• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pop music superstar Prince has died at his home in suburban Minneapolis

RedAkston

Master of Shenanigans
Administrator
Dungeon Master
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
https://twitter.com/ap/status/723196712639193088

More to come in the next few hours and days but damn! I was never a big fan but he had some huge hits that have stood the test of time.

Singer Prince dies at 57 - CNN.com

Pop superstar Prince dead at 57 | Fox News

Prince, iconic 'Purple Rain' musician, dead at 57: publicist | MSNBC
Prince, one of America’s most influential and enigmatic rock musicians, had died, according to his publicist.

The Wednesday afternoon announcement came a few hours after authorities in Carver County, Minnesota, responded to Prince’s Paisley Park estate in the town of Chanhassen.

The 57-year-old “Purple Rain” artist’s death came a week after his tour plane made an emergency landing in Illinois, where he was hospitalized with what was described as the flu. That illness followed his cancelling a pair of concerts in Atlanta.

Young. I heard he had a 7 week battle with the flu and lost. That's sad.

Young. I heard he had a 7 week battle with the flu and lost.
But he was found dead in a park, right? I would've expected him to be in a hospital if that were the case.

But then again, it is Prince.

But he was found dead in a park, right? I would've expected him to be in a hospital if that were the case.

His house & grounds are large enough to be called a park, but its still his house.

A very talented man in music, art, and acting.

He was hospitalized for a bit then died at home.

Sad. He was a wildly creative man who still had many productive years ahead of him.

He was hospitalized for a bit then died at home.

in the other thread on this , I noted he had an emergency procedure less than a week ago. Flu like symptoms could mimic something like pancreatic cancer in some cases. It will be interesting to see what happened. Unlike say someone like Jerry Garcia who died about the same age 21 years ago, Prince didn't have obvious signs of physical issues

His house & grounds are large enough to be called a park, but its still his house.

A very talented man in music, art, and acting.
True. But I would've had a doctor or somebody at least checking up on him.

And yeah Prince was very talented. A bit insane, but talented. "Purple Rain" proves as much.

WOW!!!!! This comes as a shock. While I was never a big fan enough to go to a concert or anything, I did buy his greatest hits CD to get three of four tunes I liked like PURPLE RAIN and CORVETTE and did like his movie. He had an energy and a creativity that made him special.

I loved how he used to tweak with the censors all the time. Those of you aware in the 80's... Think back at all you couldn't say or do on the radio and TV compared to now. He pushed the limits back then a lot.

Whoa! RIP. I grew up listening to his music in the 80's.

damn, if we had waited one more day we could have put HIM on the $20. sucks

This is a tough one for me.

Prince punctuated a lot of my youth with his music. Iconic stuff.

Purple Rain still holds up every song today.

Not a fan of his musical style, but no denying his incredible talent. RIP

I just got an email from a friend of mine.....to wit:

"Some guy named PRINCE died today

Sorry for him ... but what’s with all the wall-to-wall coverage on TV? Obama issued a sympathetic statement ... something he forgot to do for the soldiers and police offices killed in the line of duty, and that poor young girl shot on the streets of SF by an illegal alien.

We are going to be hearing about this for a while ... just tell me who this guy was that he gets such attention."

His estate is apparently named Paisley Park. ;)

I just got an email from a friend of mine.....to wit:

"Some guy named PRINCE died today

Sorry for him ... but what’s with all the wall-to-wall coverage on TV? Obama issued a sympathetic statement ... something he forgot to do for the soldiers and police offices killed in the line of duty, and that poor young girl shot on the streets of SF by an illegal alien.

We are going to be hearing about this for a while ... just tell me who this guy was that he gets such attention."

Like it or not, the man was in the same league as John Lennon, Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson or Andrew Lloyd Weber as a musical giant. Of course his passing is going to get lots of attention just as say the death of any other guy who was a seminal part of his profession would get.

This man sold over 100 million records IIRC and was known around the world. He won 7 grammys and an academy award. this man was not some minor league celebrity.

Rumors now's that this was due to complications from AIDS.

Rumors now's that this was due to complications from AIDS.

I had heard something to that effect=that he may have had AIDS though I cannot find much on this

I had heard something to that effect=that he may have had AIDS though I cannot find much on this
He apparently stopped taking medication he'd been on for a long time.

April has been a historically bad month for the music industry. Muddy Waters (1983), Marvin Gaye (1984), Kurt Cobain (1994), Joey Ramone (2001), Layne Staley (2002), Dick Clark (2012), George Jones (2013), Percy Sledge (2015), Ben E. King (2015), Merle Haggard (2016) and Prince (2016). Every last one of these people were pioneers and legends in the music industry and all died in the month of April. Can we get through the remainder of the month without losing another legend please?

Back
Top Bottom