• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pope begs forgiveness, promises action on abuse

jujuman13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Link
My Way News - Pope begs forgiveness, promises action on abuse

Quote(VATICAN CITY (AP) - Pope Benedict XVI begged forgiveness Friday from clerical abuse victims for the sins of priests and promised to "do everything possible" to ensure that prelates don't rape or molest children ever again.)

Interesting albeit somewhat late.

Quote("We too insistently beg forgiveness from God and from the persons involved, while promising to do everything possible to ensure that such abuse will never occur again," he said.)

Promises promises!!

Quote(Benedict also made similar comments last month en route to Portugal, in which he acknowledged that the "sins from within the church" were responsible for the scandal, not the media or some outside anti-Catholic lobby.)

Seems to have changed his tune!

Quote("A promise is nominally more helpful than an apology. But promises are usually easy to make, hard to keep and broken often if there's no oversight or penalties,)

Exactly

Quote(She said the crux of the problem remained the "nearly limitless power" of bishops and a church structure and culture that allows them to be "virtually answerable to no one." She said that had allowed abusive priests to remain in the ministry for decades.)

When one is answerable to no one, what possible restraints are there?
Oh yes, of course there is always their promise to their God!

Quote(Benedict's own legacy has been tarnished by the scandal, since he was archbishop of Munich in the 1980s when he approved therapy for a suspected pedophile who was allowed to resume pastoral duties while being treated. The priest, the Rev. Peter Hullermann, later was handed a suspended sentence for molesting a boy. In addition, Benedict's legacy at the Vatican office that dealt with sex abuse has come under scrutiny.)

With little if any result other than Papal forgiveness for Papal guilt!

Quote( Benedict said the scandal had shown the need for a purification of the church.)

When something is purified, the purification starts at the top and continues until all of the rotten parts are removed.

Quote("Had the Year for Priests been a glorification of our individual human performance, it would have been ruined by these events," he said. "But for us what happened was precisely the opposite: We grew in gratitude for God's gift.")

I have no doubt someone will be able to explain this paragraph to me.

Quote(A Spanish priest who attended Friday's Mass, the Rev. Davide Torrijus, concurred.

"We have all suffered during the year of the priests" because of the scandal, he said. "It was good for the pope to show also the positive aspects - gratitude for the gift.")

I am still oblivious to what 'gift' is referred to unless it is the 'gift' of the Pope in forgiving himself and the rest of his Church.

Oh well i guess there is no reason he too cannot jump on the band wagon and blame 'Bush'?

I can't explain the paragraph to you. It's gibberish.

I do see this as a good sign. You have to start somewhere. I feel that the Pope is embarrassed beyond belief. I trust him to roll some Bishop heads. Cardinals too, if necessary.

"Had the Year for Priests been a glorification of our individual human performance, it would have been ruined by these events," he said. "But for us what happened was precisely the opposite: We grew in gratitude for God's gift.

"Year for Priests" = Year of the Priest

"God's Gift" = the scandal had shown the need for a purification of the church. (from the line preceding the questioned paragraph)

You could rewrite it this way and it makes more sense - saying the same thing:
""If the "Year of the Priests" was held in praise of our individual achievements or the things we've done this past year these hundreds of new allegations would have ruined the celebration because they would have pointed out our faults. But because we weren't trying to praise ourselves we can consider these new allegations coming to light as a gift from God. . . showing the need for purification of the church.""

Last edited:
Oh well i guess there is no reason he too cannot jump on the band wagon and blame 'Bush'?

Gotta love it. Obama is getting flack for things he had nothing to do with.

Gotta love it. Obama is getting flack for things he had nothing to do with.

haha. . . I think J was trying to say that the Pope could be *like* eveyrone else and blame Bush, somehow :)
Political satire.

Without going into a religious-rant . . . the Catholic Church makes me nervous when they "vow to change" something or "promise to deal with" something. They don't have the greatest track record when it comes to such things so I hope they truly intend to be moral and lawful this time around :shrug:

Last edited:
After telling everyone for years that nothing was happening, it's all overblown, this is all just an attack on Christianity, etc, now we're supposed to believe this?

Sorry Pope you don't get forgiveness from me, since you are a man who let priest do things too children for decades.

Last edited:
This is good stuff. The Church can stand a good beat down. Hopefully the big boys at the top will be squirming for a while, and get their organization in order. Never a more deserving group considering the place in life they like to think they hold.

I think it's interesting that this is the public stance the Church has now that public fallout over the previous dismissive comments that seemed to blame the victims and media for the incidents turned ugly.

Link

Interesting albeit somewhat late.

Indeed! The Catholic church never changes, if there is not pressure from the public. When there is, they whorishly adopt what is popular.

Back
Top Bottom