and then turn around and accept communion the next.

It didn't matter who a person was in the old days; prince, king, or even byzantine emperor, if you crossed a certain line, you were cut off. (Barring corruption, of course) That was all there was too it.

What could it possibly benefit the Church to keep these people around? They simply do far more harm than good.

Whether or not they did it in the past that is the church policy .... the Church did many things in the past, but now they gotta follow church policy.

I Googled "Is abortion grounds for excommunication" because I thought it was, and it is. First hit was EWTN, which states about "conspirators":

Conspirators who incur the excommunication can be defined as those who make access to the abortion possible. This certainly includes doctors and nurses who actually do it, husbands, family and others whose counsel and encouragement made it morally possible for the woman, and those whose direct practical support made it possible (financially, driving to the clinic etc.).

Abortion - Excommunication

Do legislators who publicly support abortion rights fall into the category of "conspirators"?

Well, SSPX are heretics and are in schism. Biden and Pelosi may be sinners, but they are neither heretics nor schismatics.

You tell me what's worse: the SSPX who openly disobey Rome because of disagreements about the Mass, or politicians like Biden and Pelosi who say they are loyal to Rome but approve of the wholesale slaughter of millions of innocent babies?

Those are exactly the kind of people the Holy Father is saying that we need to reach out to with love and compassion rather than judgment.

Excommunication is far more loving than tacit approval.

I Googled "Is abortion grounds for excommunication" because I thought it was, and it is. First hit was EWTN, which states about "conspirators":

Conspirators who incur the excommunication can be defined as those who make access to the abortion possible. This certainly includes doctors and nurses who actually do it, husbands, family and others whose counsel and encouragement made it morally possible for the woman, and those whose direct practical support made it possible (financially, driving to the clinic etc.).

Abortion - Excommunication

Do legislators who publicly support abortion rights fall into the category of "conspirators"?

Seems to me that yes, they certainly do.

Note: I'm not saying that the Church's attitude toward the SSPX is wrong. If you openly dissent from Rome then excommunication is fitting. That said, don't abortion-supporting politicians merit the same fate?

Well this is all very lovely Pope Francis.

Still, as an Australian i'd love to have a 5 minute conversation with you and have you explain to me why, the Church feels that Cardinal Pell deserves to remain the most prominent Catholic in Australia. What an absolute disgrace.

Do you honestly think it change anything?

The number of Catholics in the civilized nations would plummet.

The number of Catholics in the civilized nations would plummet.

And it honestly might be for the best.

Revelation 3:15-16 - "I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth."

And it honestly might be for the best.

Revelation 3:15-16 - "I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth."

That is an excerpt from an address to the church of the laodiceans, who boasted their monetary wealth. Christ then states that He will stand by your (everyones) door, and those who let Him in, will dine with Him. Christ didn't say anything about coercing false confessions through inhuman acts of torture and execution.

That is an excerpt from an address to the church of the laodiceans, who boasted their monetary wealth. Christ then states that He will stand by your (everyones) door, and those who let Him in, will dine with Him. Christ didn't say anything about coercing false confessions through inhuman acts of torture and execution.

Which isn't what I advocated in the first place. The Church has performed dozens of "inquisitions" throughout its history. Torture and execution were not a part of all, or even most of them.

The simple act of examining what is being taught in most of the developed world, and weeding out the riff-raff accordingly, could do wonders for the overall health of the institution.

Do you honestly think it change anything?

Yes. The fact that these people are Catholics apparently in good standing means that the lay faithful will get the idea that abortion maybe isn't that bad.

Well this is all very lovely Pope Francis.

Still, as an Australian i'd love to have a 5 minute conversation with you and have you explain to me why, the Church feels that Cardinal Pell deserves to remain the most prominent Catholic in Australia. What an absolute disgrace.

Mind informing an American what's so wrong about Cardinal Pell? The only thing that sticks out is his view on Adam and Eve, at least from a brief glance at his Wikipedia article.

Which isn't what I advocated in the first place. The Church has performed dozens of "inquisitions" throughout its history. Torture and execution were not a part of all, or even most of them.

The simple act of examining what is being taught in most of the developed world, and weeding out the riff-raff accordingly, could do wonders for the overall health of the institution.

Could we start by getting rid of all of the guitar bands from our churches? That's where I'd like to begin. :)

Back
Top Bottom