• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pope endorses civil union laws for same-sex couples

How Christian of you.
Wow. Very profound.

Thank you for the snarky backhanded comment. I'll be sure to pray the rosary for forgiveness from people like you who hate the church and think practicing Christians are retarded.

View attachment 67300758

It would be dumb with me to engage in a debate with someone who can't even grasp the concept of intelligent design about whether or not my specific theological beliefs are correct. You don't even have the foundations down.

Even this lol. The fact that you think that "God" is supposed to represent some material being or have some visible essence shows how much you actually know. You betray your own ignorance.
I'm ignorant because I don't believe in what I can't see, touch, taste or smell? That's impressive coming from a bible thumper who can't provide anything more than 'I believe therefore it's true' as his counter argument. Amazing.

I'm ignorant because I don't believe in what I can't see, touch, taste or smell? That's impressive coming from a bible thumper who can't provide anything more than 'I believe therefore it's true' as his counter argument. Amazing.
I guarantee there are a multitude of things you believe in that you can't see, touch, taste, or smell.

You think a belief in talking snakes and four-faced beings isn't retarded? 😁
Even if I did, that would still be monumentally less cringe than publicly advocating for the right for men to sodomize each other lmao. Disgusting.

For example?
You really need me to explain it to you?

Do you believe in neutrons, electrons, and protons? Do you believe in other forms of matter not perceivable by the human eye? Do you believe in immaterial and abstract laws of physics, for instance?

American Catholic meltdown in 3...2...1...
Why would they. Most people supported civil unions just not official marriage.

Even if I did, that would still be monumentally less cringe than publicly advocating for the right for men to sodomize each other lmao. Disgusting.

You really need me to explain it to you?

Do you believe in neutrons, electrons, and protons? Do you believe in other forms of matter not perceivable by the human eye? Do you believe in immaterial and abstract laws of physics, for instance?
Yes, I do. And why? Because we can prove their existence scientifically in the same way that we can measure the age of the universe by our understanding of the speed of light.

However the Catholic Church has a history of violence, coercion, hate, torture, repression, etc. And that hate and repression and coercion continue today. Hard to preach against it today, then isnt it?

And you bring up a very good point, one that I brought up when the issue was still being debated and gay marriage was still mostly illegal. It was the various religious faiths, including the Catholics, that spoke out so vehemently against it. Paid $$ into campaigns to convince voters against it.

When as you wrote...and I also at the time...all they had to do was recognize that some sacrament in God's Eyes should have nothing to do with the legal and social benefits accorded by the govt. They could all get 'married' in their various churches. Govt sanction by no means affects the sanctity of that. And yet...they fought...out of hate and intolerance.
So do atheist's. Atheist regimes have killed more people than the catholic church has.
not that i condone any of it at all. What the church did during the inquisition and the protestant reformation was horrendous
and should never happen again.

however violence, coercion, hate, torture, and repression are not just a religious thing.
Actually it doesn't continue today so why are you lying? There are people that do that but the church in and of itself does not.

If you don't like what the Catholics believe simply don't be catholic. I am not.

Wow. Very profound.

Thank you for the snarky backhanded comment. I'll be sure to pray the rosary for forgiveness from people like you who hate the church and think practicing Christians are retarded.
I can speak for myself so you don't have to... Christian.

With the signing of the Reichskonkordat the Pope made a deal with the Nazis, thus lending moral legitimacy to the Nazi regime. One of the most shameful episodes in church history.

The Reichskonkordat was signed in 1933. It did not lend any moral legitimacy to anything the Nazis did. In fact the Catholic Church frequently spoke out against the Nazis throughout the war and the Catholic clergy was systematically exterminated by the Nazis.

Last edited:
The Reichskonkordat was signed in 1933 with the Weimar Republic not the Nazis. It did not lend any moral legitimacy to the Nazis.
That's hardly relevant considering the Konkordat continued on throughout the Third Reich and effectively ended any opposition to the Nazi regime by the Catholic Church. In effect a tacit endorsement. It remains in place to this day.

I guess because of this plus the Pope's recent condemnation of capitalism's handling during the epidemic means Catholic Republicans should be denied communion right? I mean that's how they treat Democratic politicians who are Catholic when they don't hold a repubilcan policy dear enough.

Pope Francis has declared support for civil unions for same-sex couples for the first time, according to the Catholic News Agency. The Pope made the historic remarks in a new documentary film, "Francesco," which was released in Rome on Wednesday.​
"Homosexual people have a right to be in a family. They're children of God and have a right to a family. Nobody should be thrown out or be made miserable over it," the Pope said in the film, the Catholic News Agency reported.​
A fitting sentiment from a dude who wears dresses... ;)

That's hardly relevant considering the Konkordat continued on throughout the Third Reich and effectively ended any opposition to the Nazi regime by the Catholic Church. In effect a tacit endorsement. It remains in place to this day.

That simply isn’t true. The Konkordat prohibited the clergy from overt involvement in German politics, but it didn’t stop the Church from repeatedly condemning the Nazi regime and it’s ideology. One of the more famous examples of this is the papal encyclical Mit brennender Sorge - and unreserved condemnation of Nazi ideology - which was smuggled into Germany, secretly printed and distributed, and ordered read from every pulpit in the Reich on Palm Sunday 1937. It’s opposition was also expressed in its saving of nearly one million Jews from certain death at great risk and sacrifice.

Last edited:
That simply isn’t true. The Konkordat prohibited the clergy from overt involvement in German politics, but it didn’t stop the Church from repeatedly condemning the Nazi regime and it’s ideology. It’s opposition was also expressed in its saving of nearly one million Jews from certain death at great risk and sacrifice.
Hmm,

You will by now have gathered I'm not a fan of Catholic hypocrisy and betrayal.

Last edited:
Hmm,

"Gott mit uns"

What does a phrase that had been used in Germany since the 12th century and which the Nazis chose to cast on their belt buckles have to do with the Catholic Church? The Vatican wasn’t designing Wehrmacht uniforms.

What does a phrase that had been used in Germany since the 12th century and which the Nazis chose to cast on their belt buckles have to do with the Catholic Church?
Not much; just demonstrating the hypocrisy of Nazism in which Catholics were demonstrably complicit.

Not much; just demonstrating the hypocrisy of Nazism in which Catholics were demonstrably complicit.

That’s certainly not something you can demonstrate. As pointed out, the Catholic Church repeatedly condemned the Nazis and their ideology both before and during the war and it saved nearly one million Jews. The price it paid for that was near total destruction in Europe. Nearly every person imprisoned and who perished at the Dachau concentration camp were Catholics and Catholic clergy. 80% of the clergy in Poland for example we’re murdered by the Nazis. They were able to find a handful of people willing to do what they said, but they had to tear the Church apart, dismantle it’s institutions, seize or destroy most Church property, and imprison or murder most of the clergy to find them. Those facts aren’t compatible with your baseless accusation of complicity.

Last edited:
And you cant get married in the church or have your kids baptized in the church, etc.
You can't participate in any sacraments, like confession, extreme unction, marriage in church, etc.

You can't participate in any sacraments, like confession, extreme unction, marriage in church, etc.

Confession is available to anyone who wants to participate even non-Catholics. It’s just that a Priest is not going to impart absolution to an unrepentant sinner regardless of the sin.

That’s certainly not something you can demonstrate. As pointed out, the Catholic Church repeatedly condemned the Nazis and their ideology both before and during the war and it saved nearly one million Jews. The price it paid for that was near total destruction in Europe. Nearly every person imprisoned and who perished at the Dachau concentration camp were Catholics and Catholic clergy. 80% of the clergy in Poland for example we’re murdered by the Nazis. They were able to find a handful of people willing to do what they said, but they had to tear the Church apart, dismantle it’s institutions, seize or destroy most Church property, and imprison or murder most of the clergy to find them. Those facts aren’t compatible with your baseless accusation of complicity.
Pius XII was the Church's man in Nazi Germany before the war broke out in 1939. The church, through monasteries in Switzerland & Italy, ran the ODESSA organization that funneled SS officers out of Europe after the war. And, with the Vatican sitting in he middle of German-occupied Rome, there certainly were close contacts between the Church & the Nazis.

Pius XII was the Church's man in Nazi Germany before the war broke out in 1939. The church, through monasteries in Switzerland & Italy, ran the ODESSA organization that funneled SS officers out of Europe after the war. And, with the Vatican sitting i the middle of German-occupied Rome, there certainly were close contacts between the Church & the Nazis.

Pius XII was in no way, shape or form an ally of Nazi Germany. ODESSA is a myth - an invention of conspiracy theorists and the stuff of fictional novels. The consensus among historians is that it never existed. There certainly were contacts between the Church and Nazis especially as it relates to the occupation of Rome. The purpose of which was to keep them out of Vatican City, prevent deposition of the Pope, and ensure they could still protect the Jews they were hiding there.

Pius XII was in no way, shape or form an ally of Nazi Germany. ODESSA is a myth - an invention of conspiracy theorists and the stuff of fictional novels. The consensus among historians is that it never existed. There certainly were contacts between the Church and Nazis especially as it relates to the occupation of Rome. The purpose of which was to keep them out of Vatican City, prevent deposition of the Pope, and ensure they could still protect the Jews they were hiding there.

Alternative Title: Organisation der Ehemaligen SS-Angehörigen

Odessa, abbreviation of Organisation Der Ehemaligen Ss-angehörigen, (German: “Organization of Former SS Members”), clandestine escape organization of the SS (q.v.) underground, founded probably in early 1947 in Germany. A large organizational network was set up to help former SS and Gestapo members and other high Nazi functionaries to avoid arrest, to acquire legal aid if arrested, to escape from prison, or to be smuggled out of the country. The main escape routes were (1) through Austria and Italy, then to Franco’s Spain, (2) to Arab countries of the Middle East, and (3) to South America, especially Argentina and Paraguay, then under the right-wing regimes of Juan Perón and Alfredo Stroessner. The war criminal Adolf Eichmann was apparently aided by Odessa in traveling to the Middle East and then to South America in the immediate postwar years.

Back
Top Bottom